Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism: Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

Omens, Superstitions & Old Wives Tales

Candlelight.kk

Female

Omens, Superstitions & Old Wives Tales

Post by Candlelight.kk on Fri 19 May 2017, 09:35

31 Jan 2008, 09:28

Know any?

Friday the 13th is one. Indeed the number 13.

Why are we superstitious aout the number 13?

Did you know some hotels and large corporations do not have a thirteenth floor. Goes from 12 to 14.
Stardust
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Re: Omens, Superstitions & Old Wives Tales

Post by Stardust on Fri 19 May 2017, 09:36

31 Jan 2008, 10:07

I believe it may be because there were 13 at the table for the Last Supper which was originally thought to have been on a Friday.

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Fri 19 May 2017, 09:38

31 Jan 2008, 10:14

That's my belief also. I am so superstitious. If I find I'm seated at a table with 13 people, I always insist we lay a place for one more - and although it may be empty a morsel of food, wine, whatever we're having to be placed at the empty setting.
liz
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Female

Post by liz on Fri 19 May 2017, 09:39

31 Jan 2008, 12:02

Ive never been superstitious,but John OMG he won't let you put shoes on the table even if they a brand new in the box he takes a dicky fit if he sees them on the table,he has loads of superstitions but I cant think of the others at the moment,I've never seen anybody as bad as him,his mother was very superstitious and she was from Germany whether that has anything to do with it I don't know but he is unbelievable  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Fri 19 May 2017, 09:40

02 Feb 2008, 23:17

ACORN

To carry an acorn on your person prevents you growing old, says an ancient British superstition. The original of this belief probably arises from the fact that the acorn comes from the oak tree which was considered by the ancient Druids to be a sacred tree with special powers. The charm is said to work best for women, especially if they carry the acorn in their pockets or handbag.

AEROPLANES

The crews of modern aeroplanes have a strong fear of using the words 'crash' or 'prang' before a flight, and in many airlines there persists the belief that any accident or crash will be followed by two more. Many pilots and their crew carry small charms and there is a universal islike among all these people against taking flowers on board - particularly red an white ones. Air Force crews believe that when 'touching wood' for luck, the wood should be a living tree, as wood used for tables, chairs, etc is 'dead' an therefore not a good omen. A pilot is also sai to be able to preserve his luck by emptying the contents of his pockets on the ground after landing as a kin of sacrificial offering. American airmen always cross unused seat-belts before taking off so as not to offend the spirits of the unknown.

APRIL FOOLS DAY

The origin of this practice of fooling people on the first day of April is probably lost in the mists of time, but in its modern form it seems to have come to Britain from France in the sixteenth century. In 1564 the French instigated the creation of January 1st as the first day of the year, bringing it forward from its previous date of March 25th (now known as Lay Day). It appears that prior to this people had been in the habit of giving presents to one another to celebrate the first day of teh new year, but as the old date of March 25th usually fell in Holy Week, the Church insisted that this rite be postponed until the first of April. When, therefore, the New Year was moved back to January, a custom grew up among the French of paying visits to their friends on April 1st in the hope of 'fooling' them that it was still the first day of the new year. From this modest beginning, the custom travelled throughout Europe and indeed now embraces the world.
liz
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Female

Post by liz on Fri 19 May 2017, 09:42

02 Feb 2008, 23:54

Any spare acorns floating about?  lol
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Fri 19 May 2017, 09:43

03 Feb 2008, 01:54

BACON
Bacon is believed to be a powerful curative for fever and constipation according to a European superstition - but only, apparently, if it has been stolen!

BELLS
Throughout much of Europe church bells are said to drive away evil spirits, and at one time it was believed that if they were rung during a storm they might distract the spirit of the storm from his work and cause the bad weather to abate. In England especially it is said that if two bells ring in a house at the same time somebody is shortly going to leave, and it is also an ill omen if a bell rings for no apparent reason.

BRIDGE
In several European countries it is considered an ill-omen to take leave of a friend on a bridge, for to do so means that you will never meet again. And it is unlucky to go under a railway bridge either on foot or in a car when a train is passing overhead.
Stardust
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Fri 19 May 2017, 09:45

12 Feb 2008, 14:40

Birthday chant :
Monday's child is fair of face
Tuesday's child is full of grace
Wednesday's child is full of woe
Thursday's child has far to go
Friday's child is loving and giving
Saturday's child works hard for a living
But the child that is born on the Sabbath day
is bonnie, blithe, happy and gay.

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Fri 19 May 2017, 09:46

13 Feb 2008, 23:23

That's me - bonnie, blithe, happy and ..... happy  lol lol
elly
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Female

Post by elly on Fri 19 May 2017, 09:56

14 Feb 2008, 01:51

i'm a saturday child .......figures

Voldsgaard
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Male

Post by Voldsgaard on Fri 19 May 2017, 10:03

14 Feb 2008, 08:05

I am a monday child.... sure it didn't say "fell on his face" ??

Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Fri 19 May 2017, 10:06

14 Feb 2008, 09:14

Voldsy !  lol That makes you a child of the Moon.  very happy Wow for your new avatar !  very happy

Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Fri 19 May 2017, 10:08

15 Feb 2008, 10:50

liz wrote:
Any spare acorns floating about? lol

Well, this little fellah's got one but he's keeping hold of it for his Winter store.
You wouldn't want to steal if from him would you Liz ? Then he'd go hungry.  sadface

Oh no ! You WOULD !

VIP Member
VIP Member

Female

Post by Feather on Fri 19 May 2017, 10:12

15 Feb 2008, 13:43
I'm Friday's child--(cough)---"loving and giving". Well, that's not for me to say.

Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Fri 19 May 2017, 10:25

28 Mar 2008, 13:17

If a black cat walks towards you it brings good luck, but if it walks away it takes your good luck with it.

If you see three butterflies together they will bring good luck.
If the first butterfly you see in the year is white, it means you'll have good luck throughout the year.

If you pick up a coin when it's heads up it brings good luck; if it's tails side up it means bad luck.

You should always get out of the bed on the same side that you get in otherwise it causes bad luck.

Seeing your face in a mirror by candlelight causes bad luck.

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Fri 19 May 2017, 10:27

28 Mar 2008, 20:31
There are countless superstitions surrounding the moon, but here are just a few relating to the NEW MOON.

To see the new moon for the first time through a window (or any glass) is an ill-omen, although if you view it first in the open and over your right shoulder then luck is coming your way (you can also make a wish).
According to an ancient document in the British Museum (The Cotton MS.), the first ten days after the full moon are those most affected by superstition, and the advice the anonmous writer offers is as follows:

First Day. The first day of the new moon is the best on which to begin any new venture. If you fall ill on this day,though, you will be sick for some considerable time and probably have to endure much discomfort. Any child born on the first will live a long time and by happy and prosperous.
Second Day. This is a good day to buy or sell anything, and particularly auspicious for taking a sea voyage. It is also an excellent time for farmers to plough the land or for seeds to be sown in the garden.
Third Day. A generally ominous day - and a child orn on the third will not live long. Criminals should also beware for they are most likely to be caught for any crime committed on this day.
Fourth Day. The right day of the month to start any construction operations in connection with houses and buildings. If politics are your chosen profession, adds the superstition, this is a most fortuitous day on which to have been born.
Fifth Day. The weather on this day will be fair indication of what is to follow for the rest of the month, and a good day for a woman to conceive.
Sixth Day. The best day of the month for anyone to go hunting or fishing.
Seventh Day. An ideal time for a boy and girl to meet and fall in love.
Eighth Day. Beware of falling inn on this day above all others, says superstition, for a sickness begun on the eight will almost certainly end in death.
Ninth Day. Do not allow the moon to shine on your face on this night or you will have your features distorted and perhaps go mad. In some places it is believed that to let the new moon shine on your sleeping face during any of these early days will result in insanity.)
Tenth Day. Anyone born on this day is destined to be a wanderer and resless of spirit.

(from my book of Omens & Superstitions. A refreshing change perhaps, because I would say 99% of the superstitions and omens listed in the book seem to be related to death or warnings of imminent death!)  confused
Curious
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Female

Post by Curious on Fri 19 May 2017, 10:30

09 Nov 2015, 07:00

Walking under a ladder will bring bad luck, so is breaking a mirror.

I always make sure i get out of bed on the same side i get in.
Stardust
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Fri 19 May 2017, 10:34

09 Nov 2015, 15:08

Candlelight.kk wrote:
There are countless superstitions surrounding the moon, but here are just a few relating to the New Moon.
Ninth Day. Do not allow the moon to shine on your face on this night or you will have your features distorted and perhaps go mad. In some places it is believed that to let the new moon shine on your sleeping face during any of these early days will result in insanity.

I love the Moon and falling asleep with its light shining on my face, whatever day it is, but especially when its full and round and beautiful.
I'm sure I've often slept beneath its light on the Ninth day, and I'm not going to stop. If anything drives me insane it certainly won't be the wonderful Moon.
happyheart

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Fri 19 May 2017, 10:40

09 Nov 2015, 17:27

Feather wrote:
I haven't read the previous posts here but the only one I know is not to see the new moon for the first time through glass. The result will be bad luck. It's all a lot of rubbish, of course.

Feather - one of the previous posts in this thread was actually made by YOU. Granted, it was a long time ago ... over 7 years ago! .....
Many thanks to Curious for bringing this very old thread back to life - and with it some very happy memories from way back then.
I will have to fish out my Omens & Superstitions book again and continue on with the alphabetical superstitions here. (We seem to have stopped at the C's.

(Wouldn't it be great if everyone who had participated in this thread were to come back here now and join in again ...  very happy banana .
I notice that our liz has paid a visit to the forum in the last 24 hours. Hello liz!  wave Great to see you. very happy  I hope all is well with you - and hope you'll pop in again and let us know how you're doing.  happyheart )
Stardust
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Fri 19 May 2017, 10:44

10 Nov 2015, 10:44

This coming Friday is 13th, just in case anyone wants to go buy a scratch card. You may win.  yay
Depends whether for you it's lucky or unlucky.  wagtail
Some people who think it's unlucky extend the bad luck to multiples of 13 also, which is taking it to extremes. chair

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Female

Post by Curious on Fri 19 May 2017, 10:46

11 Nov 2015, 02:59

I'll buy a ticket as I do every other Friday.

Opening an umbrella indoors is another one.
Feather
VIP Member
VIP Member

Female

Post by Feather on Fri 19 May 2017, 10:49

11 Nov 2015, 15:01

I love your avatar, Curious.  yay

Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Female

Post by Misty on Fri 19 May 2017, 10:52

11 Nov 2015, 20:40

Yes the umbrella is one I never do. But that one has actually got a sensible and down to earth reason for waiting till you get ouside before opening your brolly. Nothing superstitious about it either!

Don't walk under a ladder is the first one that comes to my mind.
Sorry if that one's already been mentioned.
Curious
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Female

Post by Curious on Fri 19 May 2017, 10:57

11 Nov 2015, 23:02

Feather wrote:
I love your avatar, Curious.  yay

Thank you Feather.
Stardust
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Fri 19 May 2017, 11:00

08 Nov 2016, 23:19

You should always say hello to a magpie, if you don't it's bad luck.

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Fri 19 May 2017, 11:04

09 Nov 2016, 00:29

Stardust wrote:
You should always say hello to a magpie, if you don't it's bad luck.

Your French magpies might be happy with just a passing "hello", but here in the UK (well, ok ... maybe just in Ireland  razz ...) if you see just one magpie on its own, to ward off the bad luck you have to salute it while saying "Good morning, Mister Magpie and how's your wife and family?"
Yes, it's a really stupid one, isn't it.  nuts
Stardust
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Fri 19 May 2017, 11:08

09 Nov 2016, 07:46

I like it.
They're such pretty birds and they so love to chatter.

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Fri 19 May 2017, 11:14

09 Jan 2017, 18:01

Uh-Oh ....  the 13th of this month falls on a Friday!  Five days away, actually (13th January 2017).

From The Telegraph - (includes video):
  arrow  Friday the 13th: where does it come from and why is it unlucky?
Misty
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Female

Post by Misty on Fri 19 May 2017, 11:17

09 Jan 2017, 18:01

Did you know there's an official word for fear of Friday 13th. Paraskevidekatriaphobia.

Lots of people won't even leave their house to go to work on Friday 13th, just stay at home and not even get out of bed! For some, even that turns out to be unlucky.

Even staying in bed couldn't help this man

Friday 13th August, 1976, was particularly unlucky for New York man Daz Baxter.

Having elected to stay in bed to ward off bad luck, the floor of his apartment block collapsed and he fell six storeys to his death.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... es-6818913

I dont know how accurate this story is, but I have heard it before -

Retired bus conductor Bob Renphrey of North Wales decided to spend every Friday 13th in bed after a run of bad luck on the fateful day.

Among other misfortunes he wrote off four cars, got made redundant, fell into a river, crashed a motorcycle and walked through a plate glass door.

Can't blame him, really.

...and it didn't stop when he died

When Bob died of cancer in 1998, his widow Betty – who on previous Friday 13ths had fallen downstairs, been hit by falling guttering and been hospitalised after Bob hit her in the face with a stick he was throwing to a dog - decided to book his funeral for Friday 13th March as a final tribute

Alas, all Rhyl’s undertakers were too busy.

“Bob would have seen the funny side,” said Mrs Renphrey.
Stardust
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Fri 19 May 2017, 11:50

09 Jul 2012, 12:18

That's rather long for me to read at the moment, though I had a quick look through. On the question of spiritual platforms, I've never attended a meeting so can't say what I'd think on the subject.

But taking the thread title, it's the same as reaping what we sow, yes?

We've been polluting the Earth for many years although we've had warnings from many sources that we should stop destroying it, and now Nature is hitting back, so we're getting what we deserve.

There's not much point in a minority battling to save the Earth if the majority are taking a don't care attitude and carrying on regardless. How many times have I heard the typical reply "I'll be dead by then so why should I bother?" - too many.

Not a very spiritual reply as it implies that once death's door has closed behind you the Earth is no longer your problem, but if there is an afterlife then surely taking care of the Earth should be a priority. Not only for future generations, but also ourselves if it just so happens that reincarnation does indeed exist. Do we want to come back to a burnt out, inhospitable planet, or to the green and blue paradise it was before we started messing with it.

Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Fri 19 May 2017, 11:52

09 Jul 2012, 13:19

Candlelight wrote:
Our today shapes our tomorrow

The ancients were wiser than we have given them credit for. They had many gods, each a specialist in a particular aspect of life. Our Great Spirit of today, comprised of all of those skilled beings through history, embraces all those individual gods of our ancestors; it enables us, if needed, to impute a degree of personality, where so desired, when we pray to Father God.

Today many people still pray to different entities with 'specialities'. They aren't called gods now, but angels and/or saints.

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 15:54