Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism: Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

[solved] Email notifications about new posts made on the forum

Candlelight.kk

Female

Solved [solved] Email notifications about new posts made on the forum

Post by Candlelight.kk on Wed 19 Apr 2017, 16:15

(originally posted on 11 May 2016 01:26 pm)

I don't know if it's the same for everyone here(?), but I have recently not been getting any email notifications when a new post has been made. I do have my Preferences set to receive notifications and up until recently have always done so. On checking with the Support Forum, I see that this has been an issue with a few others for some time now and it does appear that they are aware of the problem and looking into it, though there hasn't been any movement on that since 25th April. From what I can see, it depends on the email provider that you use - i.e. Hotmail, Yahoo, GMail etc etc ........... Seems to be why some people have not been affected by this at all, but others have.

Before I put in a request with the Support Team to check out my own situation, I just wondered if anyone else here is experiencing the same problem (assuming of course that they have set their preference to receive these notifications). This is the first question that they will ask and, if there are others experiencing the same, whether they are using the same email provider, it seems will make it easier for them to investigate and sort out where the problem lies.
Light After Life's default email is a Yahoo provider. All the email providers make various updates from time to time and it's possible that these changes might affect how various things interact with different site set-ups. If no-one is getting their requested notifications (where they used to before), then it could be the case that some recent changes in the Yahoo provider is causing this ........

If anyone here is experiencing the same problem, please let me know in a PM. Thank you.
Misty
Happy poster
Happy poster

Female

Solved Re: [solved] Email notifications about new posts made on the forum

Post by Misty on Wed 19 Apr 2017, 16:16

I have sent you a pm KK. Dont know if you got it? I have no problem with krazykats notifications, just here.

I have also asked if there is any way I can change my username on here. I would like if possible to change it to Whiskers, the name that I have on krazykats. I have tried in my user control panel but cant see where I can do it. If not then no worries.

Also when I log in here the time is showing different. I have it fixed in my preferences for GMT so dont know why it changes when I log in.
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Wed 19 Apr 2017, 16:18

Misty wrote:I have sent you a pm KK.  Dont know if you got it?   I have no problem with krazykats notifications, just here.

I have also asked if there is any way I can change my username on here.  I would like if possible to change it to Whiskers, the name that I have on krazykats.  I have tried in my user control panel but cant see where I can do it.  If not then no worries.  :smile:

Also when I log in here the time is showing different.   I have it fixed in my preferences for GMT so dont know why it changes when I log in.  :?

Well, how strange is that!  I actually got email notification about THIS post - but not about any of the other recent ones in other parts of the Forum!   Of course I will have to wait till someone else makes a post in another part of the Forum to see whether everything is now OK.
Do let me know, Misty, if you get notified of this reply. 

As for your request to change your Username - this is not an option open to members themselves, but it can be done with Admin's approval - so long as the other members are notified -(otherwise it would be very confusing all round, as you can imagine).

So, let's take this post as confirmation and notification to all our members - that our member Misty will from here on in be known as Whiskers - and that she is one and the same (and always has been) as the member Whiskers that posts on the Krazy Kats forum.  (All assuming I manage to do it properly! )

PS:  You are online now as Misty.  I will have to wait till you log out before I make the change.
Misty
Happy poster
Happy poster

Female

Post by Misty on Wed 19 Apr 2017, 16:20

Thanks KK. It worked! And I ticked the DST box like you suggested and my time is showing correct now too.

I am still not receiving email notifications. Didnt get anything telling me about your reply here, but I do look in every day and check the view active topics link and that tells me whats new since I last looked in.
Stardust
VIP member
VIP member

Female

Post by Stardust on Wed 19 Apr 2017, 16:22

I've at times had the opposite problem where I received notifications about responses to a post (which I shouldn't get since I requested not to). I changed back the preferences when this happened and up to now that's always solved the problem.

A gentle whisper like the breeze sighing, so easy to miss, listen carefully...
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Wed 19 Apr 2017, 16:23

It seems the problem with notifications - where some are getting them, others not - might lie with Yahoo. The Support Forum have been advising people to try temporarily changing their email to a Gmail one to see if they get notifications then as they should. Apparently with some providers Yahoo is regarded as a bit "iffy" and sometimes Yahoo emails might be automatically directed to junk by some providers and so they get missed altogether, unless individuals check their junk and confirm that they know that an email from a particular site is not junk.
Light After Life's default email is Yahoo, so depending on what your email provider is, that might be what's happening with the notifications coming from LAL. Gmail (or Googlemail) is apparently quite happy with Yahoo and that's why people are being asked to test in that way.

I really don't fancy messing about with this experiment because I'm afraid of mucking things up altogether - so I will just watch and see what happens with the others who are experiencing this problem. As there's quite a few people having the same thing with a number of forums being affected in the same way, our hosts must surely have to look further into this and find some way of rectifying it for all of us.
Apparenty Yahoo recently had some kind of major update and it's only since that that the problem arose. All of them are confirming that they always used to receive notifications until recently and it's not due to any changes that they themselves have made.

I suppose it's not the end of the world ... and hopefully will get sorted soon.

mac
Happy poster
Happy poster

Male
Job/hobbies : retired

Post by mac on Wed 19 Apr 2017, 16:25

Over the several years I've been online writing on website forums I've used email notification routinely to keep me in contact with what's happening.

When I've been very active on a number of topics and threads it's provided a convenient way to navigate directly to the latest postings. But unless I've been in real-time discussion/debate in several threads I've come to realise that email notifications really aren't all that important. As I visit websites routinely looking for new topic discussions I get to see new postings in subscribed threads anyway.

And with forum activity at an all-time low right now on most of my regular websites it takes only moments to visit each one as often as I wish.
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Wed 19 Apr 2017, 16:27

Well, I'm glad that you still visit here, mac. and hope you will continue to do so, regardless of notifications!
Of course there's always the option to 'View active topics' or 'view new posts' (the instant links which can be found towards the top of the forum) but I suppose for some people - if they don't get the reminder notification every now and then, they just forget about the place altogether.

mac
Happy poster
Happy poster

Male
Job/hobbies : retired

Post by mac on Wed 19 Apr 2017, 16:29

Candlelight.kk wrote:Well, I'm glad that you still visit here, mac.   :grin:  and hope you will continue to do so, regardless of notifications!
Of course there's always the option to 'View active topics' or 'view new posts' (the instant links which can be found towards the top of the forum) but I suppose for some people - if they don't get the reminder notification every now and then, they just forget about the place altogether.

I'm always around, kk, even though I don't have a lot to say nowadays.

I call in several times each day as I do on my other regular websites....  My first port of call is always, as you've suggested, the 'view new posts' tab which takes me only a few moments.  You're probably right that some individuals forget about the website unless they're prompted via email but that only happens if there's a response and if there's not I guess they may not think about calling in just to see what else might have been posted.

I've been around online so long now that it's ingrained in me to routinely check forums but I'm also lucky to have the time to do it.  If I had to work for a living things would likely be very different.

ps Just for information,  I hadn't received an email notification through Yahoo mail that you'd replied to my earlier message.  This visit was just routine.

Current date/time is Fri 18 Aug 2017, 06:08