Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of our existence: Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism ~ Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

5 posters

Hello everyone

Sparrow
    Sparrow

happy nes to site

Post by Sparrow Sun 3 Nov 2019 - 9:11

Hello, I am interested in how consciousness works. I have always followed my inner voice, sometimes it sounds risky but it is always right. Often it is so inconvenient so i know it is not egotistical wishing. I think on here I will be able to gain more knowledge.
    Perhaps to help others more. I am interested in how science is now tying in to what Mystics have said all along.
    mac
    mac

happy Re: Hello everyone

Post by mac Sun 3 Nov 2019 - 11:30

Sparrow wrote:Hello, I am interested in how consciousness works. I have always followed my inner voice, sometimes it sounds risky but it is always right. Often it is so inconvenient so i know it is not egotistical wishing. I think on here I will be able to gain more knowledge.
    Perhaps to help others more. I am interested in how science is now tying in to what Mystics have said all along.

I wish you the best of luck but science appears still some way from even accepting what we knowers understand. I frequently pose the question whether the sciences of this physical world apply to the etheric dimensions because if they don't then what can we hope to provide as the 'proof' of their existence?

Although it's all an interesting notion I get on with what I know about and leave the other stuff to those who like to ponder it. There was a time when I thought as you did so it's either maturity or plain old-age that could have changed my outlook!
    Sparrow
    Sparrow

happy Thank you

Post by Sparrow Sun 3 Nov 2019 - 13:29

I am pretty old on the outside! I speak about science in a general way not in a particular way. 
    I have read accounts of neuroscientists who have had to relearn what they were taught originally. 
    Many have had near death experiences. 
    I like the term Knowers, two in the family are good at maths I am not but I could produce a quick calculation that was near enough for the purpose. 
    I am finding things that Mystics have said are being proven true. There is a growing movement in individual faiths to accept the oneness of everything. 
    When I was very young my mother used to go for readings, i used to ask her why she did not know inside. I am my grandmothers grandchild! Thank you for replying so promptly.
    Misty
    Misty

Post by Misty Sun 3 Nov 2019 - 18:11

Hello and welcome Sparrow. very happy
    Its always nice to see a new 'face' and hear a new 'voice' when discussing the important questions we all have about life and death.
    I hope you enjoy it here.  Looking forward to hearing some more from you.
    Sparrow
    Sparrow

Post by Sparrow Sun 3 Nov 2019 - 18:19

Thank you
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sun 3 Nov 2019 - 20:20

Sparrow wrote:I am pretty old on the outside! I speak about science in a general way not in a particular way. 
    I have read accounts of neuroscientists who have had to relearn what they were taught originally. 
    I like the term Knowers, two in the family are good at maths I am not but I could produce a quick calculation that was near enough for the purpose. 
    I am finding things that Mystics have said are being proven true. There is a growing movement in individual faiths to accept the oneness of everything. 
    When I was very young my mother used to go for readings, i used to ask her why she did not know inside. I am my grandmothers grandchild! Thank you for replying so promptly.

It's good to learn you're a questioner, one of the ways to learn. Smile

I avoid saying 'proven' because that's a scientifc/mathematical term and as I mentioned earlier (I think) finding 'proof' of spiritual stuff may not be possible; evidence definitely but proof probably not.....

So-called near-death-experiences are a helpful indicator that there is more to life than just this physical dimension but it's only that and doesn't involve the experiences of actual, corporeal death.

I'm not particularly influenced by movements involving 'faiths' and the 'oneness of everything' is present-day jargon; neither mean much to me but I'm a dyed-in-the-wool individual anyway.
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Mon 4 Nov 2019 - 14:18

Sparrow wrote:Hello, I am interested in how consciousness works. I have always followed my inner voice, sometimes it sounds risky but it is always right. Often it is so inconvenient so i know it is not egotistical wishing. I think on here I will be able to gain more knowledge.

Hi Sparrow.  Welcome

Sparrow wrote:I speak about science in a general way not in a particular way.
    Science is not merely a subject; it is a process, an ever-changing process, a process for investigation and 'conclusion'.   Conclusions are limited, and are themselves forever changing, as investigations widen and deepen to include 'experience'.  Experience requires and facilitates further questioning and investigation of the 'known and accepted' conclusions.

Sparrow wrote:When I was very young my mother used to go for readings, i used to ask her why she did not know inside. I am my grandmothers grandchild!
    I like that - and can personally identify, to an extent, with what you are saying there. Smile
    Sparrow
    Sparrow

Post by Sparrow Mon 4 Nov 2019 - 16:02

I feel so often that these things are so inherent but that for many they are stifled when young. The circumstances of my wartime childhood made me more independently minded. I learned to listen inwardly. I like Richard Bach quotation that says in every problem there is a gift, but we have to look for it. I have that to be true. I used to have a question and the right book or person would come along.
    Then I would think of an idea and confirmation would come. A sense of support.
    Sometimes just a knowing, following the nudges that proved to be right. Now as a Carer many physical things are confined yet the spirit soars.
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Thu 7 Nov 2019 - 13:40

Sparrow wrote:I feel so often that these things are so inherent but that for many they are stifled when young.
    and for some they are reawakened following some kind of crisis/trauma/near-death-experience/loss etc...

The circumstances of my wartime childhood made me more independently minded. I learned to listen inwardly. I like Richard Bach quotation that says in every problem there is a gift, but we have to look for it. I have that to be true.
    Even though you may look for it, it will come to you only when the time is right - for you.  
    There may be further obstacles to work through first before the reason becomes clear.

I used to have a question and the right book or person would come along.
    Then I would think of an idea and confirmation would come. A sense of support.
    "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear." Cool I know that to be so.

Sometimes just a knowing, following the nudges that proved to be right. Now as a Carer many physical things are confined yet the spirit soars.
    Could that have something to do with perhaps now having more time on hand to focus on living "in the now"?
    Sparrow
    Sparrow

Post by Sparrow Fri 8 Nov 2019 - 3:25

Yes, there is some truth in being so focused on the single aim, living in the moment is the only way. 

While my husband slept I did watch the Edgar Cayce talk. I found it fascinating, i did have three books from many years ago. I found his health advice amazing. I was studying homeopathy then. 
    The books eventually became brittle with age. They were paperbacks. 
    I appreciate you posting the link on here.
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Fri 8 Nov 2019 - 12:12

Sparrow,

I am not quite sure what you meant by saying you were "studying homeopathy"(?)

Based on a series of ideas developed in the 1790s by a German doctor called Samuel Hahnemann, a central principle of homeopathic "treatment" is that "like cures like" – that a substance that causes certain symptoms can also help to remove those symptoms. It is based around a process of dilution and shaking, called succussion.  Practitioners believe that the more a substance is diluted in this way, the greater its power to treat symptoms.
    Many homeopathic remedies consist of substances that have been diluted many times in water until there is none or almost none of the original substance left.

2010 House of Commons Science and Technology Committee report on homeopathy said that homeopathic remedies perform no better than placebos, and rather expensive ones at that! 
    Of course the "placebo effect" can and does work wonders in many kinds of conventional treatments - as it is the mind that centrally controls the physical body, the feeling of pain and our mental wellbeing, and indeed a number of the conventional medications administered by GPs and hospitals to dull/anesthetize a feeling of physical pain are substances which send a message to the brain that you do not feel pain, or you do not feel sick. That part of the physical brain is simply 'closed off' for a time.  Perhaps beneficial for using as an anesthetizer when undergoing surgery etc, but these things serve only to cover up any pain or condition on a temporary basis, and furthermore, may even cause a problem elsewhere which was not there in the first place; what is really needed is to work directly on the actual source of the problem, whether that be physical or mental.
    evergreen
    evergreen

Post by evergreen Sat 9 Nov 2019 - 16:30

It's all in the name.

The problem is that people these days often confuse basic holistic healing with homeopathic treatments, and homeopathy tends to get lumped under the New Age umbrella.  Edgar Cayce advocated the holistic form of healing, natural therapies, diet and balance all being important factors for a healthy body and mind.  Imbalances in the physical body can lead to dis-ease.  A person's thoughts and general state of mind can have a detrimental effect on their physical well being too, causing very real physical ailments  to occur, i.e. psychosomatic --eg stress can cause chest pains where no physical disease can be found.  A placebo prescribed on that occasion can work if the person believes they are given something to makes those chest pains go away. The belief is the factor. The mind stress that was the cause of the physical chest pains is now eased, so the pains are now eased because the person believed in the efficacy of the treatment.  So in a way that could be termed as a homeopathic healing, where like cures like.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sat 9 Nov 2019 - 20:39

I doubt homeopaths lump their services in with holistics...... Even I understand the difference between the two!

Holistic interventions probably do stand a chance of improving well-being even if they don't provide healing - however that is defined.

Homeopathy, however, remains an intervention still very much unproven by blind testing. It's not my field of interest so I could well be wrong but the impression this layman gets is that homeopathy takes some believing and our regular medical people aren't persuaded that it's efficacious. Not that that's any recommendation as they probably don't recognise survival or spirit healing either! Wink

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024 - 7:20