Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of our existence: Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism ~ Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

5 posters

Hello everybody

Brian
    Brian

Hello everybody Empty Hello everybody

Post by Brian Fri 25 May 2018 - 19:55

Just thought I'd say hello.  Maybe you will get to know me better as time goes on but I don't know how much I will post here.  I will say I am a non-fundamentalist and somewhat unorthodox christian with an interest in things beyond the norm.  It was somebody from Psiencequest who encouraged me to join.  Nice to meet you all.
    mac
    mac

Hello everybody Empty Re: Hello everybody

Post by mac Fri 25 May 2018 - 20:43

Brian wrote:Just thought I'd say hello.  Maybe you will get to know me better as time goes on but I don't know how much I will post here.  I will say I am a non-fundamentalist and somewhat unorthodox christian with an interest in things beyond the norm.  It was somebody from Psiencequest who encouraged me to join.  Nice to meet you all.
    Hi, Brian - I've seen you there on Psiquest.
    Brian
    Brian

Post by Brian Fri 25 May 2018 - 21:12

mac wrote:
    Brian wrote:Just thought I'd say hello.  Maybe you will get to know me better as time goes on but I don't know how much I will post here.  I will say I am a non-fundamentalist and somewhat unorthodox christian with an interest in things beyond the norm.  It was somebody from Psiencequest who encouraged me to join.  Nice to meet you all.
    Hi mac.  I'm sure I've seen you too. 
    EDIT:  I think I'm thinking of somewhere else actually.  Have you ever been on Skeptiko?
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Fri 25 May 2018 - 21:19

Well, that's weird.  confused   I could have sworn I already posted a welcome reply here - it seems to have disappeared into the aether!  Spooooooky!!

Oh well, I'll just say again --

Hello Brian.  Nice to meet you.  Welcome 

You say you have "an interest in things beyond the norm".  What exactly is "the norm" though?
    I'm guessing if that question were asked of 20 people, there would be 20 different answers.

Welcome aboard.
    Brian
    Brian

Post by Brian Fri 25 May 2018 - 21:42

Candlelight.kk wrote:Well, that's weird.  confused   I could have sworn I already posted a welcome reply here - it seems to have disappeared into the aether!  Spooooooky!!

Oh well, I'll just say again --

Hello Brian.  Nice to meet you.  Welcome 

You say you have "an interest in things beyond the norm".  What exactly is "the norm" though?
    I'm guessing if that question were asked of 20 people, there would be 20 different answers.

Welcome aboard.
    Thank you.  That's a difficult question to answer.  It's a vague term when you think about it but I mean that which is common, perhaps mundane.  I don't know but I don't travel in circles in which I can discuss many of the things I am interested in so what is normal in my life could be very different to what is normal in yours.  Nice to meet you Candlelight.kk
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Fri 25 May 2018 - 22:37

Brian wrote:
    mac wrote:
    EDIT:  I think I'm thinking of somewhere else actually.  Have you ever been on Skeptiko?
    No I've never been a member on Skeptico.
    Brian
    Brian

Post by Brian Fri 25 May 2018 - 23:22

mac wrote:
    Brian wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Sorry.  I think it's a false memory.  I could have sworn I saw a mac on a similar type of forum but those are the only two I have been a member of.
    Misty
    Misty

Post by Misty Sat 26 May 2018 - 11:14

Welcome Brian.  flower
    Brian
    Brian

Post by Brian Sat 26 May 2018 - 11:42

Misty wrote:Welcome Brian.  flower
    Thank you Misty Smile .
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sat 26 May 2018 - 11:43

Brian wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Brian wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Sorry.  I think it's a false memory.  I could have sworn I saw a mac on a similar type of forum but those are the only two I have been a member of.
    There's a member on Skeptico who has 'mac' as part of their username - maybe that's what you're remembering?  I'm just plain, vanilla  'mac' on a number of websites although I've been impersonated on others by a certain ne'er do well.....
    Brian
    Brian

Post by Brian Sat 26 May 2018 - 11:51

mac wrote:
    Brian wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Brian wrote:
    mac wrote:
    There's a member on Skeptico who has 'mac' as part of their username - maybe that's what you're remembering?  I'm just plain, vanilla  'mac' on a number of websites although I've been impersonated on others by a certain ne'er do well.....
    That certain ne'er do well might be who I am thinking of.  If I am right then he is somebody who has recently been banned from Psiencequest although his name wasn't mac there.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sat 26 May 2018 - 11:55

Brian wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Brian wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Brian wrote:
    mac wrote:
    That certain ne'er do well might be who I am thinking of.  If I am right then he is somebody who has recently been banned from Psiencequest although his name wasn't mac there.
    The ne'er do well I'm thinking of - operating under various aliases - has also been banned from a number of other websites!  Wink
    Brian
    Brian

Post by Brian Sat 26 May 2018 - 11:59

mac wrote:
    Brian wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Brian wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Brian wrote:
    mac wrote:
    The ne'er do well I'm thinking of - operating under various aliases - has also been banned from a number of other websites!  Wink
    Sounds like him Rolling Eyes
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sat 26 May 2018 - 12:15

Brian wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Brian wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Brian wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Brian wrote:
    mac wrote:

Oh I knew for certain that it was....  The m.o. becomes familiar over time.  He can change his website 'appearance' but not his writing style and/or his interests.
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Sat 26 May 2018 - 14:42

mac wrote:
    Brian wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Brian wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Brian wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Brian wrote:
    mac wrote:

Oh I knew for certain that it was....  The m.o. becomes familiar over time.  He can change his website 'appearance' but not his writing style and/or his interests.

lol - This quoted post is beginning to look like one of those mind illusion patterns - quite a pretty design actually.
    As for that 'certain ne'er-do-well' ... he's really not as clever as he might think he is - I've got the measure of him cyclops , and have done for a long time, and he knows it too. pirat
    Brian
    Brian

Post by Brian Sat 26 May 2018 - 14:48

I think were running out of room so I didn't quote you Candlelight.  I'm glad you're ahead of him.  I had a bad time with him but it was perhaps my fault for engaging with him in debates.  Still, I think it was partly because of one of my posts that he got banned from Psiencequest.
    Brian
    Brian

Post by Brian Sat 26 May 2018 - 16:14

mac wrote:
    Brian wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Brian wrote:
    mac wrote:
    It was on SpiritualismLink on the subject of said ne'er do well.  I'm not a member there but I started looking for clues in the hope that I could recognize him in future and I saw your post.
    ariel
    ariel

Post by ariel Sat 26 May 2018 - 18:44

Hi Brian. Good to see a new face here (so to speak). 

Already you have probably posted more here than some who've been around for years!  Well done mate!  I hope you'll stick around.

I confess I don't post much myself but I do pop in regularly and read a lot. Still haven't caught up with all there is to read about here.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sat 26 May 2018 - 19:13

Part of our mutual friend's m.o. is that he INTENDS that he'll be recognised - perhaps in his eyes, acknowledged - for what he is and what he does.  Otherwise it could be any other ne'er do well! very happy

I've seen him around for long enough now to have some idea how he'll behave and how he'll engineer his eventual end.  Then he's free to start the process afresh.  Not much of an existence in my view but it seems to suit his needs.
    Brian
    Brian

Post by Brian Sat 26 May 2018 - 20:45

ariel wrote:Hi Brian. Good to see a new face here (so to speak). 

Already you have probably posted more here than some who've been around for years!  Well done mate!  I hope you'll stick around.

I confess I don't post much myself but I do pop in regularly and read a lot. Still haven't caught up with all there is to read about here.
    Nice to meet you ariel.  Wasn't expecting to have a good conversation with mac about a mutual friend when I joined lol
    Brian
    Brian

Post by Brian Sat 26 May 2018 - 20:47

mac wrote:Part of our mutual friend's m.o. is that he INTENDS that he'll be recognised - perhaps in his eyes, acknowledged - for what he is and what he does.  Otherwise it could be any other ne'er do well! very happy

I've seen him around for long enough now to have some idea how he'll behave and how he'll engineer his eventual end.  Then he's free to start the process afresh.  Not much of an existence in my view but it seems to suit his needs.
    I guess you know him well enough.  I allowed myself to get sucked in as always! Rolling Eyes  Oh well, I'll recognize him in future.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sat 26 May 2018 - 21:08

Brian wrote:
    mac wrote:Part of our mutual friend's m.o. is that he INTENDS that he'll be recognised - perhaps in his eyes, acknowledged - for what he is and what he does.  Otherwise it could be any other ne'er do well! very happy

I guess you know him well enough.  I allowed myself to get sucked in as always! Rolling Eyes  Oh well, I'll recognize him in future.
    Been there, done that...... Shocked
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Mon 25 Jun 2018 - 13:00

lol - This quoted post is beginning to look like one of those mind illusion patterns - quite a pretty design actually.

Brian wrote:I think were running out of room so I didn't quote you Candlelight.
    thumb

It was becoming a bit crazy there. gigle I think if it had gone any further we might just have taken off !!!
    The default for the board was originally set at 'unlimited' quotes for each post.
    I have now limited it to 6.
    I guess people can just manually quote after that if they need to - or simply use the Multi-quote option.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Mon 25 Jun 2018 - 16:32

Candlelight.kk wrote:

Brian wrote:I think were running out of room so I didn't quote you Candlelight.  
    thumb

It was becoming a bit crazy there.  gigle  I think if it had gone any further we might just have taken off !!!
    The default for the board was originally set at 'unlimited' quotes for each post.
    I have now limited it to 6.  
    I guess people can just manually quote after that if they need to - or simply use the Multi-quote option.
    Does 'Multi-Quote' avoid the forum quote limit?
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Mon 25 Jun 2018 - 16:41

mac wrote:Does 'Multi-Quote' avoid the forum quote limit?

Not necessarily, mac - it just works in a different way.
    I will try to demonstrate an example (following this post) - using the migraine-inducing much-quoted post above. geek
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Mon 25 Jun 2018 - 17:01

A demonstration of how different a quoted post can look, using the 'Multi-quote' feature:
    (Same content - but far easier to decipher!) :

(One of the previous posts in this thread):
    mac wrote:Hi, Brian - I've seen you there on Psiquest.
    Brian wrote:Hi mac.  I'm sure I've seen you too. 
    mac wrote:No I've never been a member on Skeptico.
    Brian wrote:Sorry.  I think it's a false memory.  I could have sworn I saw a mac on a similar type of forum but those are the only two I have been a member of.
    mac wrote:There's a member on Skeptico who has 'mac' as part of their username - maybe that's what you're remembering?  I'm just plain, vanilla  'mac' on a number of websites although I've been impersonated on others by a certain ne'er do well.....
    Brian wrote:That certain ne'er do well might be who I am thinking of.  If I am right then he is somebody who has recently been banned from Psiencequest although his name wasn't mac there.
    mac wrote:The ne'er do well I'm thinking of - operating under various aliases - has also been banned from a number of other websites!  Wink
    Brian wrote:Sounds like him Rolling Eyes
    mac wrote:Oh I knew for certain that it was....  The m.o. becomes familiar over time.  He can change his website 'appearance' but not his writing style and/or his interests.

As for that 'certain ne'er-do-well' ... he's really not as clever as he might think he is - I've got the measure of him cyclops , and have done for a long time, and he knows it too. pirat
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Mon 25 Jun 2018 - 17:03

Candlelight.kk wrote:
    mac wrote:Does 'Multi-Quote' avoid the forum quote limit?

Not necessarily, mac - it just works in a different way.  
    will try to demonstrate an example (following this post) - using the migraine-inducing much-quoted post above. geek
    Oh it's OK, kk, I was just curious how it worked as we don't have such utilities over on ALF.  It's good to restrict the quote numbers because a long thread can look quite bizarre when there are numerous quotes.  lol
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Mon 25 Jun 2018 - 17:04

Candlelight.kk wrote:A demonstration of how different a quoted post can look, using the 'Multi-quote' feature:

Brian wrote:Sorry.  I think it's a false memory.  I could have sworn I saw a mac on a similar type of forum but those are the only two I have been a member of.
    mac wrote:There's a member on Skeptico who has 'mac' as part of their username - maybe that's what you're remembering?  I'm just plain, vanilla  'mac' on a number of websites although I've been impersonated on others by a certain ne'er do well.....
    Brian wrote:That certain ne'er do well might be who I am thinking of.  If I am right then he is somebody who has recently been banned from Psiencequest although his name wasn't mac there.
    mac wrote:The ne'er do well I'm thinking of - operating under various aliases - has also been banned from a number of other websites!  Wink
    mac wrote:Oh I knew for certain that it was....  The m.o. becomes familiar over time.  He can change his website 'appearance' but not his writing style and/or his interests.

Ah I see - that's something that admin can do but not - I think - regular members on ALF.  It's something I haven't found useful in either role there.
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Mon 25 Jun 2018 - 17:17

I've also now toned down the quote background colouring a tad, making it a bit easier on the eye.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Mon 25 Jun 2018 - 17:20

Candlelight.kk wrote:I've also now toned down the quote background colouring a tad, making it a bit easier on the eye.
    That helps old farts like me - could you make the text darker, too, to improve contrast?
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Mon 25 Jun 2018 - 17:26

mac wrote:
    Candlelight.kk wrote:I've also now toned down the quote background colouring a tad, making it a bit easier on the eye.
    That helps old farts like me - could you make the text darker, too, to improve contrast?

The text is actually the darkest there is; black as black can be - it simply cannot go any further into The Dark Side. What a Face

ETA: The quote background could be toned down even further, thus improving contrast - if you think that might help?
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Mon 25 Jun 2018 - 18:14

Candlelight.kk wrote:
    mac wrote:

The text is actually the darkest there is; black as black can be - it simply cannot go any further into The Dark Side.  What a Face

ETA:  The quote background could be toned down even further, thus improving contrast - if you think that might help?
    Thanks for that offer but it's maybe my computer set-up that needs tinkering with.  I'll take a look later.   Smile
    Misty
    Misty

Post by Misty Tue 26 Jun 2018 - 12:18

Candlelight.kk wrote:A demonstration of how different a quoted post can look, using the 'Multi-quote' feature:

Much better!  sunny
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Tue 26 Jun 2018 - 14:24

Misty wrote:Much better!  sunny

Yes, it is.

door Sorry, Brian, to have hijacked your welcome thread here with all of this - but it's the only place where this situation has occured, and in a roundabout way it's all thanks to YOU that we've now managed to sort out what was a rather frustrating situation! pirat
    Brian
    Brian

Post by Brian Mon 2 Jul 2018 - 10:57

Candlelight.kk wrote:
    Misty wrote:Much better!  sunny

Yes, it is.

door   Sorry, Brian, to have hijacked your welcome thread here with all of this - but it's the only place where this situation has occured, and in a roundabout way it's all thanks to YOU that we've now managed to sort out what was a rather frustrating situation!   pirat
    You're welcome kk.  Glad I was of some use. thumb

Current date/time is Thu 2 May 2024 - 8:28