Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism: Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

[solved] FFS

Candlelight.kk

Female

Solved [solved] FFS

Post by Candlelight.kk on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 21:34

Okay, under the circumstances you can be forgiven for thinking that (re the title of this thread) .... but no, FFS actually stands for FreeForums.

FFS - (ALL OF THEM) were down for about 4 hours today. The problem has only just been sorted now (DDOS) and looks as though everything has now resumed to 'normal'.

Apologies to anyone who was inconvenienced by this during the time that the forums were down. I'm sure there were hundreds, no .... thousands of ye wondering why you couldn't access the forum ... or ... maybe there was just two?
Either way, sorry you had to go through all this yet again.

The problem has been resolved now, so ..... don't all rush in at once.

It was exactly the same problem for ALL the FreeForums all round the world and, much as we might have had a bit of a moan and groan, we would probably all do well to remember that for some people this situation could really have meant a matter of life and death.

This message was posted on the Suppport Forum by an admin of a FreeForums hosted forum during the time that all FFS forums were inaccessible .....

Hello,

The message boards Kramatorsk info. freeforums. org is experiencing a DDOS attack currently. This forum is covering the events happening in Eastern Ukraine where Ukrainian government forces are conducting the anti-terrorist operation, members of these message boards are the local people from the intense combat zone who are helping each other to stay safe and survive in these conditions.

Please check your servers and help us maintain these boards for communication, this can save lives a lot of civilian people currently living in combat area. Thanks.

and soon after ...

Hello,

The Kramatorsk Info community would be very grateful if you can take appropriate measures for backing up all the forums information or setting up a mirror alternate message boards that would be protected against possible DDOS attacks. These boards are very important to all the people living in the combat zone in Eastern Ukraine, as important safety information (about shelters from air strikes and artillery barrage, possibly dangerous places) is posted there. Thanks.

We should not moan ... really.

Please spare a thought for all those people whose lives are being turned upside down, people in danger of losing, or who have already lost, their homes and belongings, their freedom, civil rights, dignity ... or worse still .... family, friends, limbs ......

As we can see from the above messages, these forums can truly serve as a life-saver for people in all walks of life and in all sorts of situations.
It really does put a whole lot of things into a different perspective ............

mac
Happy poster
Happy poster

Male
Job/hobbies : retired

Solved Re: [solved] FFS

Post by mac on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 21:36

I didn't notice the down time here but, then, I was on other boards at the time...
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 21:37

mac wrote:I didn't notice the down time here but, then, I was on other boards at the time...

There's usually a bit of a warning for a period just before these major downtimes happen with the FreeForums-hosted sites (of which this is one) - where there may be a small time on-off period where the boards are going slow, or you might have to try more than once before getting logged in - or smiley images might not be working for a time....
Historically, these are the sort of minor hiccups which usually occur just before a major across-the-board downtime happens [with only FreeForums-hosted forums], like the one for a good part of the day yesterday.

This forum is not so widely used as, say, Spiritlove or Skeps, so those little warnings would not be so conspicuous here, but if you remember, mac, just before all this happened, you had made a post in another section here which had resulted in a double post? You edited the second post with an explanation something along the lines that "an access to the forum blip resulted in a double posting here". I then deleted that extra post, having first read your edited explanation. I did wonder at the time if this was perhaps a fore-warning of something being not quite right with FreeForums - and sure enough, not long after that - ALL the FreeForums went down, right across the boards, Spiritlove and Skeps included.

When these all-too-frequent situations occur and the forums are completely inaccessible, people can keep up to date with progress and simply just keep in touch through the Shoutbox (which is actually separate from the forums and not affected). It's a good idea to save the direct link to the Shoutbox in your Favourites or Bookmarks, for when these occasions arise.

Here is the direct link to the Shoutbox: http://lightafterlife.shoutmix.net/

mac
Happy poster
Happy poster

Male

Post by mac on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 21:38

Candlelight.kk wrote:
mac wrote:I didn't notice the down time here but, then, I was on other boards at the time...

There's usually a bit of a warning for a period just before these major downtimes happen with the FreeForums-hosted sites (of which this is one) - where there may be a small time on-off period where the boards are going slow, or you might have to try more than once before getting logged in - or smiley images might not be working for a time....
Historically, these are the sort of minor hiccups which usually occur just before a major across-the-board downtime happens [with only FreeForums-hosted forums], like the one for a good part of the day yesterday.

This forum is not so widely used as, say, Spiritlove or Skeps, so those little warnings would not be so conspicuous here, but if you remember, mac, just before all this happened, you had made a post in another section here which had resulted in a double post? You edited the second post with an explanation something along the lines that "an access to the forum blip resulted in a double posting here". I then deleted that extra post, having first read your edited explanation. I did wonder at the time if this was perhaps a fore-warning of something being not quite right with FreeForums - and sure enough, not long after that - ALL the FreeForums went down, right across the boards, Spiritlove and Skeps included.

When these all-too-frequent situations occur and the forums are completely inaccessible, people can keep up to date with progress and simply just keep in touch through the Shoutbox (which is actually separate from the forums and not affected). It's a good idea to save the direct link to the Shoutbox in your Favourites or Bookmarks, for when these occasions arise.

Here is the direct link to the Shoutbox: http://lightafterlife.shoutmix.net/

thanks for your comments, KK

I did think it odd that although it appeared the link to the website had failed, the page refreshed with my posting still intact when I'd expected it to be lost - and that's why I posted it again double-quick while the browser window was active.

It just happened to occur on one of my fairly-rare visits here which was an annoyance. The reason I don't visit is that the Bookmarked address is on my laptop, which I don't often use nowadays. I just happened to be charging the battery and catching up on anti-virus and Microsoft updates.

It would probably be pointless to Bookmark the Shoutbox as I visit so infrequently I'd probably forget anyway! Getting old sucks big time!

Maybe it's the service provider that's your problem because I regularly use (several times every day) a number of other websites and it's rare for them to have technical problems.

How are you doing nowadays?
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 21:40

mac wrote:Maybe it's the service provider that's your problem because I regularly use (several times every day) a number of other websites and it's rare for them to have technical problems.

No, it's definitely a problem unilaterally experienced only by the FreeForum-hosted forums (FreeForums being the name of the company that hosts those forums).
That is not to say that all free forums are affected. Krazy Kats, for instance (link can be found somewhere down towards the bottom of this Board's index) and also another private family forum that I run - are *free* forums, but they are hosted by Forumotion (same company that hosts Spiritualismlink and Spiritual Inspiration). I have never had any such problems with Krazy Kats nor any of the Forumotion-hosted forums - either as admin, member or guest reader.

mac wrote:How are you doing nowadays?

Why not take a visit over to the Krazy Kats (KK's) forum ... a wee bit more active and certainly far more up-to-date than here. Included on that forum is a little blog-type thread which I add to regularly, keeping it up to the present moment. You can also access this forum (Light After Life) direct from there, as well as the Shoutbox - which is permanently visible in the sidebar. You can even listen to music of your choice while you browse there (if you so fancy ).

As I have said, the link is on the Index here somewhere - but for ease of reference I will give it here: http://krazykats.forumotion.co.uk/

You would be most welcome to join there, if you find it to your liking.
(You might even recognise some of the regular posters on there ).

mac
Happy poster
Happy poster

Male

Post by mac on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 21:41

Candlelight.kk wrote:
mac wrote:Maybe it's the service provider that's your problem because I regularly use (several times every day) a number of other websites and it's rare for them to have technical problems.

No, it's definitely a problem unilaterally experienced only by the FreeForum-hosted forums (FreeForums being the name of the company that hosts those forums).
That is not to say that all free forums are affected. Krazy Kats, for instance (link can be found somewhere down towards the bottom of this Board's index) and also another private family forum that I run - are *free* forums, but they are hosted by Forumotion (same company that hosts Spiritualismlink and Spiritual Inspiration). I have never had any such problems with Krazy Kats nor any of the Forumotion-hosted forums - either as admin, member or guest reader.

mac wrote:How are you doing nowadays?

Why not take a visit over to the Krazy Kats (KK's) forum ... a wee bit more active and certainly far more up-to-date than here. Included on that forum is a little blog-type thread which I add to regularly, keeping it up to the present moment. You can also access this forum (Light After Life) direct from there, as well as the Shoutbox - which is permanently visible in the sidebar. You can even listen to music of your choice while you browse there (if you so fancy ).

As I have said, the link is on the Index here somewhere - but for ease of reference I will give it here: http://krazykats.forumotion.co.uk/

You would be most welcome to join there, if you find it to your liking.
(You might even recognise some of the regular posters on there ).

I think I'm already a member there as you invited me some time ago.... I popped in from time to time but it was quite a while back.
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 21:42

mac wrote:I think I'm already a member there

No, mac, you're not a member there - unless you joined under a different username?

mac
Happy poster
Happy poster

Male

Post by mac on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 21:43

Candlelight.kk wrote:
mac wrote:I think I'm already a member there

No, mac, you're not a member there - unless you joined under a different username?

Oh, no, I must just have been mistaken.....
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 21:44

All FreeForums-hosted sites were down all day yesterday and through the night. Only just came back up a little while ago, after something like 12 hours downtime. Those of you who have bookmarked the Shoutbox link will already know that you can follow the progress (and stay in contact) through the Shoutbox when downtimes like this occur. If you haven't already done so, (as always) I recommend you bookmark the link now. http://lightafterlife.shoutmix.net/

Also another link which will come in handy during Forum downtimes (and which was posted on the Shoutbox yesterday) is this one here: http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/freeforums.org.html

NOTE:  The actual date of posting of this thread was June 2014 (on the old forum).
(It's now 2017 when this new forum is being created).

Current date/time is Fri 18 Aug 2017, 06:06