Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism: Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

Topic 'it ?

Misty
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Female

Topic 'it ?

Post by Misty on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 09:24

Something strange when I went to log in here.  Next to the usual login place for username and password was a box saying
OR  Topic 'it

Suspect  Seems to be something to do with mobile phones but I was wary to go any further.  Do you know what its about kk?
Candlelight.kk

Female

Re: Topic 'it ?

Post by Candlelight.kk on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 11:52

Hi Misty,

Topic'it is a new feature which has now been rolled out across all the Forumotion forums.

Topic'it is a free mobile app which allows you to browse and participate to forums easily. The administrators can register their forum for free. The forum is then 100% optimized for mobile navigation . The app is available for both Android and iOS devices

All the Forumotion forums were down for a short while this morning for Maintenance; it would appear now that the reason for this was to set up the Topic'it app on all their forums to start operating today.  It is purely at the Admins' discretion as to whether or not they want to enable this feature on their forums - and I have chosen not to.  Perhaps with larger forums it might be a useful feature to have, but I really don't think it's necessary, as access to the forum via phones and other devices has always worked perfectly well without having to have a special app to enable its function.
I have today disabled the feature from this forum, so hopefully the blue notification at login will no longer show.
Misty
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Female

Post by Misty on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 12:55

Thanks kk.  I notice it has now disappeared.  The way things are going with this apphappy world we might soon be able to get a special app to eat and walk!  or even to think!  rabbit  Not a very appy thought. What a Face

mac
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Male
Job/hobbies : retired

Post by mac on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 13:25

I know I'm a dinosaur and as such I continue to use computers to access the web and all the sites and other activities it supports. 

Occasionally I use a so-called smart cell phone to take a look if I'm in a hurry and/or not online.  But app-based web browsers leave me frustrated at their lack of features cf a computer and the tiny screen adds to that frustration.  

Others seem to get on with 'em OK except that the grammatical/spelling standard of postings are dire but perhaps i notis 'em only 'cuz i'm a dinasore!

ps I still can't format and edit using Firefox as my browser - I've re-formatted this posting by using Opera which works just fine with all the website's features visible and accessible.  This stuff feels pretty weird when you don't understand what's going on!
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 13:57

mac wrote:
ps I still can't format and edit using Firefox as my browser - I've re-formatted this posting by using Opera which works just fine with all the website's features visible and accessible.  This stuff feels pretty weird when you don't understand what's going on!

I don't quite understand what the problem is relating to Firefox.  I use Firefox, and have not encountered any problems with quoting/formatting here.
Could you be a bit more specific about where you are experiencing the trouble here.  Is it that some of the buttons are missing?  'quote', 'edit', etc?  If that's what it is, it could well be that this only started happening after the Photobucket issue, and in which case it is fixable.  I replaced a variety of buttons & icons which are not the original theme ones - and I got a lot of those images from Photobucket when it was a free site.  I have been through the forum, salvaging a lot of images that we lost following PB-Gate, and re-installed them individually by having them hosted by the board.
If there are any missing images that you are aware of, please point them out to me and they can quite easily be replaced in that way.

Are you totally up to date with your Firefox browser, mac?  Are you using the latest version?  They have recently rolled out some major updates which have changed the way a lot of things work when using their browser; e.g. AdBlock Plus is no longer supported by FF. It just doesn't work anymore. I have had to change to something called AdBlocker Ultimate, which is compatible with FF.
This link might help in checking whether or not you are up to date with all the Firefox changes:
http://help.forumotion.com/t150550-mozilla-firefox-latest-updates#1058571

mac
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Male

Post by mac on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 17:34

I'll get back to you in more detail later, kk. I've typed ths using 'Quick Reply' because the 'Quote' button isn't showing (something I use routinely when replying) and neither is the 'Edit' button. Additionally I can't see the emoticons or my username top right of the page - in Firefox and also in Chrome the last time I looked. I think I encounter a similar problem on one of my other websites but I'll have to check again as I'm not certain it's still a problem.

And to answer your question about Firefox, yes it's bang up to date as yesterday when I checked - Kaspersky notifies me anyway if I ever miss a Firefox notification. All this message appears is in simple text, no RTF, no options to change font, formatting etc. If I go to Opera I get the full range of formatting features etc. Curious eh?
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 17:53

mac wrote:I'll get back to you in more detail later, kk.  I've typed ths using 'Quick Reply' because the 'Quote' button isn't showing (something I use routinely when replying) and neither is the 'Edit' button.  Additionally I can't see the emoticons or my username top right of the page - in Firefox and also in Chrome the last time I looked.  I think I encounter a similar problem on one of my other websites but I'll have to check again as I'm not certain it's still a problem.

And to answer your question about Firefox, yes it's bang up to date as yesterday when I checked - Kaspersky notifies me  anyway if I ever miss a Firefox notification.  All this message appears is in simple text, no RTF, no options to change font, formatting etc.  If I go to Opera I get the full range of formatting features etc.  Curious eh?

OK mac, I'll wait to hear from you.  It would help if you could you also check to see whether or not you get the same problem on the Krazy Kats forum, which is basically the same layout as here.

PS:  Forgot to say, also try deleting the forum's cookies and also clearing your cache - just in case.

mac
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Male

Post by mac on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 19:14

Candlelight.kk wrote:
mac wrote:I'll get back to you in more detail later, kk.  I've typed ths using 'Quick Reply' because the 'Quote' button isn't showing (something I use routinely when replying) and neither is the 'Edit' button.  Additionally I can't see the emoticons or my username top right of the page - in Firefox and also in Chrome the last time I looked.  I think I encounter a similar problem on one of my other websites but I'll have to check again as I'm not certain it's still a problem.

And to answer your question about Firefox, yes it's bang up to date as yesterday when I checked - Kaspersky notifies me  anyway if I ever miss a Firefox notification.  All this message appears is in simple text, no RTF, no options to change font, formatting etc.  If I go to Opera I get the full range of formatting features etc.  Curious eh?

OK mac, I'll wait to hear from you.  It would help if you could you also check to see whether or not you get the same problem on the Krazy Kats forum, which is basically the same layout as here.

PS:  Forgot to say, also try deleting the forum's cookies and also clearing your cache - just in case.
I'm recording stuff as I investigate.  This is Firefox on one of my other computers and it's working just fine, same in Krazy Kats.  So it's not Firefox and looks like it's the other computer causing problems.

I'm going to take a look at cleaning the cookies on the other but I must avoid wiping the stored passwords or I'll have to add the whole lot again - and there's a lot.

Back later when I've had a look what I need to do.....

mac
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Male

Post by mac on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 19:24

So now I'm writing on my other computer, the one with the issues.  I've emptied the Firefox cache and cleared cookies just for LaL and KK but it's made no difference.

Now I'm using Opera, I've added this comment and can see buttons and the emoticons that weren't visible in Firefox.  I'm sure I've done the same procedures before so I think I'll concede defeat and dip into Opera when I need to.

More ways to skin a cat than one!   pirat

mac
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Male

Post by mac on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 19:35

Candlelight.kk wrote:
mac wrote:

I don't quite understand what the problem is relating to Firefox.  I use Firefox, and have not encountered any problems with quoting/formatting here.
Could you be a bit more specific about where you are experiencing the trouble here.  Is it that some of the buttons are missing?  'quote', 'edit', etc?  If that's what it is, it could well be that this only started happening after the Photobucket issue, and in which case it is fixable.  I replaced a variety of buttons & icons which are not the original theme ones - and I got a lot of those images from Photobucket when it was a free site.  I have been through the forum, salvaging a lot of images that we lost following PB-Gate, and re-installed them individually by having them hosted by the board.
If there are any missing images that you are aware of, please point them out to me and they can quite easily be replaced in that way.

Are you totally up to date with your Firefox browser, mac?  Are you using the latest version?  They have recently rolled out some major updates which have changed the way a lot of things work when using their browser; e.g. AdBlock Plus is no longer supported by FF. It just doesn't work anymore. I have had to change to something called AdBlocker Ultimate, which is compatible with FF.
This link might help in checking whether or not you are up to date with all the Firefox changes:
http://help.forumotion.com/t150550-mozilla-firefox-latest-updates#1058571
I disabled AdBlock Plus some time ago as I thought it was misbehaving and slowing browser response.  If only things were left alone when they're working OK!
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Wed 11 Oct 2017, 22:46

mac wrote:So now I'm writing on my other computer, the one with the issues.  I've emptied the Firefox cache and cleared cookies just for LaL and KK but it's made no difference.

Now I'm using Opera, I've added this comment and can see buttons and the emoticons that weren't visible in Firefox.  I'm sure I've done the same procedures before so I think I'll concede defeat and dip into Opera when I need to.

When you get a chance, mac, can you try with the computer that's giving the problems and see if you are able to see the buttons now (quote / edit / post reply / new topic / etc)...  I have now hosted all of these on the forum; does it make any difference?

mac
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Male

Post by mac on Wed 11 Oct 2017, 23:07

Candlelight.kk wrote:
mac wrote:So now I'm writing on my other computer, the one with the issues.  I've emptied the Firefox cache and cleared cookies just for LaL and KK but it's made no difference.

When you get a chance, mac, can you try with the computer that's giving the problems and see if you are able to see the buttons now (quote / edit / post reply / new topic / etc)...  I have now hosted all of these on the forum; does it make any difference?

Yes doing that has enabled the 'Quote' and 'Multi Quote' buttons but only basic text when typing rather than RTF with no text formatting tools at the top of the posting box and no emoticons to the left of it. The 'Toggle smileys panel' button below is showing but not operational. On my other regularly-used computer all those buttons are visible and active. Curious, eh, but please don't spend your effort on my problem as I'm still guessing there's something wrong in the 'Settings' feature somewhere but I just can't spot where - yet!

Thanks for trying. Smile
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Wed 11 Oct 2017, 23:22

Well it does seem as though you are not the only one experiencing this problem.  A request on the Support Forum today from another forum shows something similar, but they don't seem to have come up with a solution yet.
http://help.forumotion.com/t154385-lost-text-editor-functions#1058653

So, yes, I think it's better just leave it for the time being.  Could be something to do with the changes that have been made on all the forums with the introduction of Topic'it.  I think probably best to wait a while and see how they get on with the problem, and also whether more people join in with the same issue.  At least you know you're not the only one that's experiencing this - so most likely the problem doesn't lie with your computer, it's with the forum, so you don't need to fiddle around with anything!

mac
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Male

Post by mac on Thu 12 Oct 2017, 06:11

Candlelight.kk wrote:Well it does seem as though you are not the only one experiencing this problem.  A request on the Support Forum today from another forum shows something similar, but they don't seem to have come up with a solution yet.
http://help.forumotion.com/t154385-lost-text-editor-functions#1058653

So, yes, I think it's better just leave it for the time being.  Could be something to do with the changes that have been made on all the forums with the introduction of Topic'it.  I think probably best to wait a while and see how they get on with the problem, and also whether more people join in with the same issue.  At least you know you're not the only one that's experiencing this - so most likely the problem doesn't lie with your computer, it's with the forum, so you don't need to fiddle around with anything!

Oh that's interesting.  Goodness knows what's going on.  I'm certainly going to leave things alone especially so as I can use Opera if/when I want to write a fully-structured and formatted response.

Thanks for trying to find out what's happening, kk. Smile

edit 5pm Thursday - nailed it!  It's a setting in my Kaspersky antivirus software.  It's been niggling at me that it might have been Kaspersky causing a problem and I've just sat down with the 'other' computer that worked OK and checked the Kaspersky protection settings.  

I found that data collection was allowed by default, something I knew I'd blocked on the computer with the issue.  Changing the setting to enable the blocking of data collection also blocked your website's emoticons, rich text etc.

For anyone not using Kaspersky there probably won't be similar problems but with some other antivirus packages there just might.

So now I'm back on the one with the problem to add this footnote -  I've just adjusted the Kaspersky settings as described above and now have full website edit, quote, emoticons, RTF etc. plus the 'Toggle smileys panel' button, just below on the left, is working as it should.  YAY!

Current date/time is Tue 17 Oct 2017, 17:51