Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism: Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

(POLL) - Display of latest topics and posts

Poll

TO SCROLL OR NOT TO SCROLL? Vote your preference for the Latest Topics display:

[ 2 ]
17% [17%] 
[ 10 ]
83% [83%] 

Total Votes: 12
Candlelight.kk

Female

Poll (POLL) - Display of latest topics and posts

Post by Candlelight.kk on Fri 15 Sep 2017, 18:24

Some people have expressed annoyance with the continuous scrolling movement of the latest topics widget in the side panel of the forum.  There have been a number of reasons given:

1. It's a distraction.
  2. Hard on the eyes.
  3. Moves too fast and takes too long to get to the end, before starting up again - with the most recent posts.

etc .....

This post is to enquire amongst our members and readers as to the most comfortable usage of the list for your own particular purposes.

At present, the widget contains the last 12 posted topics.  (Obviously, the more posts it contains, the longer you have to wait until it starts up again with the most recent - although of course the option is always there to hover over any particular post which will stop the scrolling momentarily - and you can also click in to any one of those listed posts and you will be taken straight into the post at its original placement in the forum.)

Without the scroll, the widget would have to be fixed at a certain height, which would mean the number of posts would have to be limited.

However, there is another way in which we can have as many back-posts as we want, within a fixed height box, with the addition of a scroll bar along the side which can be manually scrolled at your leisure, giving you instant access to as many back-posts as you wish:
- as per the example here which we have installed on the Forum Café: https://forumcafe.forumotion.co.uk/

This Poll is intended to garner the preferences of anyone who regularly uses the forum, whether registered members or readers.  The Poll will remain for 10 days, after which time we will take into account the majority preference and amend the widget to suit.
Candlelight.kk

Female

Poll Re: (POLL) - Display of latest topics and posts

Post by Candlelight.kk on Mon 18 Sep 2017, 19:44

Hmm. Well, even if the Poll comes out showing the majority preference as non-moving with a manual scrollbar to use by choice - it looks as though we're stuck with what we've got! 
I went to apply the different version to give folk an idea of what it would be like, so they can be compared - using exactly the same procedure as I had done for the Forum Café, but it just doesn't seem to work for me here.
I will keep trying, but if nothing changes - then we will just have to accept that it's not meant to be changed.
Better the devil you know ....  If it's not broke - don't fix it ....  and any other number of similar-meaning expressions.
ariel
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Male

Post by ariel on Mon 18 Sep 2017, 21:08

I just voted for the change, but happy either way.
As you so rightly say, Candlelight, "Better the devil you know ....  If it's not broke - don't fix it ....  and any other number of similar-meaning expressions"

Sometimes it's best not to tempt fate.  pirat
Stardust
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 10:07

I just voted for the second option (static list that can be scrolled down) but then I noticed that it's already in place.

very happy

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 15:27

Stardust wrote:I just voted for the second option (static list that can be scrolled down) but then I noticed that it's already in place.

very happy

The static list is there temporarily - just until the Poll closes - so that folk can compare one with the other, and so aid their choice.

The Poll is active for just 10 days, so due to close on 25th Sept.  The voting so far seems to be favouring the second alternative (which contains the latest 99 posts/topics made throughout the Forum).

mac
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Male
Job/hobbies : retired

Post by mac on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 16:11

I find just-about-anything moving on a page is a distraction including animated gifs.
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 16:22

mac wrote:I find just-about-anything moving on a page is a distraction including animated gifs.

They do have their purpose and, if used wisely, can beneficially enhance one's usage and enjoyment of the Forums overall.

mac
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Male
Job/hobbies : retired

Post by mac on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 17:35

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....
evergreen
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Male

Post by evergreen on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 14:57

I voted for the static option. very happy  Better by far.

Current date/time is Tue 17 Oct 2017, 17:51