Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of our existence: Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism ~ Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

3 posters

Bin and gone and dun it!

mac
    mac

Bin and gone and dun it! Empty Bin and gone and dun it!

Post by mac Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 21:55

It was time and I've just tret misen to a year's online subscription to Psychic News. I'll soon be catching up with all the stuff I've missed - don't suppose there was anything time-critical other than the competitions! lol
    evergreen
    evergreen

Bin and gone and dun it! Empty Re: Bin and gone and dun it!

Post by evergreen Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 22:55

mac wrote:It was time and I've just tret misen to a year's online subscription to Psychic News. I'll soon be catching up with all the stuff I've missed - don't suppose there was anything time-critical other than the competitions! lol

Appen thissen be all reet now, good 'un. Mr. Green
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sun 2 Dec 2018 - 23:21

evergreen wrote:
    mac wrote:It was time and I've just tret misen to a year's online subscription to Psychic News. I'll soon be catching up with all the stuff I've missed - don't suppose there was anything time-critical other than the competitions! lol

nor 'alf tha knows! gigle
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Mon 3 Dec 2018 - 10:42

mac wrote:
    evergreen wrote:
    mac wrote:It was time and I've just tret misen to a year's online subscription to Psychic News.  I'll soon be catching up with all the stuff I've missed - don't suppose there was anything time-critical other than the competitions!  lol  

Message received and understood ... (ish) lol  

Teachtaireacht a fuarthas agus a thuiscint - i bpáirt.  Bin and gone and dun it! Yahboo10
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Mon 3 Dec 2018 - 15:04

Candlelight.kk wrote:
    mac wrote:
    evergreen wrote:
    mac wrote:It was time and I've just tret misen to a year's online subscription to Psychic News.  I'll soon be catching up with all the stuff I've missed - don't suppose there was anything time-critical other than the competitions!  lol  

Teachtaireacht a fuarthas agus a thuiscint - i bpáirt.  Bin and gone and dun it! Yahboo10

That one's lost me! duh
    mac
    mac

Bin and gone and dun it! Empty dog with a bone!

Post by mac Mon 3 Dec 2018 - 16:16

I wondered if I'd remembered correctly so, now that I can, I've taken a look at the front covers of PN over the past 7 years, the ones listed on the 'Home' page of PN's website.

Quite a difference between the first publication of the new magazine December 2011 and current ones. "The Independent Voice Of Spiritualism" proudly displayed on its front cover, the title 'PSYCHIC NEWS' comparatively small.

Now 'PSYCHIC' is in huge letters and 'NEWS' much smaller, much less noticeable, the emphasis obvious. No mention of Spiritualism and, I expect, probably not many mentions of Spiritualism inside. Crying or Very sad
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Mon 3 Dec 2018 - 21:05

mac wrote:
    Candlelight.kk wrote:
    mac wrote:
    evergreen wrote:

That one's lost me! duh

It was meant to! monster

Gaelich (Irish). Mr. Green Just a straight translation of "Message received and understood ... (ish)"
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Mon 3 Dec 2018 - 21:48

Candlelight.kk wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Candlelight.kk wrote:
    mac wrote:
    evergreen wrote:

That one's lost me! duh

It was meant to! monster

Gaelich (Irish). Mr. Green Just a straight translation of "Message received and understood ... (ish)"

not fair! We were using dialects, yours is a free-standing language. Wink
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Mon 3 Dec 2018 - 21:58

mac wrote:I wondered if I'd remembered correctly so, now that I can, I've taken a look at the front covers of PN over the past 7 years, the ones listed on the 'Home' page of PN's website.

Quite a difference between the first publication of the new magazine December 2011 and current ones. "The Independent Voice Of Spiritualism" proudly displayed on its front cover, the title 'PSYCHIC NEWS' comparatively small.

Now 'PSYCHIC' is in huge letters and 'NEWS' much smaller, much less noticeable, the emphasis obvious. No mention of Spiritualism and, I expect, probably not many mentions of Spiritualism inside. Crying or Very sad

Well, the publication 'Psychic News' was never all just about Spiritualism - if that were the case it should've by rights been called 'Spiritualism News' (shouldn't it?). It was one of the founders of the publication, Maurice Barbanell, who named it 'Psychic News', as apparently he was told (by his spirit guide, Silver Birch) to use that name.
    I do remember, even back in it's weekly newspaper format days, back in the 70s / 80s (when I was first introduced to it (through the SAGB), the last few back pages being completely covered corner-to-corner with squeezed-in adverts, some larger boxed ones. I presume those ads were necessary to cover, or at least contribute to, the costs of printing and distributing the newspaper.
    Perhaps it was more interesting for you in the early days, mac, as you were reading and learning about things that were new to you at the time - things that now might just seem uninteresting and repetitive (to you).
    I personally think it's better to have a range of things to read about, rather than just the one subject - Spiritualism.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Mon 3 Dec 2018 - 22:24

Candlelight.kk wrote:
    mac wrote:I wondered if I'd remembered correctly so, now that I can, I've taken a look at the front covers of PN over the past 7 years, the ones listed on the 'Home' page of PN's website.

Well, the publication 'Psychic News' was never all just about Spiritualism - if that were the case it should've by rights been called 'Spiritualism News' (shouldn't it?). It was one of the founders of the publication, Maurice Barbanell, who named it 'Psychic News', as apparently he was told (by his spirit guide, Silver Birch) to use that name.
    I do remember, even back in it's weekly newspaper format days, back in the 70s / 80s (when I was first introduced to it (through the SAGB), the last few back pages being completely covered corner-to-corner with squeezed-in adverts, some larger boxed ones. I presume those ads were necessary to cover, or at least contribute to, the costs of printing and distributing the newspaper.
    Perhaps it was more interesting for you in the early days, mac, as you were reading and learning about things that were new to you at the time - things that now might just seem uninteresting and repetitive (to you).
    I personally think it's better to have a range of things to read about, rather than just the one subject - Spiritualism.

I'm not advocating that PN should be only about Spiritualism. I was simply bemoaning how little it has to say about the subject that once was its primary focus. And I don't argue with SB's idea that psychic should be in its title but he said that getting on for 8 decades ago and fings were diff'rent then and maybe it was never truly appropriate, even in those times. But PN was about Spiritualism and PN declared itself the independent voice of Spiritualism. Not sure what that implied or whether it applies now???

Adverts are adverts and pay for the costs of production that the cover price never could on its own. It's not that aspect I grumble about and, yes, I know I do grumble. It's what insufferable, purist, old-fart Spritualists like me do.

But maybe there ain't (m)any like me and it's only me who's grumbling after all? Maybe there's bugger-all Spiritualist news anyway and maybe nobody much cares what PN carries on its pages? It doesn't matter any to my spiritual needs because I've gone as far as I'll go in this incarnation which is fast approaching its end anyway. Mr. Green yay
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Mon 3 Dec 2018 - 22:46

Well of course Two Worlds has been going a lot longer than PN - and Two Worlds was known as the 'magazine for Spiritualists'.  (The name itself epitomised what Spiritualism was/is all about).  All the Two Worlds articles were indeed centred around Spiritualism and Mediumship, and those articles went into a lot more depth surrounding their respective subjects.  Now that the two publications have merged into one, it ought to make for an all-round far more interesting and informative publication in itself - a good marriage, and hopefully one that gets even better with time.  We shall see ...
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Mon 3 Dec 2018 - 23:40

Candlelight.kk wrote:Well of course Two Worlds has been going a lot longer than PN - and Two Worlds was known as the 'magazine for Spiritualists'.  (The name itself epitomised what Spiritualism was/is all about).  All the Two Worlds articles were indeed centred around Spiritualism and Mediumship, and those articles went into a lot more depth surrounding their respective subjects.  Now that the two publications have merged into one, it ought to make for an all-round far more interesting and informative publication in itself - a good marriage, and hopefully one that gets even better with time.  We shall see ...

I also took Two World for many years and enjoyed its focus as a complement to the mediumship and Spiritualism of PN - both had it in abundance but each with its own flavour. I suspect it will be a lowest-common-denominator rather than highest-common-factor deal with the publication now and in future, a dumbing-down in my eyes but so what - who cares what I think?

I accept there's gonna be a psychic vs. spiritual bias into the future and if it gets folk buying the mag or subscribing online then so be it. In the long game it probably doesn't matter as Spiritualism isn't going anywhere anyway. It'll be a niche interest in my view, just for a comparative few it holds some appeal for.

And, of course, in terms of news PN can only report what's new - is there anything?
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Mon 17 Dec 2018 - 15:21

Now I have a subscription I'm steadily working through back issues of PN. Thus far it's been largely what I expected/feared but the last one I read yesterday was August 2018 and I thoroughly enjoyed it. A bit out-of-date but in matters of the spirit there's little that's time-critical anyway!

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that I'll again find another edition I enjoy. Smile
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Tue 18 Dec 2018 - 0:39

mac wrote:Now I have a subscription I'm steadily working through back issues of PN. Thus far it's been largely what I expected/feared but the last one I read yesterday was August 2018 and I thoroughly enjoyed it. A bit out-of-date but in matters of the spirit there's little that's time-critical anyway!

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that I'll again find another edition I enjoy. Smile

So, it was worth your while taking out the subscription, that's good to hear, mac.
    Are you working backwards, or just picking issues at random?

I would be interested to hear what it was in particular you enjoyed reading about in that particular issue?
    There is actually a thread created in the Psychic News forum here for discussion and views on each separate issue of the magazine. I am copying this post over to the relevant designated thread - perhaps you might like to discuss there whatever it was that took your fancy(?)
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Tue 18 Dec 2018 - 4:06

Candlelight.kk wrote:
    mac wrote:Now I have a subscription I'm steadily working through back issues of PN. Thus far it's been largely what I expected/feared but the last one I read yesterday was August 2018 and I thoroughly enjoyed it. A bit out-of-date but in matters of the spirit there's little that's time-critical anyway!

So, it was worth your while taking out the subscription, that's good to hear, mac.
    Are you working backwards, or just picking issues at random?

I would be interested to hear what it was in particular you enjoyed reading about in that particular issue?
    There is actually a thread created in the Psychic News forum here for discussion and views on each separate issue of the magazine. I am copying this post over to the relevant designated thread - perhaps you might like to discuss there whatever it was that took your fancy(?)

I won't go as far as to say it was worth my taking out an annual sub. but at least I'm now up to date!

Yes I'm working backwards and in the next edition there's something about the PN / Two Worlds merger that I'm interested to learn about - I liked Two Worlds more than PN in my later years.

And yes I'll write a few words about the articles I enjoyed in the other thread which I haven't seen but I'll take a look for later - 9 o'clock evening now and I'm tired.... very happy

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024 - 7:37