Light After Life

Discussion forum exploring the mysteries of Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism: Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

First Spiritual Temple

Candlelight.kk

First Spiritual Temple

Post by Candlelight.kk on 13th March 2018, 20:04

"Making sense of God, Christ, Spirit & Religion through 4000 years of Spiritualism"

link    http://www.fst.org/welcome.htm
mac
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: First Spiritual Temple

Post by mac on 14th March 2018, 02:39

I visited the website.  It made interesting reading. 

Among many things I found interesting was the use of 'Modern Spiritualist' on that website.  I've been using the term 'Modern Spiritualism' for quite some time and recently I was told by a long-time Spiritualist that I was the only person he'd ever heard using the term - I don't think he meant that as a complement!

So it was refreshing to see the term in current use elsewhere on the website of the oldest Spiritualist church, somewhere with an intriguing provenance.
Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk on 15th March 2018, 14:40

mac wrote:Among many things I found interesting was the use of 'Modern Spiritualist' on that website.  I've been using the term 'Modern Spiritualism' for quite some time and recently I was told by a long-time Spiritualist that I was the only person he'd ever heard using the term - I don't think he meant that as a complement!

So it was refreshing to see the term in current use elsewhere on the website of the oldest Spiritualist church, somewhere with an intriguing provenance.

I wonder where you first picked up the term 'Modern Spiritualism'(?)  I guess someone, somewhere must have coined the phrase to start with.  Have you any idea who/where that was?
mac
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mac on 15th March 2018, 16:06

Candlelight.kk wrote:
mac wrote:Among many things I found interesting was the use of 'Modern Spiritualist' on that website.  I've been using the term 'Modern Spiritualism' for quite some time and recently I was told by a long-time Spiritualist that I was the only person he'd ever heard using the term - I don't think he meant that as a complement!

I wonder where you first picked up the term 'Modern Spiritualism'(?)  I guess someone, somewhere must have coined the phrase to start with.  Have you any idea who/where that was?
dead easy to answer!

I found it on the website (as it used to be) of the SNU and have used it ever since, even though I'm not involved in any way with the SNU.  

It was not a title I coined.
Misty
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Post by Misty on 15th March 2018, 20:15

Some great reading in that FST site.  thumb  I am learning a lot from what I have read there so far, and lot more to go.

Candlelight.kk wrote: I guess someone, somewhere must have coined the phrase to start with.  Have you any idea who/where that was?

In this article it says it was someone called Horace Greeley

http://ehbritten.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/first-use-games-modern-spiritualism.html

Modern Spiritualism' was a term coined in 1852 by Horace Greeley, one of the first publicists of Spiritualism in the US. This locution became common in both the US and England, giving the nineteenth-century occurrences of communicating with the dead a historical specificity [MD: translation -- "to distinguish modern Spiritual manifestations from ancient ones, as in the commonly-occurring phrase "ancient and modern Spiritualism"]. See Barbara Weisberg, Talking to the Dead: Katie and Maggie Fox and the Rise of Spiritualism (New York, 2004), p. 148; and Robert S. Cox 'Spiritualism', in Eugene V. Gallagher and W. Michael Ashcraft (eds), Introduction to New and Alternative Religions in America, vol. 3L Metaphysical, New Age and Neopagan Movements (Westport, CT, 2006), pp. 26-47, p. 44, n.6.

Then it goes on to say:
Let's play the first-use game. Is that true? Did Horace Greeley coin the term "Modern Spiritualism"? Now, I know that's a truism, burnished by repetition ....

Interesting article.
Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk on 15th March 2018, 21:18

Great find, Misty! very happy

I've seen the name Marc Damarest somewhere before, though couldn't remember from where.

Had a bit of a rummage.  Amongst other things, he is the curator of the Emma Hardinge Britten archives.
The Emma Hardinge Britten Archive is an open source scholarly archive containing primary material for students of Emma Hardinge Britten. Materials include annotated editions of all major EHB texts, bibliographies of primary and secondary material, a short biographical summary of EHB's life, chronologies with backing evidentiary records, various artifacts of EHB's life, and papers and articles on topics in EHB scholarship. Want lists of EHB materials are also provided, and dealer inquiries are welcome. And the curator's blog is also available.
Latest Update: April 19, 2012: Thomas Shorter's 1867 bibliography of Modern Spiritualism is now available, with links to all available digital texts integrated.

Here he is talking on some of his research:

Misty
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Post by Misty on 17th March 2018, 22:21

All a bit technical for me.  I'm sure its interesting to some people but I couldnt listen through all of that.
Maybe I just need to see the pictures as well to keep my interest. Mr. Green

Current date/time is 23rd October 2018, 05:10