Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of our existence: Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism ~ Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

3 posters

Photobucket no longer free ...

Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Photobucket no longer free ... Empty Photobucket no longer free ...

Post by Candlelight.kk Sat 8 Jul 2017 - 11:15

Photobucket says photo-f**k-it, starts off-site image shakedown
    No more freeloading graphics, it wants its $400-a-year cut

From The Register - Biting the hand that feeds IT ®

Photobucket is cracking down on people embedding on third-party websites images it hosts, until now, for free.
    The photo-slinging internet elder now says that anyone who wants to use its service to display photos it hosts on other pages – such as signature banners in forum posts – will now need to open up their wallets and plop down $399.99 a year for a subscription plan.
    The new policy will be particularly annoying to longtime users who have relied on Photobucket's 14-year-old service to host the images they use to place images on forums or in blog posts.
    Cheaper plans, including the free account option, will no longer have an option to allow third-party hosting.

Photobucket no longer free ... Photobucketthirdparty

The change of heart was quietly introduced by Photobucket earlier this week as an update to its terms of service.
    On the one hand, it's reasonable for Photobucket to ask for some help in footing its bandwidth bills for serving up images for folks on other websites; on the other hand, it will break a lot of graphics posted on the 'net and inlined in forums and blogs.
    "Photobucket defines 3rd-party hosting as the action of embedding an image or photo onto another website," the updated T&Cs read.
    "For example, using the (img) tag to embed or display a JPEG image from your Photobucket account on another website such as a forum, Etsy, eBay auction listings, a blog, etc, is definitively 3rd-party hosting."
    Not surprisingly, the new rules went over with users about as well as a rattlesnake in a pinata... ®

Some of the reaction so far on the net:
    Hope you go out of business with this strategy. Not paying a $400 ransom, I'll find someone else to host my pictures.
    8:43 PM - 29 Jun 2017
    Special congrats to @photobucket for killing their own site. No more 3rd party image hosting unless I pay $400/year? I'll go elsewhere, ty.
    5:03 PM - 29 Jun 2017
    Anyone else surprised #photobucket isn't offering Bitcoin as the only method of payment?
    9:15 PM - 29 Jun 2017
    you are a DISGUSTING company @photobucket this is 100% blackmail. I have years of blog content on your platform, now forcing to pay 400/year
    6:53 PM - 27 Jun 2017

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/30/photobucket_charging_400yr_3rdparty_pgs/
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Photobucket no longer free ... Empty Re: Photobucket no longer free ...

Post by Candlelight.kk Sat 22 Jul 2017 - 15:06

alienpop   Photobucket's recent dastardly deed has caused major disruption on forums, blogs and numerous other websites throughout the net as, in one swoop, all previously freely and legitimately loaded PB images were replaced with big ugly black boxes displaying a demand for BIG Dollars to be paid to Photobucket if you wanted to continue to view the pics. angry

There were a number of PB pics throughout this forum and so the place looked a bit like a war zone for a time.
    However, our hosts, Forumotion have very quickly and efficiently dealt with the situation thumb , by globally disabling ALL Photobucket images wherever they appeared on their forums, thus enabling administrators the opportunity to replace the blank spaces with a substitute similar image, or to seek out an alternative place to host their images.

This is the original announcement by Forumotion, explaining the situation:
    Photobucket no longer free ... Photob10

Dear users,

We inform you that the hosting images service PhotoBucket, which is one of the biggest hosting service on the internet and used by a lot of Forumotion users, changed its terms of use and you have now to pay to use it.

Since the beginning of July 2017, Photobucket added fees to display the images it hosts on third-party hosting. Indeed, this service allows only the users that have a premium account on their service to see the pictures hosted there. A premium account is around 400$ / year ! Photobucket no longer free ... Affraid

Consequence : more than 100 millions of internet users discovered a notification that asked them to buy a premium account to be able to use the images hosted on Photobucket or just to see them on their own website.

Indeed, the images hosted on Photobucket are only displayed for the premium account and are not shown on external websites they are on, replaced by an image that invites the users to suscribe to a premium account.

See exemple:

To avoid any problem on Forumotion themes and forums, we are going to replace all the PhotoBucket images that are on Forumotion by an empty image.

We'll do it on the Wednesday 12 of July 2017. As a consequence, we invite all the administrators that have PhotoBucket images on their forum to change their host by hosting those images on another host, such as Servimg which stays free.

Thank you for your understanding,

Best Reguards,
    The Forumotion staff Photobucket no longer free ... Icon_king

BIG THANK YOU TO FORUMOTION STAFF FOR THE SPEED AND EFFICIENCY WITH WHICH THEY DEALT WITH THIS. thanks

All the affected pics & buttons have now been suitably replaced here on the Forum - but if you come across anything that may have been overlooked, do please let me know, either with a follow-up post in this thread or, alternatively, by sending a message via the Contact link (at the bottom of the forum here). Any message sent that way will deliver directly to me as administrator of the forum.

Thank you for your patience, and I hope we can all now continue to enjoy the Forum in a relaxed and peaceful atmosphere. flower
    Misty
    Misty

Post by Misty Sat 22 Jul 2017 - 21:49

Wow. The internet is becoming such a cut-throat place.  Its all just about money.
    Well done kk. as usual you have done a great job patching up things when they go screwy-whiff. toast   Go girl! excited
    All looking good. You would never even know there had been any problem.
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Sat 22 Jul 2017 - 23:19

Misty wrote:Wow. The internet is becoming such a cut-throat place.  Its all just about money.
    Well done kk. as usual you have done a great job patching up things when they go screwy-whiff. toast   Go girl! excited
    All looking good. You would never even know there had been any problem.

Well, I'm just thankful that it got sorted - all credit due to our new hosts, Forumotion. very happy

Btw - had to laugh at the wording in the headline from The Register article, as quoted in the OP:

Photobucket says photo-f**k-it, starts off-site image shakedown
    gigle
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Sun 23 Jul 2017 - 11:24

Big thanks to Evergreen for pointing out the problems with the recent button changes on the forum.  thanks

I have now made the necessary adjustments, and hope these are now satisfactory for everyone.

Please continue to report any other issues noticed as a consequence of the Photofucket Photobucket disaster.
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Photobucket no longer free ... Empty Solution to the Photobucket disaster

Post by Candlelight.kk Sun 30 Jul 2017 - 13:01

We now have our own image hosting account on the forum.  Now we can all post photos & pics direct from our own computer into a post here on the forum. Photobucket no longer free ... Icon_biggrin  Photobucket no longer free ... 1029721073

When you are making a post here (either posting a new topic 'Post new topic', or replying to someone else's post 'Post reply' - if you look at the toolbar above the space where you are typing your reply, you will see a new icon has appeared up there (up to the left of the YouTube one) ... (Hover your mouse over each icon to see what their function is)  The one just left of YouTube is for posting links, then left again next to that is the one for posting images - that's the one that's always been there - THEN left again next to that one is the new one (hover over it and it says 'Host an image').

Press that icon and a box comes up.  See the green bit where it says + Select files - click that and you are straight into your own computer.  Select & highlight the photo  or photos that you want to post from your computer - from wherever you have it in your computer - pictures/flicker/dropbox/FaceBook - wherever...,and click on 'open' down the bottom of the box (you can do up to 5 photos per message/post - I can change that number if anyone wishes) and then 'send'.  Clicking 'Insert' then will bring that or those photos instantly into your post!

Any problems, give me a shout - although I have to say I am not an expert in this regard, not by any shape or form.  It's new to me also and I am just happy to see that it does what it says on the tin.  geek   We all learn through our own experiences. Basketball
    Misty
    Misty

Post by Misty Tue 1 Aug 2017 - 11:15

Its sad about Photobucket but it just reminds us all not to rely too much on just one thing.  You should always have a back-up, a substitute for when things dont work the way you want them to.
    Nothing is cast in stone on the internet.
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Tue 1 Aug 2017 - 16:46

Misty wrote:Its sad about Photobucket but it just reminds us all not to rely too much on just one thing.  You should always have a back-up, a substitute for when things dont work the way you want them to.
    Nothing is cast in stone on the internet.

Yes to that.  yes   Not just in the forums though!  I think this is something that covers all aspects of life.  (Is it the Scouts' motto? - Be prepared! ... )  and I would add to that:  Be prepared - and always have a contingency plan to fall back on. flower
    ariel
    ariel

Post by ariel Wed 2 Aug 2017 - 18:11

Photobucket was never reliable anyway.  I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.  Imgur and GoogleImages both have good reps.

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024 - 5:33