Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism: Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

Indoor gardeners

Stardust
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Indoor gardeners

Post by Stardust on Mon 15 May 2017, 19:37

25 Oct 2016, 08:59

Regrowing plants from kitchen scraps (article from HuffPost):
https://www.homemadebyyou.co.uk/articles/fun-stuff/8-foods-you-can-magically-regrow-from-kitchen-scraps?source=GravityEOP

Avocado, Basil, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Pineapple, Spring onions, can be regrown indoors, whereas onions and potatoes will need a garden.

We used to do this with avocado and it did sprout though we didn’t wait out the 12 years. I’ll have to try with basil next time.

This is fun if you have children, they'll enjoy doing this.

Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Re: Indoor gardeners

Post by Stardust on Mon 15 May 2017, 19:38

28 Oct 2016, 10:47

Garlic is a wonder when it comes to good health.

If you don't like the smell it leaves on your breath, remove the central piece inside before use.

To get all the nutriments from the garlic, you need to crush the clove first before peeling and removing the centre.

It's also gorgeous roasted whole and un-peeled (or fried in a pan) with potatoes.

If you need something with a milder taste, plant several cloves about 2 centimetres down in a flower pot filled with soil, with the top of the cloves pointing upwards. After 2 or 3 weeks you can cut the sprouted green tops to use in sandwiches or dishes instead of the garlic clove itself.

mac
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Male
Job/hobbies : retired

Post by mac on Mon 15 May 2017, 19:40

28 Oct 2016, 18:59

If only....

I'm well aware of the claimed benefits for garlic but even tiny amounts gripe my gut and my bowel so badly that it's almost an allergic reaction. Much commercially prepared foodstuff contains garlic and my wife and I are forever checking ingredients. Sometimes we can tolerate food that's been prepared with just a little but the amount seems not to need to be disclosed here in the UK or elsewhere such as in the USA so it's always a gamble for both of us when we try something new.

Those who aren't sensitive to it probably have no idea what I'm talking about.
Stardust
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Mon 15 May 2017, 19:42

28 Oct 2016, 21:42

You're right, mac, I've never heard of anyone being allergic to garlic before, and here there are two of you having to do without all its benefits to health. Poor you.

I'm surprised that in GB "much commercially prepared foodstuff contains garlic" as I wouldn't have thought it was that popular in Britain. Just shows I've lost touch.

I sympathize with your remark re screening ingredients because I do that too as a vegetarian. It's amazing how many things like 'vegetable' soups and even canned 'vegetables' contain animal ingredients such as chicken or other animal fats (!) I use fresh but like to have some tins and ready-made soups in case we get home late and don't feel like preparing a meal from scratch. It's now necessary to check everything and so often the ingredients are written in such small print that I have to carry a magnifying glass around with me. Checking in addition for palm oil, and too much salt/sugar, etc, also means that a great many products are left on the shelf and choice is very limited.

Oh how I agree with you re the lack of % or weight dosage of each ingredient. They are listed in decreasing order but that means nothing. It's about time there was a law to make it obligatory for the food industry to indicate exact amounts per ingredient, you're absolutely right.

Current date/time is Sun 19 Nov 2017, 12:32