Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of our existence: Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism ~ Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

4 posters

Who is.....?

mac
    mac

Who is.....? Empty Who is.....?

Post by mac Tue 30 May 2017 - 19:42

We're not a big community.  Now the new website is up-and-running it's left me wondering how many of us would call ourselves 'a Spiritualist'.  

I'll go first.  I AM a Spiritualist and have been for 33 years.  Anyone else?
    ariel
    ariel

Who is.....? Empty Re: Who is.....?

Post by ariel Tue 30 May 2017 - 20:30

I wouldn't call myself a Spiritualist, not in the way you are, Mac.  I am just interested in the subject of mediumship and life after death and paranormal stuff in general.  Never had any real experiences myself but I do enjoy hearing and reading about other people's experiences.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Tue 30 May 2017 - 20:37

ariel wrote:I wouldn't call myself a Spiritualist, not in the way you are, Mac.  I am just interested in the subject of mediumship and life after death and paranormal stuff in general.  Never had any real experiences myself but I do enjoy hearing and reading about other people's experiences.
    Not in the way I am?
    ariel
    ariel

Post by ariel Tue 30 May 2017 - 20:49

I think maybe it's a religion for you.  I don't have any religious leanings, just an interest.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Tue 30 May 2017 - 20:59

ariel wrote:I think maybe it's a religion for you.  I don't have any religious leanings, just an interest.
    Interesting how you see me.  Spiritualism's a registered religion but for me it's a philosophy, it's what influences how I am in a very ordinary life.

If religion involves churches then I don't qualify.  I go to church once a flood, maybe if there's someone I particularly want to see.  It's probably four years since I went to one last and probably even longer the time before that!  I don't know what the benchmark is for being 'religious' but in terms of conventionally religious again that ain't me.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Tue 30 May 2017 - 21:05

ariel wrote:I wouldn't call myself a Spiritualist, not in the way you are, Mac.  I am just interested in the subject of mediumship and life after death and paranormal stuff in general.  Never had any real experiences myself but I do enjoy hearing and reading about other people's experiences.

I'm interested in much the same although I did have some experiences many years ago that have greatly influenced how I've been ever since then.  It underpins how I observe many issues concerning survival and communication but it's not my only influence.  

Spiritualism was the beginning of who I now am but it doesn't determine every aspect of who/what I am.
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Fri 2 Jun 2017 - 23:49

mac wrote:We're not a big community.  Now the new website is up-and-running it's left me wondering how many of us would call ourselves 'a Spiritualist'.  

I can't really answer that question without first defining what exactly is a Spiritualist ...(?)

There are various descriptions and definitions; not all of them agreeing with each other.  What is your definition, mac?
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sat 3 Jun 2017 - 7:58

Candlelight.kk wrote:
    mac wrote:We're not a big community.  Now the new website is up-and-running it's left me wondering how many of us would call ourselves 'a Spiritualist'.  

I can't really answer that question without first defining what exactly is a Spiritualist ...(?)

There are various descriptions and definitions; not all of them agreeing with each other.  What is your definition, mac?
    I wouldn't want to define what a Spiritualist is.  

For me, though, I'm a Spiritualist because I susbcribe to Spiritualism's fundamental teaching that our spirits survive the death of our bodies and that some return to demonstrate their survival by communicating via mediumship. 

Purely personally there's no need to attend church or susbcribe to the so-called Seven Principles.
    Misty
    Misty

Post by Misty Sun 4 Jun 2017 - 11:57

Dont you have to have mediumship abilities to be classed as a Spiritualist?
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sun 4 Jun 2017 - 12:02

Misty wrote:Dont you have to have mediumship abilities to be classed as a Spiritualist?
    no - You don't have to have anything.

It's a choice as to whether you call yourself a Spiritualist - there's no formal classification that puts you into a class of 'Spiritualist'.
    Misty
    Misty

Post by Misty Sun 4 Jun 2017 - 15:51

In that case then you might call me a Spiritualist. 
    I identify with the philosophy of Spiritualism for the same reasons that you have given, mac, and that makes me an adherant of Spiritualism, and that I suppose then makes me a Spiritualist.  I believe that when the body dies the spirit still exists in another dimension and that the spirits of the dead are able to communicate with the spirits of the living with the help of a medium, that is the main purpose of Spiritualism.  Although to give it a name is not really all that important.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sun 4 Jun 2017 - 19:03

Misty wrote:In that case then you might call me a Spiritualist. 
    I identify with the philosophy of Spiritualism for the same reasons that you have given, mac, and that makes me an adherant of Spiritualism, and that I suppose then makes me a Spiritualist.  I believe that when the body dies the spirit still exists in another dimension and that the spirits of the dead are able to communicate with the spirits of the living with the help of a medium, that is the main purpose of Spiritualism.  Although to give it a name is not really all that important.
    I wouldn't call you a Spiritualist unless you were comfortable with being called that. 

Even if you're influenced by Modern Spiritualism's philosophy it's wholly your personal choice about using a personal name or label.

Only you decide how you see yourself or define who/what you are.   Smile

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024 - 10:43