Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism: Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

Top posting users this month

Latest topics

» As above, so below
by Candlelight.kk Yesterday at 09:42

» ALL Forumotion forums were down for a time this morning
by ariel 15th July 2018, 17:10

» Explore with questions
by Candlelight.kk 12th July 2018, 14:13

» Science and the Séance (BBC Documentary)
by Candlelight.kk 9th July 2018, 23:56

» Pioneer Journal
by mac 9th July 2018, 20:27

» What is GDPR ?
by Misty 8th July 2018, 15:11

» Society for Scientific Exploration
by ariel 5th July 2018, 18:17

» Psychic News - June 2018
by mac 4th July 2018, 17:42

» Amy Winehouse's father receives afterdeath visits from her
by Candlelight.kk 3rd July 2018, 22:00

» Take a break!
by Candlelight.kk 3rd July 2018, 15:26

» OCHOROWICZ, Julian Leopold
by Candlelight.kk 2nd July 2018, 22:53

» Hello everybody
by Brian 2nd July 2018, 10:57

» Fairytale: A True Story - Review - The Cottingley Fairies
by Candlelight.kk 30th June 2018, 23:58

» More to dying than meets the eye:
by Candlelight.kk 28th June 2018, 12:51

» Psychic News - July 2018
by mac 26th June 2018, 21:55

» The Afterlife Investigations: The Scole Experiment
by Misty 22nd June 2018, 21:19

» Know yourself
by Candlelight.kk 22nd June 2018, 14:11

» SNU - SOS (Save Our Spiritualism)
by Misty 20th June 2018, 15:23

» Live your own life
by Candlelight.kk 20th June 2018, 13:25

» SUDRE, René
by Candlelight.kk 11th June 2018, 22:19

» OSTY, Eugène
by Candlelight.kk 11th June 2018, 19:32

» What does 'The Truth' Campaign really stand for?
by JDBP 9th June 2018, 16:46

» Soul lives in connection
by Candlelight.kk 8th June 2018, 16:30

» Mark Twain: Talking with Spirits
by Candlelight.kk 3rd June 2018, 12:23

» SIDGWICK, Henry
by Candlelight.kk 2nd June 2018, 18:39

» In the dark with Gary Mannion (finally exposed as FRAUD)
by JDBP 2nd June 2018, 18:32

» 78 years of past Psychic News in newspaper format to become available online to read free of charge
by JDBP 2nd June 2018, 18:27

» The Return of The Maestro
by JDBP 2nd June 2018, 18:20

» Eleanor Mildred Sidgwick
by Candlelight.kk 2nd June 2018, 17:52

» Kindred Spirit magazine
by Candlelight.kk 2nd June 2018, 15:14

» Aaaargh! Why Facebook?
by Candlelight.kk 2nd June 2018, 15:05

» The Spirits' Book
by mac 30th May 2018, 14:56

» The Life and Work of Mrs Piper
by Candlelight.kk 30th May 2018, 12:41

» Psychical Research and Survival
by Candlelight.kk 30th May 2018, 12:22

» THOMPSON, Joseph John
by Candlelight.kk 30th May 2018, 12:17

» De SANCTIS, Sante
by Candlelight.kk 29th May 2018, 16:42

» 6666
by mac 29th May 2018, 14:59

» Notification of new PMs (Private Messages) [solved]
by Candlelight.kk 28th May 2018, 22:22

» Scandinavian mythology
by Brian 28th May 2018, 15:07

» WICKLAND, Carl August
by Candlelight.kk 27th May 2018, 23:13

» Kulning
by Brian 27th May 2018, 23:01

» Thirty Years Among the Dead
by Candlelight.kk 27th May 2018, 22:53

» The Gateway of Understanding
by Candlelight.kk 27th May 2018, 22:47

» WALLACE, Alfred Russel
by Candlelight.kk 27th May 2018, 22:28

» MORRIS, Robert Lyle
by Candlelight.kk 27th May 2018, 22:01

» STRATTON, Frederick John Marrian
by Candlelight.kk 27th May 2018, 11:46

» Why are you here?
by Candlelight.kk 27th May 2018, 11:27

» What is Your Psychological Archetype? - Quiz
by Brian 26th May 2018, 17:57

» Nature says leave them alone
by Candlelight.kk 26th May 2018, 14:14

» A Celtic Blessing
by Brian 26th May 2018, 12:43

» Dislikes
by Brian 26th May 2018, 12:27

» What made you smile today?
by Brian 26th May 2018, 12:02

» RICHET, Prof. Charles Robert
by Candlelight.kk 25th May 2018, 10:51

» Psi Encyclopedia
by Candlelight.kk 25th May 2018, 00:23

» RAUDIVE, Dr. Konstantin
by Candlelight.kk 24th May 2018, 19:05

» SWEDENBORG, Emanuel
by Candlelight.kk 24th May 2018, 15:10

» STEAD, William Thomas
by Candlelight.kk 24th May 2018, 14:21

» RHINE, Joseph Banks
by Candlelight.kk 23rd May 2018, 19:27

» OESTERREICH, Traugott Konstantin
by Candlelight.kk 23rd May 2018, 19:11

» Capture your inspiration!
by Candlelight.kk 22nd May 2018, 22:24

» TURING, Alan
by Candlelight.kk 22nd May 2018, 19:06

» PICKERING, Edward Charles
by Candlelight.kk 22nd May 2018, 18:37

» ROY, Archie Edmiston
by Candlelight.kk 22nd May 2018, 18:17

» LYTTLETON, Dame Edith Sophy
by Candlelight.kk 22nd May 2018, 18:01

» PRINCE, Morton Henry
by Candlelight.kk 21st May 2018, 15:33

» PRICE, Henry Habberley
by Candlelight.kk 21st May 2018, 15:23

» PRICE, Harry
by Candlelight.kk 21st May 2018, 15:20

» PRATT, Morris
by Candlelight.kk 21st May 2018, 15:14

» PODMORE, Frank
by Candlelight.kk 21st May 2018, 15:08

» OWEN, Robert Dale
by Candlelight.kk 21st May 2018, 14:55

» OUSPENSKY, Peter D.
by Candlelight.kk 21st May 2018, 14:53

» At The Hour of Death
by Candlelight.kk 21st May 2018, 14:44

» OSIS, Dr Karlis
by Candlelight.kk 21st May 2018, 14:41

» Old Diary Leaves: The True Story of the Theosophical Society
by Candlelight.kk 21st May 2018, 14:33

» OLCOTT, Henry Steel
by Candlelight.kk 21st May 2018, 14:27

» NEOGGERATH, Rufina
by Candlelight.kk 21st May 2018, 12:47

» NEIHARDT, Prof. John Gneisenau
by Candlelight.kk 21st May 2018, 11:15

» MYERS, Frederic William Henry
by Candlelight.kk 21st May 2018, 10:51

» MURPHY, Gardner
by Candlelight.kk 21st May 2018, 10:47

» MORSELLI, Enrico "Henry" Agostini
by Candlelight.kk 21st May 2018, 10:45

» MOORE, William Usborne
by Candlelight.kk 21st May 2018, 10:42

» MONROE, Robert Allan
by Candlelight.kk 21st May 2018, 10:39

» MESMER, Franz Anton
by Candlelight.kk 21st May 2018, 10:35

» MEEK, George W.
by Candlelight.kk 21st May 2018, 10:33

» McDOUGALL, William
by Candlelight.kk 21st May 2018, 10:25

» SAGB is moving to a new address
by Candlelight.kk 21st May 2018, 09:55

» MARRYAT, Florence
by Candlelight.kk 20th May 2018, 13:52

» MAITLAND, Edward
by Candlelight.kk 20th May 2018, 13:47

» MACK, John Edward
by Candlelight.kk 20th May 2018, 13:45

» LOMBROSO, Cesare
by Candlelight.kk 20th May 2018, 13:43

» LODGE, Sir Oliver Joseph
by Candlelight.kk 20th May 2018, 13:35

» Was Abraham Lincoln a Spiritualist?
by Candlelight.kk 20th May 2018, 13:23

» Physical Proofs of Another Life
by Candlelight.kk 20th May 2018, 13:17

» LIPPIT, Francis James
by Candlelight.kk 20th May 2018, 13:15

» LINCOLN, Abraham
by Candlelight.kk 20th May 2018, 13:13

» LEES, Robert James
by Candlelight.kk 20th May 2018, 13:03

» LANG, Andrew
by Candlelight.kk 20th May 2018, 12:59

» LANCELIN, Charles
by Candlelight.kk 20th May 2018, 12:57

» LAFONTAINE, Charles
by Candlelight.kk 20th May 2018, 12:46

The Psi Encyclopedia

Created by the Society for
Psychical Research in London,
the Psi Encyclopedia is a collection
of articles and case studies about psi research, the scientific investigation of psychic phenomena. (see post)

Contents A-Z

Library of free online reading

A collection of FREE online reading relating to Spiritualism/Psi research
past & present.

Click HERE to enter

Top posting users this week

_____ KRAZY KATS FORUM _____


Kitkat's friendly informal online community discussing life issues that we care about.
Open 24/7 for chat & chill.
Visit Krazy Kats forum here:
https://krazykats.forumotion.co.uk/

The Forum Café


A meeting place for forumites to socialise in a friendly environment and keep up to date with what's going on in Forumland.
Caffy's Forum Café is open 24/7.
https://forumcafe.forumotion.co.uk/

what's its value?

Share

mac
VIP Member
VIP Member

Posts : 639
Location : lives in central England, UK
Likes received : 17
Job/hobbies : retired

what's its value?

Post by mac on 19th September 2017, 14:13

I know I'm fortunate because I don't need reassurance about survival.  Elsewhere, though, I encounter individuals who do.  They come in dire need of it but with nowhere to go - literally.  

They live in countries where there isn't the network of Spiritualist churches and centres we enjoy here in the UK.  Especially peculiar that's the case where Modern Spiritualism has its roots - the USA.  Less so, perhaps, elsewhere.  Even in the UK, though, "fings ain't wot they used to be" and Spiritualist mediumship isn't either.

On another website, in other forums, I 'meet' members desperate about the loss of a loved one. I hesitate to suggest Spiritualist teachings as a way to grasp the fundamentals.  Not because I've 'lost my faith' but because what's missing is the very thing that sets Modern Spiritualism apart from all the others; good standards of evidential mediumship provided by experienced practitioners.

If there isn't someone who can offer personal evidence of the survival of a loved one when that's what's most needed, what does Spiritualism have to offer other than belief, something that's anathema to me.

At a time when modern technology enables us to communicate with folk around the world we find ourselves less able to provide evidence of survival through mediumship than was the situation half a century and more ago.
avatar
Candlelight.kk
.
.

Posts : 2561
Location : London
Likes received : 56

Re: what's its value?

Post by Candlelight.kk on 19th September 2017, 16:14

mac wrote:
At a time when modern technology enables us to communicate with folk around the world we find ourselves less able to provide evidence of survival through mediumships than was the situation half a century and more ago.

On the contrary - half a century ago, the practice of Spiritualism/Mediumship was an underground activity confined to the parlours and secret venues of an elite portion of society.  Modern technology has proved intrinsically instrumental in demystifying the essentials of Spiritualism by bringing Mediumship into the homes and lives of ordinary people.
The advent of TV, in particular (with the involvement of people like Doris Stokes, etc) aided greatly in bringing awareness (and with it comfort and hope) to people all over the world.
There are folk who maintain that physical mediumship and its accompanying phenomena is the only worthwhile form of "evidential mediumship".  I disagree, wholeheartedly, with this notion.
I think the problem arises (if there is one) when we try to break down all the various facets of mediumship and put them into separate boxes and compartments, i.e. Physical, Mental, Healing, etc.  True Mediumship (thus, Spiritualism) is an amalgamation of many of these aspects which when added together, can result in the much sought-after "evidence".

mac
VIP Member
VIP Member

Posts : 639
Location : lives in central England, UK
Likes received : 17
Job/hobbies : retired

Re: what's its value?

Post by mac on 19th September 2017, 17:33

Shows how differently we see the situation...
avatar
Candlelight.kk
.
.

Posts : 2561
Location : London
Likes received : 56

Re: what's its value?

Post by Candlelight.kk on 19th September 2017, 18:18

mac wrote:Shows how differently we see the situation...

How so?

I am not aware that we (you and I) see matters of mediumship all that differently.
What exactly do you mean by "the situation" ?

mac
VIP Member
VIP Member

Posts : 639
Location : lives in central England, UK
Likes received : 17
Job/hobbies : retired

Re: what's its value?

Post by mac on 19th September 2017, 18:43

Candlelight.kk wrote:
mac wrote:Shows how differently we see the situation...

How so?

I am not aware that we (you and I) see matters of mediumship all that differently.
What exactly do you mean by "the situation" ?
Your opening words in posting #2 were: "On the contrary...."   That gave me the impression you didn't see things as I do.  You went on to say "Modern technology has proved intrinsically instrumental in demystifying the essentials of Spiritualism by bringing Mediumship into the homes and lives of ordinary people.".

Yours is a different perspective from mine.
avatar
Candlelight.kk
.
.

Posts : 2561
Location : London
Likes received : 56

Re: what's its value?

Post by Candlelight.kk on 19th September 2017, 23:00

mac wrote:
Candlelight.kk wrote:
mac wrote:Shows how differently we see the situation...

How so?

I am not aware that we (you and I) see matters of mediumship all that differently.
What exactly do you mean by "the situation" ?
Your opening words in posting #2 were: "On the contrary...."   That gave me the impression you didn't see things as I do.  You went on to say "Modern technology has proved intrinsically instrumental in demystifying the essentials of Spiritualism by bringing Mediumship into the homes and lives of ordinary people."

We could well be talking at cross-purposes here.  My "On the contrary..." was directed at your stated view - that "we find ourselves less able to provide evidence of survival through mediumship than was the situation half a century and more ago".  I don't find that to be the case.  

There is much more widespread awareness and knowledge of, and indeed, interest in, the concept of Mediumship nowadays, because modern technology has enabled the knowledge to become more readily available to the masses, rather than being kept hidden away in darkened rooms.  Is not the overall aim of Mediumship practice to help provide awareness of our survival after death?  To provide closure, comfort and hope to those who are bereaved and in despair over the loss of a loved one, or to provide some form of understanding, solace, comfort and preparation when the time comes to make their own goodbyes?  Technology has helped to spread this awareness so much further afield - and Mental Mediumship can do this on a far greater scale, reaching audiences that may not even be aware that there are people sitting "in Circle", experimenting for many years, who are fully aware of the concept of survival.  This is indeed essential and beneficial work for the Spiritualist Movement, for sure, but isn't in itself directly helping the bereaved and desolate and scared.   Physical Mediumship is not available to all and sundry, and many folk will never get the chance throughout their lives to witness this form of survival.  There are plenty who would not wish to! Nor indeed do they need to.  

mac wrote:Yours is a different perspective from mine.

Possibly - but my perspective is not just concerning one particular, unquantified and indefinable situation - there are so many different 'situations' to consider, all uniting and blending under the umbrella of 'Spiritualism' ....

mac
VIP Member
VIP Member

Posts : 639
Location : lives in central England, UK
Likes received : 17
Job/hobbies : retired

Re: what's its value?

Post by mac on 20th September 2017, 06:42

I wrote:

"I know I'm fortunate because I don't need reassurance about survival.  Elsewhere, though, I encounter individuals who do.  They come in dire need of it but with nowhere to go - literally.  


They live in countries where there isn't the network of Spiritualist churches and centres we enjoy here in the UK.  Especially peculiar that's the case where Modern Spiritualism has its roots - the USA."

This is the situation as I find it.  I have found that talking about the philosophy and religion of Modern Spiritualism with its 'promise' of evidence of survival via communication through mediumship doesn't work for them for the reason I mention in the paragraph above.

It seems there are some good mediums but charges can be very high and finding a good medium can be harder even than in the UK because they're perhaps fewer and are certainly more far between.  Phone consultations may be more practical elsewhere because they're easier to find than a face-to-face sitting but that's my guess and I have no data to prove it.
avatar
Misty
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Posts : 351
Likes received : 10

Re: what's its value?

Post by Misty on 21st September 2017, 22:24

mac wrote:Phone consultations may be more practical elsewhere because they're easier to find than a face-to-face sitting but that's my guess and I have no data to prove it.

I dont see the point in mediumship phone readings.  I dont quite 'get' how they can work.

mac
VIP Member
VIP Member

Posts : 639
Location : lives in central England, UK
Likes received : 17
Job/hobbies : retired

Re: what's its value?

Post by mac on 22nd September 2017, 07:21

Misty wrote:
mac wrote:Phone consultations may be more practical elsewhere because they're easier to find than a face-to-face sitting but that's my guess and I have no data to prove it.

I dont see the point in mediumship phone readings.  I dont quite 'get' how they can work.
If it's all you can find you don't have many choices - effectively take it or leave it.  

A phone session works, of course, in a similar way to any other mediumship albeit perhaps not quite as fluently.  (I don't like the word 'reading' because it sounds too much like psychic reading) 

I don't know that, however, as I've not tried distant mediumship.  Whether the technique is better or worse than 'same location' mediumship will partly hinge upon the medium and the spirit contacts that result.  

My gut feeling is that I'd personally prefer 'same location' mediumship but if a remote practitioner were able to provide a level of evidence satisfactory for me I'd be happy.
avatar
Candlelight.kk
.
.

Posts : 2561
Location : London
Likes received : 56

Re: what's its value?

Post by Candlelight.kk on 22nd September 2017, 17:02

Misty wrote:
mac wrote:Phone consultations may be more practical elsewhere because they're easier to find than a face-to-face sitting but that's my guess and I have no data to prove it.

I dont see the point in mediumship phone readings.  I dont quite 'get' how they can work.

There are many different ways in which Spirit can get their message through to those of us still living.  

mac wrote:If it's all you can find you don't have many choices
And sometimes the choice may not necessarily even be yours - but ingeniously engineered by Spirit through whatever means are available.

One fine example involving the telephone springs to my mind, in connection with Spiritualist Medium, Albert Best.

Albert Best was a postman and a world famous Spiritualist Medium. He was also the uncle of footballer George Best.
Ann Kennedy was the wife of a Church of Scotland minister called the Rev. David Kennedy.

Ann Kennedy died while she was still in her forties.

Before Ann had died she had promised to try to find a way to contact her husband from beyond the grave.

Although it was against his religion, the Rev. David Kennedy contacted a Medium called Lexie Findletter. Lexie told David that Ann was trying to communicate with him.

A week later David was asleep at home. He was awoken by the sound of the phone ringing. He looked at the clock on the wall. He realised that he only had five minutes to prepare his sermon and find a clean collar. He lifted up the phone.

"Your wife Ann is with me," said a voice. "She tells me that your clean collars are in a bottom drawer of your wardrobe and the speech you prepared last year for this service is in the top drawer of your desk. Incidentally, my name is Albert Best."

David looked in the bottom drawer of the wardrobe and found the three clean collars.

Albert went on to say that Ann told him to tell David that he (David) needed to send to the laundry the 23 soiled collars which he had already accumulated in a special box where he kept his collars. When David counted the number of collars in his box, there were 23 in all.

More messages reached David in the days that followed. On one occasion Albert said that Ann had asked him to tell David to phone Ann's sister and ask about the ballet shoes. When David did so, Ann's sister was astounded that he knew about the private joke that had been a secret between Ann and her sister.





Sources:

Gordon Smith, The Unbelievable Truth (2005)

David Kennedy, A Venture in Immortality (Colin Smythe, 1973).

From pierrejoubert.blogspot
avatar
Candlelight.kk
.
.

Posts : 2561
Location : London
Likes received : 56

Re: what's its value?

Post by Candlelight.kk on 22nd September 2017, 17:15

mac wrote:My gut feeling is that I'd personally prefer 'same location' mediumship but if a remote practitioner were able to provide a level of evidence satisfactory for me I'd be happy.


You got in before me there, mac! This was my intended response - word-for-word!

mac
VIP Member
VIP Member

Posts : 639
Location : lives in central England, UK
Likes received : 17
Job/hobbies : retired

Re: what's its value?

Post by mac on 22nd September 2017, 20:03

Candlelight.kk wrote:
mac wrote:My gut feeling is that I'd personally prefer 'same location' mediumship but if a remote practitioner were able to provide a level of evidence satisfactory for me I'd be happy.


You got in before me there, mac!  This was my intended response - word-for-word!
Is that a situation of great-minds-think-alike or a fools-seldom-differ one!? 

lol very happy Mr. Green gigle

mac
VIP Member
VIP Member

Posts : 639
Location : lives in central England, UK
Likes received : 17
Job/hobbies : retired

Re: what's its value?

Post by mac on 22nd September 2017, 20:10

Candlelight.kk wrote:
Misty wrote:
mac wrote:Phone consultations may be more practical elsewhere because they're easier to find than a face-to-face sitting but that's my guess and I have no data to prove it.

I dont see the point in mediumship phone readings.  I dont quite 'get' how they can work.

There are many different ways in which Spirit can get their message through to those of us still living.  

mac wrote:If it's all you can find you don't have many choices
And sometimes the choice may not necessarily even be yours - but ingeniously engineered by Spirit through whatever means are available.

One fine example involving the telephone springs to my mind, in connection with Spiritualist Medium, Albert Best.

Albert Best was a postman and a world famous Spiritualist Medium. He was also the uncle of footballer George Best.
Ann Kennedy was the wife of a Church of Scotland minister called the Rev. David Kennedy.

Ann Kennedy died while she was still in her forties.

Before Ann had died she had promised to try to find a way to contact her husband from beyond the grave.

Although it was against his religion, the Rev. David Kennedy contacted a Medium called Lexie Findletter. Lexie told David that Ann was trying to communicate with him.

A week later David was asleep at home. He was awoken by the sound of the phone ringing. He looked at the clock on the wall. He realised that he only had five minutes to prepare his sermon and find a clean collar. He lifted up the phone.

"Your wife Ann is with me," said a voice. "She tells me that your clean collars are in a bottom drawer of your wardrobe and the speech you prepared last year for this service is in the top drawer of your desk. Incidentally, my name is Albert Best."

David looked in the bottom drawer of the wardrobe and found the three clean collars.

Albert went on to say that Ann told him to tell David that he (David) needed to send to the laundry the 23 soiled collars which he had already accumulated in a special box where he kept his collars. When David counted the number of collars in his box, there were 23 in all.

More messages reached David in the days that followed. On one occasion Albert said that Ann had asked him to tell David to phone Ann's sister and ask about the ballet shoes. When David did so, Ann's sister was astounded that he knew about the private joke that had been a secret between Ann and her sister.





Sources:

Gordon Smith, The Unbelievable Truth (2005)

David Kennedy, A Venture in Immortality (Colin Smythe, 1973).

From pierrejoubert.blogspot
damn me! 

I had no notion that Albert Best was Georgie Best's uncle!  George's life of football brilliance, but tragic life and death is one that's always caught my imagination. 

It always makes me wonder if all was planned that way for reason we can't see let alone understand....

    Current date/time is 20th July 2018, 17:47