Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of our existence: Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism ~ Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

2 posters

A brief history of Tarot

Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

A brief history of Tarot Empty A brief history of Tarot

Post by Candlelight.kk Sat 31 Aug 2019 - 17:05

Tarot:  A Brief History

According to Tarot historian Tom Tadfor Little, traditional playing cards were first seen in Europe in 1375, having been brought over from the Islamic societies where they had been used for centuries before that. These cards were not, however, Tarot cards. At this point, he says, there is no evidence to show that Tarot cards had yet been created, which goes against many claims that ordinary playing cards evolved from the original Tarot deck.

It wasn't until 1440 that the cards that were most likely the origin of Tarot cards were first mentioned. In a letter from the Duke of Milan, there was a request for several decks of "triumph" cards to be used at a special event. The letter differentiated triumph cards from regular "playing" cards. It does appear, however, that the first Tarot decks were created as a game. There were four suits with cards numbered one through 10 and also court cards that included a queen, king, knight and page. The deck also included 22 symbolic picture cards that did not belong to any suit. The decks were used to play a game called triumph that was similar to bridge. In triumph, 21 of the 22 special picture cards were permanent trump cards. The game spread quickly to all parts of Europe. People began referring to as tarocchi, which is an Italian version of the French word tarot, around 1530.

In 1781, in France and England, followers of the occult discovered Tarot cards. They saw the symbolic pictures of the cards as having more meaning than the simple trump cards they were used for at the time. They used the cards as a divination tool, and occult writers wrote about "the Tarot." After this, the Tarot became a part of occult philosophy.

There are also those who believe that Tarot cards originated in Egypt. In some circles, they are thought to be the sole surviving "book" from the great fire that burned the libraries of ancient Egypt. In this theory, the cards are considered to be the hieroglyphical keys to life.
    Source: [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

For more information on Tarot cards, Tarot card reading and related topics, check out the links that follow.

Related Articles

• How ESP Works
    • How Firewalking Works
    • How Horoscopes Work
    • How Nostradamus Works
    • How Witchcraft Works
    • How Deja Vu Works
    • How Near-death Experiences Work
    • How Ghosts Work
    • How the Bermuda Triangle Works

More Great Links

• Aeclectic Tarot: Tarot Deck Categories
    • American Tarot Association
    • Learning the Tarot
    • FiveThirtyEight: I Went to a Psychic and Then Found Out How Right She Really Was

Sources

• Aeclectic Tarot. "Tarot Decks By Style and Category." 2018 (Aug. 24, 2018) [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
    • American Tarot Association website. 2018 (Aug. 24, 2018) [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
    • Bunning, Joan. "Learning the Tarot." 2007 (Aug. 24, 2018) [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
    • Carroll, Robert Todd. "Tarot Cards." The Skeptic's Dictionary. Dec. 23, 2013 (Aug. 24, 2018) [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
    • Crystalinks. "Tarot." 2018 (Aug. 24, 2018) [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
    • The Hermitage: A Tarot History Site. [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
    mac
    mac

A brief history of Tarot Empty Re: A brief history of Tarot

Post by mac Sat 31 Aug 2019 - 18:03

On other websites at various times I've asked Tarot practitioners how their 'skill' works and what Tarot can do.  Generally they're unable to answer either question in any depth, often explaining what the 'face value' of the cards is and how they're used but not what help or assistance they provide.

I can remember only one who gave a clear explanation I could relate to.

(ayup, mi duck!  Is that a new avatar I've been given?  gigle )
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Sat 31 Aug 2019 - 19:17

mac wrote:On other websites at various times I've asked Tarot practitioners how their 'skill' works and what Tarot can do.  Generally they're unable to answer either question in any depth, often explaining what the 'face value' of the cards is and how they're used but not what help or assistance they provide.

During my year living and working in Libya, a newly arrived expat turned out to be a spiritual medium, who had brought her own pack of Tarot cards with her.  She explained how there are many different ways and uses with the Tarot, depending on the person using them and also the 'sitter'.  To begin with, she put the full pack down and asked me to pull out whichever card I was drawn to, and whilst doing so that I ask a specific question - in my mind, not out loud, for which she would give only a 'yes' or 'no' answer.  I concentrated hard on that question while choosing my card, and not only did she give the answer as 'yes', but then went on to give a whole load more very specific details relating to the specific question (without knowing what the question was!) - and I mean really specific to that question.  I was flabergasted at the detail.  She then told me that as I held the card my mother (in spirit) had come through to her very clearly to address the question and had brought through those specific extra details - which only she could have known!  We had only just met and apart from all of that information, she would have had no way of knowing that my mother was deceased.  She said herself that she was surprised at how clearly and strongly my mother had come through and how she had insisted upon giving all the extra detail regarding the question.  A plain, simple 'yes' would not be enough, and I needed to know more about the situation. (My mother to a 'T')

(ayup, mi duck! Is that a new avatar I've been given? gigle )

It's the new default avatar which shows before any member allots their own choice (the anonymous ghost).
    You can of course always change it by putting in another one of your choice. Then, if you decide to delete that, the cute little ghost will automatically come back again to haunt you.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sat 31 Aug 2019 - 20:28

mac wrote:On other websites at various times I've asked Tarot practitioners how their 'skill' works and what Tarot can do.  Generally they're unable to answer either question in any depth, often explaining what the 'face value' of the cards is and how they're used but not what help or assistance they provide.

Candlelight.kk wrote:During my year living and working in Libya, a newly arrived expat turned out to be a spiritual medium, who had brought her own pack of Tarot cards with her.  She explained how there are many different ways and uses with the Tarot, depending on the person using them and also the 'sitter'.  To begin with, she put the full pack down and asked me to pull out whichever card I was drawn to, and whilst doing so that I ask a specific question - in my mind, not out loud, for which she would give only a 'yes' or 'no' answer.  I concentrated hard on that question while choosing my card, and not only did she give the answer as 'yes', but then went on to give a whole load more very specific details relating to the specific question (without knowing what the question was!) - and I mean really specific to that question.  I was flabergasted at the detail.  She then told me that as I held the card my mother (in spirit) had come through to her very clearly to address the question and had brought through those specific extra details - which only she could have known!  We had only just met and apart from all of that information, she would have had no way of knowing that my mother was deceased.  She said herself that she was surprised at how clearly and strongly my mother had come through and how she had insisted upon giving all the extra detail regarding the question.  A plain, simple 'yes' would not be enough, and I needed to know more about the situation. (My mother to a 'T')

That was a brilliant, unexpectedly good sitting with an unknown evidential medium, kk.   very happy   If only they could be like that routinely for everyone seeking one.....  Interesting, too, that the Tarot cards had little - if any - importance other than perhaps to act as a focus for the medium.  If that's a fair assessment then I'd hazard a guess it's a similar situation for other practitioners, be they mediums or just psychics.

mac wrote:ayup, mi duck!  Is that a new avatar I've been given?  gigle

Candlelight.kk wrote:It's the new default avatar which shows before any member allots their own choice (the anonymous ghost).  
    You can of course always change it by putting in another one of your choice.  Then, if you decide to delete that, the cute little ghost will automatically come back again to haunt you.

Oh I'm perfectly happy with my spooky avatar.  Wink very happy
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Sat 31 Aug 2019 - 21:06

mac wrote:Interesting, too, that the Tarot cards had little - if any - importance other than perhaps to act as a focus for the medium. If that's a fair assessment then I'd hazard a guess it's a similar situation for other practitioners, be they mediums or just psychics.

Yes, but perhaps importantly, a focus not just for the medium or psychic, but for the sitter also. A focus point creating an interaction.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sat 31 Aug 2019 - 21:34

Candlelight.kk wrote:
    mac wrote:Interesting, too, that the Tarot cards had little - if any - importance other than perhaps to act as a focus for the medium.  If that's a fair assessment then I'd hazard a guess it's a similar situation for other practitioners, be they mediums or just psychics.

Yes, but perhaps importantly, a focus not just for the medium or psychic, but for the sitter also.  A focus point creating an interaction.
    Is that actually how it felt for you?  I have to say that's not what I drew from what you'd described.
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Sat 31 Aug 2019 - 22:32

mac wrote:
    Candlelight.kk wrote:
    mac wrote:Interesting, too, that the Tarot cards had little - if any - importance other than perhaps to act as a focus for the medium.  If that's a fair assessment then I'd hazard a guess it's a similar situation for other practitioners, be they mediums or just psychics.

Yes, but perhaps importantly, a focus not just for the medium or psychic, but for the sitter also.  A focus point creating an interaction.
    Is that actually how it felt for you?  I have to say that's not what I drew from what you'd described.

Not at the time. It's only afterwards when thinking back on it ... how hard I was concentrating my mind on that question. Was I perhaps projecting the question out into the ether ... or something like that.
    I would add here that although I had previously been to the SAGB on a number of occasions attending the open demonstrations there over the years, I had not been there for a long period, and a couple of weeks before heading off to start my job in Libya, I had rung up to check whether somebody from the company (Agip Oil) would be meeting me at Tripoli airport, only to be told that oh no, I would not be able to travel there by plane, as since my interview and being offered the job some months back, the United Nations Security Council had now imposed sanctions throughout Libya (because of the Lockerbie bombing). The airport was now closed and Libya was a no-fly zone. I had two choices: (1) to fly to Malta and get the boat over to the port of Tripoli; or (2) fly to Tunisia, with then a short flight to Djerba, a desert island off Tunisia, where I would be met by one of the company's drivers for the long overland journey through Tunisia, crossing through the border into Libya and then on to Tripoli to the villa compound where I would be staying. I plumped for the latter, being a much more exciting prospect, and having the chance to see more of the country. pirat
    With all this looming, I was beginning to have second thoughts about going through with it all, and I decided to go along to SAGB - with that one question in mind! in the hope that I might just get a message.

I did! The medium on the platform picked me out of the audience - and said straight away that I was soon to be travelling abroad for my work! That I had been humming and hawing about whether it was a good decision, and that yes, it was! it would be very good for me spiritually, and that even though I was going on my own, I would not be alone - as spirit would be there with me!!!
    The one question that was highest in my mind, the reason why I was there that evening, had been answered - and so much more ...
    Now, if that had been the first time ever going to a demonstration such as that, I would have been convinced that the medium was reading my mind. But of course, I now know better as to how mediumship works and the many different ways that spirit work with us.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sun 1 Sep 2019 - 11:03

I remember your telling us that story before, kk.  My visit to the SAGB - after the trauma of the loss of our baby son that began my time 'in the spooks' - yielded nothing.  It was a waste of time and money getting there and the mediumship, paid for one-to-one appointment, was crap.  Fortunately we had other support and laughed the visit off.  Your visit brought the opposite result for you and provided the reassurance you needed.  We might reflect on possible reasons for the different experiences and outcomes.

Do our friends unseen always know what we planned before we came here and then prompt and encourage us to follow the path we've chosen?  Should we try to remain open to such prompting and encouragement? 

Or do we get just their personal opinions about what we should do or avoid?  If we were to feel we were being moved in an unexpected direction should we follow that direction - trusting in 'spirit' - or should we assert personal responsibility for our destiny?
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Sun 8 Sep 2019 - 1:13

mac wrote:We might reflect on possible reasons for the different experiences and outcomes.

Do our friends unseen always know what we planned before we came here and then prompt and encourage us to follow the path we've chosen?  Should we try to remain open to such prompting and encouragement? 

Or do we get just their personal opinions about what we should do or avoid?  If we were to feel we were being moved in an unexpected direction should we follow that direction - trusting in 'spirit' - or should we assert personal responsibility for our destiny?

I think possibly Charlie Kelly has given a plausible answer to those questions in his latest video below, where in the video he refers to a quote by medium Gordon Smith in a recent post somewhere, where Gordon was speaking on that very subject:

mac
    mac

Post by mac Mon 9 Sep 2019 - 21:10

Candlelight.kk wrote:
    mac wrote:We might reflect on possible reasons for the different experiences and outcomes.

I think possibly Charlie Kelly has given a plausible answer to those questions in his latest video below, where in the video he refers to a quote by medium Gordon Smith in a recent post somewhere, where Gordon was speaking on that very subject:

He was telling my story....  

The questions in my last paragraph were rhetorical as I'm sure folk will have understood.  It's reassuring to hear a medium explaining what evidential mediumship is - and what it ain't.  It's something I often find myself doing although less often than it used to be.  I can't tell if I'm weary of battling or if folk are looking for something different.  

Charlie Kelly is undoubtedly right that some will be made uncomfortable by his stance in a similar way that some folk get exercised by mine.  He uses his words to say much the same as I do using my own.  Rarely do I get anyone endorsing mine but I've grown more-or-less resigned to that.

Charlie Kelly briefly mentioned 'a card' but presumably was talking about Tarot.

Current date/time is Thu 2 May 2024 - 5:29