Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism: Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

Musical memories from around the world

Candlelight.kk

Female

Musical memories from around the world

Post by Candlelight.kk on Thu 18 May 2017, 00:53

08 Sep 2008

CHEB KHALED  (Algerian / French) LIBYA

First time I heard Cheb Khaled's music was in Libya.  Every evening after work my friends and I would spend watching the sun set over the sea, sitting outside the little hut on the beach, where Tunisian couple who ran it ,Maryam and Ibrahim, would serve us cappucino and chips (sometimes hamburger if we were lucky) or ice-cream.  The strains of Cheb Khaled wafting over the smooth Mediterranean waters.  More times than not we had the whole beach to ourselves and would dance to the exotic beat of 'Didi'. (They only had one cassette in the whole place, Cheb Khaled - and before I left there did a swap with them, a few of my various mixed cassettes for their one treasured Cheb Khaled, and so brought back home with me memories of those unforgettable Libyan sunsets.

[all 3 videos now unavailable]

I missed him when he came to London - didn't know until after the event, but if he comes to do a concert here again I would definitely like to go.
Stardust
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Re: Musical memories from around the world

Post by Stardust on Thu 18 May 2017, 01:00

08 Sep 2008, 10:21

Used to hear Didi all the time on the radio.

I love Arabo-Andalusian music.

[video no longer available]

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Thu 18 May 2017, 01:06

09 Sep 2008, 19:05

MOROCCO

So many wonderful memories of this beautiful country, it's hard to choose just one.

This song brings back some of them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtzIwGViR5w ('Marrakesh Express') - singing it all the way on the road from the rugged Atlantic coastline and the Sahara desert in the deepest south, journeying through the red Atlas mountains, stopping off to eat, tajin - from a mountain cave high above the world (what a view) on to the magical walled city of Marrakesh. Aaah, a wonderland filled with aromas, acrobats, the souks, snake charmers, music, and so much more.

The most beautiful sunset I've ever seen after midnight on the beach at Agadir ...

through towns ever-changing - Meknes, Fez, Casablanca, the exotic souks and bazaars of Tangiers,  - and then on through the high Rif mountains in the north, driving through the clouds .... final destination Al Houceimas on the coast of the Mediterranean sea. 

Video montage of daily life in Marrakesh, Morocco, including scenes of snake charmers, henna painters, carpet dealers and musicians in the Djemma el-Fna Square and the surrounding souks and bazaars.

Magical Marrakesh
Stardust
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Thu 18 May 2017, 01:14

12 Sep 2008, 14:10

Istanbul (Turkey)

[3 other videos no longer available]

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Thu 18 May 2017, 01:18

13 Sep 2008, 01:37

Aah, Turkey truly is a spectacular country.  Although I have only scratched the surface, one tiny little spot in a day trip over from the Greek island of Kos - but that was one adventurous day for sure! (I think I've written a little bit about that memorable day somewhere else on this forum).

I don't understand your reference to Ché Guevera, Stardust?  However, mention of him brings back some wonderful memories of my time in captivating Cuba.  Even though whilst there in the midst of a raging hurricane, I fell hopelessly in love with this beautiful island, the people and the way of life there.  The music, the dancing - everywhere people laughing, singing, music and dancing, samba, mamba, rumba.  In fact, I had plans to return the following year where my partner (of 15 years) and I had planned to marry.  The date was fixed, 27th November, everything booked - except at the eleventh hour, so to speak, he got the proverbial cold feet - so everything was cancelled (including my partner, eventually, who is now my 'ex').  But that's another story all of its own...

My foremost musical memory of Cuba has got to be the tune that followed us everywhere we went, every street corner, every restaurant, on the beach, Cuba's own 'Guantanamera'.

Stardust
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Thu 18 May 2017, 01:27

13 Sep 2008, 15:53

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Thu 18 May 2017, 01:43

13 Sep 2008, 16:33

and not forgetting one small corner of that island, owned, occupied and notoriously sullied by America ...

ETA:  It was a Channel 4 documentary detailing the horrific torture tactics and atrocities meted out to captives at Guantanamo Bay.

There are plenty more videos of a similar ilk on YouTube if anyone cares to look them up.
Some people may wish to bury their heads in the sand and rather not know the truth of what really goes on in the world
but in my opinion these things should not be covered up.  People should be informed .....
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Thu 18 May 2017, 01:57

14 Sep 2008, 00:41

EGYPT - Precious memories of my visits there will remain with me for ever.

- Take me back to Cairo

[video no longer available] - Guided tour of Cairo

Best way to see the Pyramids - at night time, as I did.  Absolutely awe-inspiring.

- Pyramids Sound & Light Show

- some beautiful Egyptian music
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Thu 18 May 2017, 02:00

14 Sep 2008, 23:14

Unforgettable musical memories of HUNGARY?  Hmmm .. believe it or not - Max Bygraves and Nat King Cole !!  One Christmas - long coach journey departing London, destination Hungary.  To get us in the seasonal mood, taped music on the coach, Nat King Cole and Max Bygraves, and .... and .... NO 'and'. That was it - the same 2 tapes over and over.  By the time we reached our destination we had Max's Rudolf coming out of our red noses and Nat's White Christmas up to our eyeballs.  Unforgettable!

- Unforgettable

Stop off one night / one day in Vienna
- Vienna

- Budapest

[video no longer available] - Hungarian Folk Dance

Was an unforgettable Christmas in more ways than one - but too long a story ...
The holiday company went into liquidation on our return.
Other holidaymakers (including my travelling companion - my partner) called it the holiday from hell.
I called it 'an adventure'.
Either way - it was most definitely unforgettable.
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Thu 18 May 2017, 02:04

20 Sep 2008, 14:44

Oh dear - can't seem to escape from Max on my travels   Rolling Eyes  but musical memories of AMSTERDAM just has to be

[video no longer available]  - 'Tulips from Amsterdam' (sung by Max Bygraves!)

A place I've been back to this place over and over again, and this is one place where I know I could live quite happily. 
Pretty, laid-back, interesting and unique.  I just adore Amsterdam.

Tried to find a picture of the famous Cat's Home - on a barge on the canal, which was a regular feature at one time, and regular port of call for me - all these cats living on a barge on the canal. 
Wanted to post up something here, but sadly, it no longer exists.

- alive & vibrant

- laid back & pretty

PS:  I found this article about the Cat Boat - Poezenboot

Rescue centre - on a boat!

It’s the only cat rescue centre in Holland that floats.

Why? Well, the Poezenboot has become a world-famous tourist attraction as a refuge for stray and abandoned cats, on a houseboat moored on a picturesque Amsterdam canal.

Most cats despise water. But the Poezenboot cats get along just fine on their watery home. And they’ve been doing just that since 1966.

The centre was set up by Henriette van Weelde, when she found a lost feline family sheltering under a tree opposite her house on Amsterdam's Herengracht canal.

Another cat was rescued and then another, until she had a problem of where to keep them. The answer, however, was in front of her nose – a home on the canal in front of her!

The first vessel, an old Dutch sailing barge, was acquired in 1968. The interior was stripped and converted into feline-friendly accommodation. The barge was bursting at the seams after just three years. So a second boat was purchased and fitted out in 1971.

Then, in 1979, a Dutch houseboat, known as an "ark" was put into use. This was specially fitted out to house cats by a shipyard, so it met all our requirements. The two boats remain moored at their original location on the Singel canal.

But the wildest and most difficult cats are now housed outside the city, at a sanctuary in Bobeldijk, near the town of Hoorn, together with a few abandoned goats and ponies.
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Thu 18 May 2017, 02:10

20 Sep 2008, 23:38

BRAZIL - land of dance, music and song, Samba, nuts, and of course CARNIVAL.
On arrival at Recife airport, what a surprise!  Greeted and treated straight off the plane to our very own Carnival.  From start to finish Brazil for me was packed with unforgettable moments. Dancing and music EVERYWHERE.  And of course the country is just football mad!  Recife, home town of the inimitable Ronaldo, kids can be seen playing football on the beach, on the rooftops - anywhere with a bit of space to kick a ball around.  Also went deep-sea fishing in an old-fashioned wooden fishing boat (in shark-infested waters! - they have special shark fishing boats - one passed us) and caught a huge fish with teeth! (forget the name, wasn't a pirhana, begins with 'c' I think - anyway had to throw it back into the sea after having the mandatory photo taken with it - so I've got the proof!)
However, the most unforgettable happening of all on that holiday, occurred on the day before we were due to return home - it was 11th September 2001 (9/11 as it's now become known).  This of course meant we could not return the next day as all airports were closed and we found ourselves stranded indefinitely until a plane could be found to take us back to England. Chaos, uncertainty and confusion the whole world over.  Communication of any kind - zilch.  We eventually got home 2 days later, an old long out-of-service Russian Aerflot plane was dug up from somewhere with a motley crew hurriedly strung together.  No welcoming meal as we had on the journey out, all that was available was bottled water and biscuits.  The journey back took 3 times longer than going, as we had to stop off at Tenerife to (hopefully) re-fuel, and then again some unknown place.  Unforgettable memories of my visit to Brazil.

- 'Girl from Ipanema'

- 'Mas Que Nada'   (Samba)
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Thu 18 May 2017, 02:12

26 Sep 2008, 23:02

ITALY  -  Ferry across to Belgium followed by 14 hour coach journey through Germany, the magnificent Austrian Alps, destination Malcesine, Lago di Garda in northern Italy -

the year that Italy were hosting the World Cup, the next day Italy playing Ireland, and a tv was set up outside in the main square down in the harbour where most of the town had planned to watch the big Match.  Me and my friend being the only two Irish people in the whole place, the news spread like wildfire that there were two Irish girls in town and we were given pride of place with two chairs placed right in front of the television.  [to be continued ...]
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Thu 18 May 2017, 02:13

28 Sep 2008, 19:27

Well, I can't continue on this thread for the moment, as it seems I've lost the sound on YouTube. When I go into a YouTube video now I have only the picture. Not sure what I've done to make this happen, someone suggested somewhere that I may have installed an upgrade on some other audio device and made that the default on my soundcard or something, and YouTube apparently doesn't like that and now gone off into a sulk (that YouTube must be a male) but it all seems very complicated to me.

So, for the time being at least, my musical memories are non-existent.  Crying or Very sad
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Thu 18 May 2017, 02:17

29 Sep 2008, 00:48

Sorted!!   Turns out I just needed to turn the volume up!   Embarassed   Thanks to Voldsy for pointing that out.    Smile   karma for you.

Moving on hastily ...

Well of course the tune in the air all over the world that year was the signature tune of the World Cup Italia '90 - the beautiful 'Nessun Dorma'  and here's the late great Pavarotti to sing it for us

Will continue on to Venice and Milan anon (it's late now, and I need my beauty sleep)

EDIT: (8th Sept)  - testing the new youtube box to embed.  Let's see if this works

No.   Crying or Very sad   didn't work.  have to keep trying
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Thu 18 May 2017, 02:18

10 Oct 2008, 00:57

INDONESIA

There can only be o
Misty
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Female

Post by Misty on Thu 18 May 2017, 02:20

10 Oct 2008, 08:47

eh?
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Thu 18 May 2017, 02:23

10 Oct 2008, 13:03

Oh, I got distracted ...  lol   at work now, so even more distracted. Indonesia musical memories, believe it or not - The Stones 'I can get no satisfaction' ! blaring out full volume on the feast of Eid at end of Ramadan, trying to drown out the awful wailing noises all through the night. Long story and many more special memories of Indonesia. To be continued .
liz
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Female

Post by liz on Thu 18 May 2017, 02:25

17 Oct 2008, 01:37

what a fabulous thread really lightened me up reading these,they must be wonderful memories for you.
lar-lar
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Female

Post by lar-lar on Thu 18 May 2017, 02:28

30 Oct 2008, 01:12

IRISH --next meet up irish pub ... Smile

or a scots pub will do  [video no longer available]
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Thu 18 May 2017, 02:31

06 Sep 2009, 23:52

Just came across this thread again. In fact, I've just been looking (and listening) through it all again and aaahhh ... brings back so many memories.. I feel I'm living through them all again.
I never did get back to continuing .. but must do so because there's sooooooooo much more.

lol, lar-lar - yes, that Irish one 'The Wild Rover' - that song you'll find all over the world, and if there's a place that I've come across where I didn't find it, then I brought it there! It came with me.  razz (I even missed out on the dolphins following a boat I was on in Greece going from one island to another - because I was downstairs in the 'driver's' cab(?) [that what you call him?] singing it on the microphone when we had an impromptu entertainment sing-song). Some days later on another island someone came up to us who had been on that boat and remembered me. I was known after that as "the Irish-Greek Rover" because until I started singing they had thought I was Greek. ha ha s'funny that, cos wherever I go I seem to blend in to the country.. In Malta they thought I was Maltese, in Egypt Egyptian, in Italy Italian ...
and in Ireland I've even been mistaken for American! Funny ol' world ...

Anyway ... To be continued ... Where shall we go to next .... um ... oh yes, we haven't done Indonesia yet ...
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Thu 18 May 2017, 02:32

08 Sep 2009, 21:17

testing the youtube embed box

[no longer availalbe]

Voldsgaard
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Male

Post by Voldsgaard on Thu 18 May 2017, 02:43

09 Sep 2009, 01:45

it shouldn't show the tags around the code - something is wrong here... strange!

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Thu 18 May 2017, 02:47

11 Sep 2009, 13:37

Voldsgaard wrote:it shouldn't show the tags around the code - something is wrong here... strange!

FIXED!    very happy

[no longer available]
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Thu 18 May 2017, 02:55

11 Sep 2009, 13:37

Voldsgaard wrote:
it shouldn't show the tags around the code - something is wrong here... strange!

All the YouTubes previously posted before the upgrade show the same now. I will have to go through all of them to rectify.

Now when you want to post a YouTube vid it's the other way around from previous.
What you have to do is copy & paste the URL of the YouTube you want to post - then highlight it in your post (or copy) and then press the 'youtube' box above... and voilá.
lar-lar
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Female

Post by lar-lar on Thu 18 May 2017, 02:57

11 Sep 2009, 18:30

This thread has reminded me to get a memory card for my digital camera.

Muncaster - not quite as exotic as your earlier travels KK,but beautiful nonetheless.
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Thu 18 May 2017, 02:59

very happy    Found this on my net travels - and being familiar at first hand with all the places mentioned in this song, I just had to slot it in here. 

Note:  The craic's still good in Cricklewood.   8)

jiffy
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Female

Post by jiffy on Thu 18 May 2017, 03:01

25 Nov 2009, 13:23

I was tapping my feet to that one  Smile
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Thu 18 May 2017, 03:08

04 Dec 2009, 22:37

FRANCE

Strangely enough, I don't seem to have any particular musical memories of France, despite having lived there for some time.  I lived in Paris - City of Light - for the first 2 months of my married life ...

- Paris

and then the beautiful city of Rouen became my home for almost a year.  
Rouen - famed for Joan of Arc, Monet, and of course the magificent Cathedral (I lived just around the corner from the cathedral - Rue de Buffon).  So many memories come flooding back when I play this video - some wonderful memories, but some too that make me sad, very sad ...

My son was almost born in Rouen (I was 7 months pregnant when we returned back to England to live)
but in the meantime, I attended some pre-natal classes locally in Rouen.  Although I spoke pretty much passable French, enough to get along with day-to-day, and my then husband was fluent in 5 languages, it was thought better to have a woman come along with me on the first day for the initial registration at the clinic, to interpret and help with the medical terms and filling in forms, etc.  So, a Polish girl who worked with my husband came along with me to interpret.  She explained to me for the examination I had to go into this cubicle and undress, leaving only my slip on. She seemed very surprised (shocked even) when I told her I wasn't wearing a slip, and that in fact I never wear one, and because of her reaction, I remember thinking it must be the 'fashionable thing' for French girls to wear a slip as a matter of course.

It was actually some years later that I learned that the French word for knickers is 'slip'.  !!!   Embarassed Embarassed

- Rouen

Whatever memories I hold of my time there, the words of this beautiful song ring true:

The exquisite voice of Edith Piaf - singing 'No Regrets'

- Edith Piaf
Misty
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Female

Post by Misty on Thu 18 May 2017, 03:11

08 Apr 2010, 19:15

I miss reading in this thread Candlelight. I so enjoy reading about your travels. You haven't posted here for an age. So where are we off to next?  razz
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Thu 18 May 2017, 03:14

30 Jul 2011, 19:27

Misty wrote:
I miss reading in this thread Candlelight. I so enjoy reading about your travels. You haven't posted here for an age. So where are we off to next? razz

I'd forgotten all about this thread Misty.  razz Loads more places with musical memory treats ... I'll have to sift through my photo albums and bring them back to life.  very happy
Misty
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Female

Post by Misty on Thu 18 May 2017, 03:16

31 Jul 2011, 14:07

Great Candlelight! I look forward to that.  very happy
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Thu 18 May 2017, 03:24

22 Jan 2015, 22:40

I came into this thread looking for the YouTube video that i knew I had posted here some years ago, which showed in some detail the horrors being committed at the notorious Guantanamo Bay camp in Cuba - only to find that the video has been removed.  Not only that one, but a whole pile of the YouTube videos in this thread are now showing just blank boxes. 

I will have to go through them at some stage when I get a bit of time and try to rectify this, filling in appropriate substitutes wherever possible.

Anyway, back to Guantanamo Bay - and the news currently gracing the headlines:
'Barack Obama renews vow to close Guantánamo Bay'
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jan/21/state-union-barack-obama-renews-pledge-close-guantanamo-bay

(something that he had promised to do as far back as 2008 !) - this is the reason I came to this thread, looking for that video as a reminder of the importance of such a promise and to bring people's attention to what goes on in that place - and has been allowed to continue for far too many years now.

OK, that video is no longer available, but a YouTube search brings up plenty more, as per this list alone:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=guantanamo+bay+torture

(I picked the original video for the song that accompanied it - as appropriate to this thread.  An Irish singer (I forget who it was now) had composed a song about the atrocities happening in that corner of the world and tried to bring it to people's attention that way.  I've never actually heard that song anywhere else - but I will now have a little look around to see if I can find it.)

Current date/time is Mon 25 Sep 2017, 01:57