Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of our existence: Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism ~ Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

4 posters

[solved] Secure websites on the internet

Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

solved [solved] Secure websites on the internet

Post by Candlelight.kk Wed 19 Apr 2017 - 22:06

(originally posted on 16 Mar 2017 05:30 pm )

This issue has already been covered on Krazy Kats (a Forumotion-hosted forum), [solved] Secure websites on the internet Arrow+%28little+red%29 HERE.
    Following the new standards imposed by the use of a secure connection protocol, Google Chrome & Firefox (and maybe some others) will display an alert for "Not secure" sites from January 2017. All HTTP forums pages will display a "Not secure" label as soon as a password field is displayed on the page.

However, it seems FreeForums sites users are experiencing the same problems with this new rule imposed by not only Google, but Firefox and Opera also - all the major browsers it would seem. (See HERE)

In fact, it would appear that ALL sites throughout the whole of the web that require a password-controlled login, (whether http or https) are now being plagued with this [totally unnecessary and hideous] invasion, so that when anyone attempts to log into any of these sites, they are met with a very misleading notice, implying that the site is not secure, etc .... This also shows in the browser search bar of any of these sites. It's everywhere!

Quite frankly, this invasive information is rubbish! Nothing has changed on any of these sites to compromise their safety and security - it is an unwelcome scare tactic imposed on perfectly innocent, law-abiding sites to possibly ward off any potential wrong-doers. Fair enough, we all want to be assured of our safety and security and I'm sure all forum users, everywhere, are happy to know that the appropriate measures are in place to ensure their protection - BUT these protocols should be implemented in a less radical and more fair and balanced manner. Let's just hope this is just a short-term situation and pray that the powers-that-be will find a way to introduce a less invasive way of implementing these security measures.

For all forum members and guests here, I can only repeat what I have stated in the above link:

DO NOT WORRY
    This does not affect us in any way - and this forum is still perfectly safe and secure to use - as it has always been.
    Misty
    Misty

solved Re: [solved] Secure websites on the internet

Post by Misty Wed 19 Apr 2017 - 22:10

I read about this on Krazykats, kk and since reading it I did notice that all forums I am a member of or just visit as a guest all have the same thing. I use firefox. Not only forums but nearly all websites show the same little info circle in the search bar. If you hover on it, it says "show site information" and when you click it, it shows the name of the site and under that it says in red Connection is Not Secure. I have noticed the little circles before but not checked them out till now.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Wed 19 Apr 2017 - 22:11

Firefox has become such a nuisance when visiting the several websites where I'm a regular that I've largely given up on it and started Chrome instead.
    Misty
    Misty

Post by Misty Wed 19 Apr 2017 - 22:12

Is Chrome any better though? It does say in the announcement that KK put on Krazykats that "Google Chrome & Firefox (and maybe some others) will display an alert for "Not secure" sites from January 2017." Its only in the last 3 days or so that I've been getting these nuisance boxed notices when I go to log in (with firefox).

I might give chrome a try anyhow.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Wed 19 Apr 2017 - 22:14

Misty wrote:
    Is Chrome any better though? It does say in the announcement that KK put on Krazykats that "Google Chrome & Firefox (and maybe some others) will display an alert for "Not secure" sites from January 2017." Its only in the last 3 days or so that I've been getting these nuisance boxed notices when I go to log in (with firefox).

I went to Chrome as my issues with Firefox emerged last week after it was updated. Thus far Chrome hasn't shown any similar issues.

If you're feeling adventurous there's also Opera, Edge if you're using W10, Internet Explorer and Vivaldi.

I've liked and used Firefox for years but it's losing its edge over the others.
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Wed 19 Apr 2017 - 22:22

mac wrote:
    Misty wrote:

I went to Chrome as my issues with Firefox emerged last week after it was updated. Thus far Chrome hasn't shown any similar issues.

If you're feeling adventurous there's also Opera, Edge if you're using W10, Internet Explorer and Vivaldi.

I've liked and used Firefox for years but it's losing its edge over the others.

I think there's much of a muchness between the pair of them. They both have their pros and cons. But yes, the recent update with FireFox is causing a lot of frustration when using forums - just when you go to put in your username and password (when that intrusive box covers where you're trying to type it in - very annoying! Bit like a mosquito that you feel you need to swat, but it's always there, just out of reach!)
    Google is a bit more discreet about it.
    Once you're logged in though there's no problem. So, I suppose we'll just have to put up with it, and hope that they'll get enough complaints to force them into making some sort of modification. They surely don't plan to make this a permanent thing .... I hope not.
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Wed 19 Apr 2017 - 22:25

The issue has now been sorted with all Forumotion-hosted forums (e.g. Krazy Kats). [solved] Secure websites on the internet Solved [solved] Secure websites on the internet Thumb1 [solved] Secure websites on the internet Icon_biggrin

Waiting now for FreeForums to do their bit. ..... [solved] Secure websites on the internet Waiting_ (might be a long wait ... )

FF [solved] Secure websites on the internet ButterflyHope
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Wed 19 Apr 2017 - 22:25

The technical team are still working on this issue.

See progress here: http://support.freeforums.org/viewtopic ... 62#p575962
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Wed 19 Apr 2017 - 22:27

Things take time, I guess.....
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Wed 19 Apr 2017 - 22:28

mac
    mac

Post by mac Wed 19 Apr 2017 - 22:29

interesting
    ariel
    ariel

Post by ariel Tue 30 May 2017 - 19:47

The new forum doesn't have that annoying pop-up box when trying to log in with password.  It's showing me a green lock in the address bar and site information indicates that it's a secure connectionthumb 

I have only one grumble however.  No games arcade in this site. Sad
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Tue 30 May 2017 - 19:51

ariel wrote:The new forum doesn't have that annoying pop-up box when trying to log in with password.  It's showing me a green lock in the address bar and site information indicates that it's a secure connectionthumb 

I expect there are plenty of others that do have games you can play.   Wink
    ariel
    ariel

Post by ariel Tue 30 May 2017 - 20:00

mac wrote:
    ariel wrote:The new forum doesn't have that annoying pop-up box when trying to log in with password.  It's showing me a green lock in the address bar and site information indicates that it's a secure connectionthumb 

Yeah but they are all a bit too competitive and frantic for me.  None as calm and soothing as this place. pirat
    I am sure Candlelight will be missing the arcade too.  Now she has no chance of regaining the champ's trophy. monster
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Sat 3 Jun 2017 - 10:33

ariel wrote:
    mac wrote:

Yeah but they are all a bit too competitive and frantic for me.  None as calm and soothing as this place. pirat
    I am sure Candlelight will be missing the arcade too.  Now she has no chance of regaining the champ's trophy. monster

I just noticed this post. What a Face    Just a reminder, ariel - Don't be getting too comfortable. pirat
    We never really know what tomorrow may bring and who knows, you may well have your smile turned upside down in some not-too-far-off tomorrow.  Like I said - keep that trophy polished and just enjoy it while you can. Wink
    ariel
    ariel

Post by ariel Sat 3 Jun 2017 - 11:18

Candlelight.kk wrote:
    ariel wrote:
    mac wrote:

I just noticed this post. What a Face    Just a reminder, ariel - Don't be getting too comfortable. pirat
    We never really know what tomorrow may bring and who knows, you may well have your smile turned upside down in some not-too-far-off tomorrow.  Like I said - keep that trophy polished and just enjoy it while you can. Wink

Rolling Eyes   Whateva!  Right now I am still the champ.  yay

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024 - 11:49