Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of our existence: Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism ~ Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

2 posters

Spiritualism today ....

Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Spiritualism today .... Empty Spiritualism today ....

Post by Candlelight.kk Sun 3 Mar 2019 - 15:05

This article in the news today:
    'Modern Spiritualism: Meet the young people who believe they’re communicating with the dead'
    Why are some millennials turning to the supernatural?

I’m sitting in a circle with Ashley and three other young women: Ivymay, 26, who works at a local museum, Nichola, 29, a civil servant, and Charlie, 34, a learning and development worker.

You might know what’s going on here as a seance. It’s exactly as you’d imagine, except there are no candles. Instead, battery-powered LED flames flicker around us. “It’s a health and safety thing,” Ashley says. “Burning candles would have pushed our insurance up too much.”
    Rolling Eyes    Read more:  [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
    mac
    mac

Spiritualism today .... Empty Re: Spiritualism today ....

Post by mac Sun 3 Mar 2019 - 17:35

Oh dear - what a mish-mash of badly-reported ideas. 

I could have quoted other bits but this one caught my eye as I was flicking through the report:

"Today, it seems Spiritualist practices are booming. Last August, it was reported that the owners of tarot card deck, Motherpeace Tarot, which was created in the 1970s in the US and is now sold internationally, had seen a 268% boom in sales in the previous six months. Astrology app Co-Star has attracted more than a million users since it launched in 2017. Last year, the US psychic services industry made $2bn in revenue, a 2% increase from five years previous."

The adjective 'Spiritualist' is associated with noun 'Spiritualism' (ie the philosophy cum religion) or at least it is in my mind and in the way I write both.  But (quote) "Motherpeace Tarot......" (and the crap that follows in the paragraph) is suggested to be a "Spiritualist practice...." - shidad!  sadface Rolling Eyes
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Spiritualism today .... Empty Spiritualism today ....

Post by Candlelight.kk Sun 3 Mar 2019 - 18:27

mac wrote:Oh dear - what a mish-mash of badly-reported ideas. 

I've seen this type of 'news article' before... presented from a 'journalistic' viewpoint.  Funny how Chris French's name always seem to crop up somewhere in the reporting, giving his usual monologue about 'cold reading', 'Barnum Effect' and his now well-worn mantra: “Whenever this kind of thing is put to the test, under properly controlled conditions, even those mediums who genuinely think they have a gift don’t seem able to do what they claim. Although, I genuinely think they are sincere. "  Oh, and magician Derren Brown's name always seems to get a mention too.  
    I actually met Chris French a few years back at the UK-Skeptics Conference weekend in Muncaster Castle -
    (see [Only admins are allowed to see this link][Only admins are allowed to see this link] ).
    There were three of us from the Spiritlove forum who went along together, and stayed in the Castle for the duration of the Conference, with a couple of extra days spent exploring the beautiful countryside.
    In one of the breaks between lectures, I literally bumped into Mr French at the coffee machine and started to have what I thought and hoped to have been a nice discussion ... All was fine until I mentioned that I was with the Spiritlove forum - his face and whole attitude changed and he all of a sudden had to dash off ... wave  

PS:  I realise now that I have posted this 'Spiritualism today ...' article in the wrong place.  I had actually intended adding it to the 'Am I a Spiritualist?' topic started by you, mac.  I will switch over all the relevant posts to that topic later, just as soon as I get the chance.
    ETA:  Well, that turned out to be a bit complicated, so instead I have started a new topic (Spiritualism today ...).
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sun 3 Mar 2019 - 23:40

I'm lucky.  I used to get incensed by such events but now it doesn't much bother me EXCEPT that it sends the wrong message to individuals who deserve something better.

I can't place this Chris French fella although somewhere in the empty recesses of my mind something seems familiar.
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Sun 3 Mar 2019 - 23:51

mac wrote:

I can't place this Chris French fella although somewhere in the empty recesses of my mind something seems familiar.

From post no. 49 here arrow [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

mac
    mac

Post by mac Mon 4 Mar 2019 - 3:31

Candlelight.kk wrote:
    mac wrote:

From post no. 49 here arrow   [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

interesting

So that's Frenchie.....  Interesting interview but French was guessing (possibly using a little psychic ability) and Smith appeared to me to mostly be carrying out psychic reading. 

Was any mediumship evident - was it even supposed to be?
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Mon 4 Mar 2019 - 15:30

mac wrote:So that's Frenchie.....  Interesting interview but French was guessing (possibly using a little psychic ability) and Smith appeared to me to mostly be carrying out psychic reading. 

" ...French was guessing (possibly using a little psychic ability) "  Chris French - psychic ability??  eek   No

Professor Chris French is the Head of the Anomalistic Psychology Research Unit in the Psychology Department at Goldsmiths, University of London. He is a Fellow of the British Psychological Society and of the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry and a Patron of the British Humanist Association. He has published over 150 articles and chapters covering a wide range of topics. His main current area of research is the psychology of paranormal beliefs and anomalous experiences. He frequently appears on radio and television casting a sceptical eye over paranormal claims. His most recent book is Anomalistic Psychology: Exploring Paranormal Belief and Experience.

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

The idea of the programme was (from French's point of view) to try to demonstrate that anyone (with or without psychic ability) can give a convincing reading using 'cold-reading' techniques (very general statements which can fit with most people, whatever their circumstances)... "Most people know someone called John", etc ... (techniques, for which it is a known fact, that a lot of people who make a very lucrative living within the psychic industry do use).
    It didn't quite work out the way he had expected though, as the lady (Angela) who was recently grieving and who really needed some sort of acknowledgement and comfort in her grief got absolutely nothing from French's generic 'guessing', whereas with Gordon, she was comforted and convinced with specifics (one example: the sense of the man with smiling eyes who passed with a heart condition & hearing him singing the song 'Angie Baby' - which turns out was a song her dad (recently passed with a heart condition) used to sing to her all the time ...

As far as mediumship was concerned, it would appear that the focus of the programme was on psychic reading - i.e. picking up on the energies surrounding the person. It's a pity we couldn't actually see the full recordings of each of the readings, but of course it was a TV programme and apart from the time involved, there are certain restrictions that have to be adhered to.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Mon 4 Mar 2019 - 19:59

Candlelight.kk wrote:
    mac wrote:So that's Frenchie.....  Interesting interview but French was guessing (possibly using a little psychic ability) and Smith appeared to me to mostly be carrying out psychic reading. 

" ...French was guessing (possibly using a little psychic ability) "  Chris French - psychic ability??  eek   No

Professor Chris French is the Head of the Anomalistic Psychology Research Unit in the Psychology Department at Goldsmiths, University of London. He is a Fellow of the British Psychological Society and of the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry and a Patron of the British Humanist Association. He has published over 150 articles and chapters covering a wide range of topics. His main current area of research is the psychology of paranormal beliefs and anomalous experiences. He frequently appears on radio and television casting a sceptical eye over paranormal claims. His most recent book is Anomalistic Psychology: Exploring Paranormal Belief and Experience.

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

The idea of the programme was (from French's point of view) to try to demonstrate that anyone (with or without psychic ability) can give a convincing reading using 'cold-reading' techniques (very general statements which can fit with most people, whatever their circumstances)... "Most people know someone called John", etc ... (techniques, for which it is a known fact, that a lot of people who make a very lucrative living within the psychic industry do use).
    It didn't quite work out the way he had expected though, as the lady (Angela) who was recently grieving and who really needed some sort of acknowledgement and comfort in her grief got absolutely nothing from French's generic 'guessing', whereas with Gordon, she was comforted and convinced with specifics (one example: the sense of the man with smiling eyes who passed with a heart condition & hearing him singing the song 'Angie Baby' - which turns out was a song her dad (recently passed with a heart condition) used to sing to her all the time ...  

As far as mediumship was concerned, it would appear that the focus of the programme was on psychic reading - i.e. picking up on the energies surrounding the person.  It's a pity we couldn't actually see the full recordings of each of the readings, but of course it was a TV programme and apart from the time involved, there are certain restrictions that have to be adhered to.
    That's a shame as I would have guessed Gordon is known much more for mediumship rather than his psychic reading ability.  But maybe I've got that wrong?  It's what I associate him with, though.....

Current date/time is Thu 2 May 2024 - 0:54