Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism: Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

A..

Candlelight.kk

Female

A..

Post by Candlelight.kk on Wed 17 May 2017, 8:58 pm

02 Feb 2008, 22:57

ACORN

To carry an acorn on your person prevents you growing old, says an ancient British superstition. The origin of this belief probably arises from the fact that the acorn comes from the oak tree which was considered by the ancient Druids to be a sacred tree with special powers. The charm is said to work best for women, especially if they carry the acorn in their pockets or handbag.
Stardust
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Re: A..

Post by Stardust on Wed 17 May 2017, 9:00 pm

12 Feb 2008, 13:49

Candlelight, I did this once with some small conkers I'd picked up - only to find maggots in my pocket later ! Urgh !  lol lol
But perhaps you don't get them in acorns.  lol lol

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Wed 17 May 2017, 9:02 pm

12 Feb 2008, 15:05

Yuk! Maggots!  Shocked

I didn't even know my above post had come out ... wasn't finished. Working from my Book of Omens & Superstitions I'd been trying to list 3 things alphabetically in each - 3 A's and so on, but gave up when I kept getting thrown out of computer. Will have to start again. Smile   Another 2 A's and 3 C's to follow shortly!

Not in the book, but there's a certain type of Bean (forget what particular type) that's supposed to be lucky if you keep it in your purse, supposed to ensure that your purse is never empty! Well I suppose it wouldn't be if there's a bean in it ...
Stardust
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Wed 17 May 2017, 9:04 pm

12 Feb 2008, 15:12

Candlelight, you HAVE put 3 As and 3Bs in the "Omens, Superstitions & Old Wives Tales" thread.  lol

Don't like to say this, but you can get tiny worms in beans too.  very happy

Cheeses and their various crawling microscopic bacteria can be quite interesting and delightful too !

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Wed 17 May 2017, 9:06 pm

12 Feb 2008, 19:35

Doh! must've been the C's then ...  confused

... I would imagine if it's a tendency of yours to carry a lump of cheese around in your pocket you'd no doubt become quite familiar with some "interesting" creepy crawlies - I suppose the other pocket holds the magnifying glass.. Oh well ... chacun a son gout!
Stardust
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Wed 17 May 2017, 9:09 pm

13 Feb 2008, 09:57

Yuk, what a thought, Candlelight. Silly !  lol I rarely eat cheese (no fridge).  lol When I saw a programme about all the marvellous bacteria living on cheeses I didn't touch any again for months and months ! But apparently it's the bacteria which give them their typical and individual tastes and ... we have some of the same on our feet, hence the similar smell when our feet get hot.
(What a nice subject to start the day ...).  lol
I think we should change this thread from "A" to "B" (for bacteria), since it seems to be taking over.  lol

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Female

Post by elly on Wed 17 May 2017, 9:12 pm

13 Feb 2008, 14:20

was just going to have a cheese salad sandwhich for dinner shall have some soup now i think  lol lol

xodus
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Female

Post by xodus on Wed 17 May 2017, 9:16 pm

03 Feb 2010, 00:53

I heard porridge can contain creepy crawlies  eek
Stardust
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Wed 17 May 2017, 9:19 pm

04 Feb 2010, 11:23

I wish you hadn't mentioned that, xodus, I like a bowl of porridge when I can spare the time to prepare it in the mornings.
You can get larvae in pasta too, there's a species of moth that loves to get in the packet and lay eggs. Then when they hatch - well, I'll let you imagine...
YUK!!!
I don't think I'll eat ever again!
Shocked

Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Wed 17 May 2017, 9:21 pm

12 Sep 2011, 12:25

I'm not overfond of caterpillars either, at least not close up, and especially not when I'm preparing eg cabbage and one comes crawling out (shivers!).
I think it's the funny way they move.
But if we didn't have them we wouldn't have butterflies, which are so very pretty.

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Wed 17 May 2017, 9:33 pm

17 May, 2017

I just happened across this old thread today and read it from the beginning. lol - it's had me in stitches here.  gigle   lol  rofl

One can't help but wonder how the conversation would meander with a thread called 'F' .... or T .. or Z ..... or M or .......................................  nuts rofl rofl

Current date/time is Tue 19 Sep 2017, 11:40 pm