Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism: Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

[solved] FreeForums downtime UPDATE

Candlelight.kk

Female

Solved [solved] FreeForums downtime UPDATE

Post by Candlelight.kk on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:26 pm

ALL FREEFORUMS ARE NOW BACK UP AND WORKING AS NORMAL - (apart from the email notifications)

As you will see from the various notifications in the SHOUTBOX, all FreeForums-hosted sites have been down for the past 2 days. This has been a universal problem affecting ALL FreeForum forums, including the Support Forum.
If you have bookmarked the link to the Shoutbox you will know this already.

This site (called Is it down right now?) http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/freeforums.org.html usually gives real-time information on whether a site is 'up' or 'down'; although at various intervals it has been saying that FreeForums are back up again, but you can see from the comments there the sort of problems that people have been experiencing worldwide. That site tells us that they're back up again - and this is the first time in the past 2 days that I've been able to get in here, but as I have said, it seems the problem has still not been resolved for ALL forums.

Although LAL seems to be back to normal today (albeit rather slow), it looks as though others are still not accessible, so this might just be a short-time thing. Support Forum is still down (at least I can't get into it), so best to keep up with progress by checking into our Shoutbox (clickable link top of this post).
Candlelight.kk

Female

Solved Re: [solved] FreeForums downtime UPDATE

Post by Candlelight.kk on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:29 pm

Light After Life seems to be back to normal now. Support Forum has just come back online.

This link gives an idea as to what has been happening with all the FreeForums sites over the last two days. (It also includes a link to check in case the forum goes down again): http://krazykats.forumotion.co.uk/t723- ... -down#5213

A reminder also of our Shoutbox link - (Strongly advisable to save this link to your Favourites, enabling members to keep in touch and keep up with progress in the event of this happening again):

This is a direct link to the Shoutbox: http://lightafterlife.shoutmix.net/
Misty
Happy poster
Happy poster

Female

Post by Misty on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:31 pm

Took a while to load but I waited and here I am! Everything is a bit slow but great to see the forum back. I missed my daily visits. If I had not seen the updates in the shout box and krazykats I would of given up trying.
Thanks for the updates Candlelight
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:33 pm

(originally posted: Thu, 15 Oct 2015, 5:04 pm)

Hi Misty.

Yes, it does seem I may have jumped the gun a bit. This forum was absolutely fine yesterday. Today I found it painfully slow waiting to get in - but once in here everything is working well. Seems other forums are reporting exactly the same thing. At least it is accessible (at the moment). A lot of other FreeForum sites are just showing blank pages when you try to call them up.

The technicians have apparently been working round the clock on this huge universal problem and as their own Support Forum was down itself in the midst of all this (back up now, but who knows for how long ) - they have now set up a temporary place on a totally different server so that people can see what's going on in the interim.

Here is the link to that temporary notification site: http://samporpass.com/index.php?topic=315.0

Reading in there, you can see that many other forums are still experiencing problems just as we are here.

We can only be patient that it gets resolved soon.

PS: (Everything is working fine for me - at this moment in time.)
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:36 pm

Seems to me the initial slowness goes away the more you post and the longer you stay logged in to the Forum.

A tip: Might be a good idea (for Members and Guests alike) to delete all the board's cookies. When not logged in to the Forum you will find the link down towards the bottom of the board, next to the 'Contact' link. It says 'Delete all the board's cookies' (or something like that). Click that and a box will come up saying are you sure you want to delete all this board's cookies? Click 'Yes'.
This action won't perform any instant miracles - but when there have been major problems such as this affecting all the forums and servers, it just ensures that you clear recent problems that might be cached and therefore repeatable.
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:37 pm

.(originally posted Fri, 16 Oct 2015, 8:35 pm )

ALL FREEFORUMS ARE NOW BACK UP AND WORKING AS NORMAL.

mac
Happy poster
Happy poster

Male
Job/hobbies : retired

Post by mac on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:39 pm

Was there an official explanation of what the problem had been?
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:40 pm

mac wrote:Was there an official explanation of what the problem had been?

Hi mac,

At time of writing this, I can find no official explanation (or suggestions even) on what might have been the cause.

Some of us who lived through a similar situation with FreeForums a few years ago are wondering if the same situation has occurred here, as turned out to be back then - i.e. a DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack. Some similarities with the previous issue are notable - but up until now this has not been mentioned anywhere in any form of explanation.
Although all the forums are now back up and working (some reportedly even better and faster now than they were before the outage) there is still one residual problem which has not yet been resolved: The FreeForums email system is currently not working. We are not able to send out mass emails (an administrative email to all members) and no notification emails are presently being sent to members (where members have requested automatic email notification of new posts and replies). My own thought on this - is that it was indeed a DDoS attack and consequently all the [thousands of] forums need to be thoroughly investigated in order to eliminate any possible threat of anything spreading - by way of email. Either that, or the attack itself has rendered the emails inactive. The technical team are apparently aware of the email issue and are currently working on it.
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:42 pm

(originally posted Sat, 17 Oct 2015, 7:55 pm)

I went to post this information message at 9:30 this morning - only to find that all FreeForums were down again! - only showing white pages.

It is now 11:15. All the forums came back up about 5 minutes ago, so at this moment in time they are OK.

Here is the explanatory message concerning all the recent issues (best get it posted quickly in case we're off again!)
________________________________________________________________________________________________

This explanatory message was posted yesterday from FreeForums Support Team:

Hello everyone,

In here we'll give you updates on everything that were issues the last few days.

An overloaded Power Distribution Unit (PDU) resulted in a power interruption during a routine maintenance. The databases going offline caused data corruption. While most servers were brought back up very quickly, the ongoing repairs are/were responsible for issues such as server lags and slowness.

White Pages
This was due to unscheduled power interruption and database repairs.
If you're still having problems, please make a post in the General Support forum.

Slow loading forums
Once again due to unscheduled database maintenance.
If you're still having problems, please make a post in the General Support forum.

E-mail not being sent
Caused by the database repairs, unfortunately no e-mails were sent. So make sure to check for Inactive Users in your Administration Control Panel (ACP)!

Posts not showing up
Due to the database repairs scripts (the scripts fixing everything) there are several server lags, this might result in post not showing up.

Let's hope this is the end of it now.

PS: Regarding point 3 - where they advise to check for any Inactive Users (in the event that there are any new registrations on the forum during the period of disruption - the emails weren't working and so admin would not have been notified of a new user and consequently their account would not have been activated.) I did check - and yes, I found a new member 'normy' not yet activated.

Apologies to normy - your account has now been activated and you are very welcome to the Forum!
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:44 pm

(originally posted Thu, 22 Oct 2015, 5:16 pm)

All Freeforums were down again since early morning today. Only just came back up at around 5:00pm. They all seem to be working now.
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:48 pm

(originally posted Fri, 23 Oct 2015, 1:26 pm)

All FreeForums were down again from about 7:30 this morning.

Back up again as of circa 1:00 pm today.

Still working OK ..... so far .....
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:49 pm

(originally posted Tue, 27 Oct 2015, 10:26 pm)

Well, it seems while I was out today there has been another all-forums outage across the boards of FFS! Messages in the Shoutbox, which were posted from 5:48 confirms when this happened.

I found this message posted by the person who set up the excellent temporary help forum while the support forum was down in the midst of all the problems last week. (This message is in reply to the multitude of angry admins demanding to be given some sort of explanation as to how and why such disorder came about in the last couple of weeks):

chrisw has posted:
Hi everyone,

I am really sorry for the late reaction. I was at dinner and just signed on to find a good number of reports. Trust me if I tell you that I'm just as annoyed by the outages as all of you are.

Now, what's happening and why do we keep going down... you deserve an explanation.

As you know, we had a total outage of all our networks a couple weeks ago. This, in fact, caused a lot of damage. The outage was caused by a PDU overload during a routine maintenance. It was a PDU the board servers were connected to, so the outage caused data corruption. The following week was a bit of misery, because scripts were running on all servers, causing constant lags and white pages. These were in fact not caused by any issues, they were caused by the repair scripts running, which is taxing on the servers.

We had a second PDU overload earlier this week, this was a different one and thankfully, did not affect the actual board servers. In spite of an outage that lasted several hours, no repair scripts had to be run but the outage was frustrating to many, nonetheless.

On top of it all, we also experienced repeated issues with one of the cache servers, including the issue that caused the downtime this evening.

What to expect for the future:

Work is being done in the background to avoid situations such as this one. This work includes, but is not limited to, moving boards between servers to balance the loads. Last week, many boards were moved off C14. In the coming week, boards will be moved off C4. Once the servers are more balanced and the cache servers have had some maintenance, we will be in better shape.

I understand that there is worry, and I know that the boards mean a lot to you all. I also know that we've gone through quite a stretch of bad server performance here, and that some things still need to be done before we're completely out of the woods. Please rest assured that out first concern is to make the network stable again so that we can put these outages behind us.

I am truly sorry for these outages. Please hang in there.
Misty
Happy poster
Happy poster

Female

Post by Misty on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:52 pm

(Originally posted Sat, 31 Oct 2015, 9:45 pm)

Still not right KK. I am not receiving any notification emails about new posts made here. Up until a few days ago I did but now there is nothing.
Didn't notice this until I had a look in the forum yesterday and saw there were some new posts which I not been notified of. I have checked my profile and yes I have asked for notifications by email. If I didn't check in here I wouldn't know about the new posts.
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:54 pm

(originally posted Sat, 31 Oct 2015, 10:20 pm)

Misty wrote:Still not right KK. I am not receiving any notification emails about new posts made here. Up until a few days ago I did but now there is nothing.
Didn't notice this until I had a look in the forum yesterday and saw there were some new posts which I not been notified of. I have checked my profile and yes I have asked for notifications by email. If I didn't check in here I wouldn't know about the new posts.

Well, I received notification about this post! I was going to reply to you, suggesting that it might be your computer causing the problem - but had a check in with Support first. There I find that others are reporting the same problem as you, but it doesn't seem to be affecting everyone.

Here are the two most recent posts made on the subject - posted today. Looks as though it's all dependant on what email provider you use.
What a flamin' circus! Will it ever end?

Re: no activation emails, general emails or pm notification
Hi, still have same issues with emails, only myself and anyone on gmail are receiving emails despite me doing everything you asked me to above. I have pm's in my out box as they don't know they have one until they visit the forum. I am losing people with this, please try and help with this issue, it was all fine before the crash everyone got email notifications whichever email server they were on.

Post Re: no activation emails, general emails or pm notification
Back again!! lots of members reporting they still haven't received email notification, some saying they never lost it !! and the ones who are getting emails from my gmail get a warning that it may not be from me, now they are worried to do anything.

At least you know it's not just you. I know that's no consolation - and I'm not even going to say have patience ..... because I am fast running out of patience myself with FreeForums. I know of some forum admins who have had enough of the whole shebang - some considering closing down altogether, or at least moving to different, more reliable hosts.

If/when you do start to get email notifications again, Misty - please let us know here.
(Also - if this is affecting anyone else reading this, do please come and report it here.)
Candlelight.kk

Female

Solved (Email notifications)

Post by Candlelight.kk on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 10:57 pm

(Originally posted Sun, 01 Nov 2015, 2:59 pm)

At least we know the reason now (for the recent problem on FreeForums sites - Re: no activation emails, general emails or pm notification )

Since the recent outages disruption across the [FreeForum] boards, it seems that some email providers are now a bit wary and some of them (but not all) may have put a 'possible spam' block on the FreeForums links, as a security measure. Nice to know that those [email] providers are doing their job with regard to security and protection - but it seems FreeForums now have to prove to them that all the recent problems have been fixed and they can be regarded as safe - which they are now, but they've obviously got to make a huge effort now to get back to how they were before.

This explanation (on behalf of FreeForums) has been given on the Support forum, in reply to the recent complaints about emails (or current lack of):

The problem is that we're considered spammers (in a way), and we are in the process of re-establishing us as the honest people that we are Smile
Unfortunately, this doesn't happen overnight, but it is being worked on.

Yep ... and when they've done that they will need to contend with quite a lot of disgrunted forum owners who have lost members since the disruptions started. I think it's going to take a lot of 'working on' by FFS to regain the trust of many of their forum admins - and members, forum users and guests also, some of whom rely on the forums as an essential lifeline.

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 10:18 am