Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism: Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

Laughing at oneself (egos in the bin)

Stardust
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Laughing at oneself (egos in the bin)

Post by Stardust on Sun 14 May 2017, 00:24

22 Feb 2008, 09:15

The word 'ego' rears its ugly head from time to time on the various forums, hissing at us like an angry snake. It got me thinking... Strutting around, puffing up one's ego, boasting, lying to make oneself seem more important to others ... we all know people like this and we hope our own selves are never struck by this ghastly 'disease'. Egos are so wearing, especially on the victims surrounding the egotist. How refreshing to learn to just be oneself with ourselves and others, even if it means being thought excentric, frivolous, weird, whatever ... Let's laugh at ourselves at least once a day, our hearts will be lighter for it and our days filled with more fun and joy.

Natural Therapy by R. Gregory

The great thing about the tall white daisy
is that it knows how to laugh at itself.
Some flowers for all their rich displays
won't preen themselves without a primness
in their sap - nor let their stalks abide
bending this way, that way, in the thick wind.
The large daisy is happy to be slapdash,
is not snooty about the company it keeps;
It does have a flair for being noticed -
it's the way it lets its petals out (ragged
and not wanting everyone the same)
that appeals to nervous garden sufferers
(weary with pretending flowers 'per se' are
god's gift to the dull earth and somehow
the human race is privileged to be there)
the daisy knows everything there is to know
about not taking yourself too seriously - about
relaxation and how to be naturally yogic,
how to be part of the rough common stock
yet have a whiff of the immortal about you.
A patch of such daisies growing artlessly
contains the dreams of all good health.
very happy very happy

Female

Re: Laughing at oneself (egos in the bin)

Post by Candlelight.kk on Sun 14 May 2017, 00:25

22 Feb 2008, 09:44

I like it.

And I've learned a new word today too - yogic.
Stardust
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Sun 14 May 2017, 00:27

21 Aug 2008, 09:16

Sometimes people can go overboard. On another forum one of the members refuses to use either "I", "me", "my", etc... and gently berates others who do so.
This seems to me like quashing free spirit and trampling individual opinion into the ground, which I think is wrong.
There's a difference between being proud of one's achievements and boasting about oneself when the merit is not there, a difference between speaking out to express an honest opinion and talking nonsense just for the sake of getting noticed.

Sometimes we feel the need to stand for a principle dear to our heart but which may fly in the face of the majority - so should we keep it to ourselves and deny our own convictions? No, I don't think so. Flying the banner of truth which we believe in does not make us egotists seeking for attention with the single aim of obtaining it for our own self and boosting our ego.

Using "I", "me", etc when putting forward a view most often just means that the speaker/writer is clearly indicating that the opinions put forward are his/her own and engage nobody else's responsibility. So in case of conflict, it is understood that the person assumes fully the ideas expressed by him/herself.

There are enough puffed-up persons, full of themselves, who see all and everything only as a reflection of themselves or how it affects them personally. I don't think we need add those who bravely seek to put forward an opinion that does not meet with the approval of the highest number.

There's not a massive ego lurking round every corner ready to pounce, as some apparently would have us believe.

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Sun 14 May 2017, 00:28

21 Aug 2008, 09:52

Conversation with that person must be a bit stilted.  confused

So, what do they say then - one / it / thing ????  lol lol
Stardust
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Sun 14 May 2017, 00:30

21 Aug 2008, 10:32

I'll have to go back and look. I think it's impossible to never use I or me... I remember an occasional apology when it was the case that it couldn't be got round by the person in question.  lol He/she needs to get a life, don't you think? Does not the very fact of making such a fuss about it have the effect of pumping up that person's own ego and thus defeating their purpose?

The beginning of a post is so important isn't it - if it's boring I know I skip it as not being worth the time to read - which is what I ended up doing with posts that started off berating egos - sweep in front of your own door is what I say and let others be.

With all the horrendous goings-on in the world, what's a weeny ego here and there? As long as we're not talking tyranny/despotism. For some sad people their life wouldn't be worth much without their daily ego boost, so as long as it harms nobody...

Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Sun 14 May 2017, 00:31

21 Aug 2008, 10:42

Getting back to laughing at oneself, I tripped myself up walking along a busy pavement the other day. Somehow caught one foot behind the other, don't ask me how, and nearly fell flat.  lol People looked askance (I think they thought I'd had one too many) and when I laughed at myself they looked at one another and backed away, which made me chuckle even more and them look even more worried. Escalating hilarity on my part and disapproval on theirs.  lol Life can be such fun!  lol

Home away from home
Home away from home

Female

Post by lynneandjohn on Sun 14 May 2017, 00:33

21 Aug 2008, 22:12

recently i rang for a taxi and another later that morning. the lady on the phone asked me if i could do her a favour. go on i said. when the driver gets to your house could you just laugh for no reason. why i asked. well he has been saying that everyone he has picked up this morning has been strange and we just want to wind him up so if you could just laugh at him hysterically it would be fun.the taxi was for my sis so when he came i just stood on the drive laughing at him like a looney. he looked at me with a worried and freaked out expression. i rang back the lady at the taxi to tell her mission completed and also to tell her that he was the same driver that had picked me up earlier that day so i must of been one of them strange customers anyway!  Rolling Eyes . we laughed so much over the phone,she was coughing in the end. egos get in the way of a good old laugh at times. i must of looked so stark raving mad but who cares it made me giggle  Wink
Stardust
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Sun 14 May 2017, 00:35

22 Aug 2008, 08:41

Golly, lynneandjohn, that poor driver. I hope they explained it all to him at the end of the day.
Well, your story started my day off with a chuckle anyway.

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Sun 14 May 2017, 00:37

22 Aug 2008, 09:18

That taxi office sounds like a fun place to work.
lar-lar
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Female

Post by lar-lar on Sun 14 May 2017, 00:38

23 Aug 2008, 00:29

lol  Very funny lynne,good for you for doing it.
On the meet[come lynne come!] i will be bringing something with me so all can laugh at my expense.You will never guess what it is in a million years,but will be worth the wait. 8)
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Sun 14 May 2017, 00:40

23 Aug 2008, 00:32

Hope it's not a spider.  Shocked
Stardust
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Sun 14 May 2017, 00:41

23 Aug 2008, 09:33

A pelvic floor exerciser?
A monkey suit? very happy very happy

Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Sun 14 May 2017, 00:43

29 Jul 2011, 12:39

lar-lar wrote:
On the meet I will be bringing something with me so all can laugh at my expense.You will never guess what it is in a million years,but will be worth the wait.

Nobody ever told us what it was.  scratch head lar-lar, do you remember?

Has anyone ever tried holding a conversation without ever saying I, me, myself, or my ? It's extremely difficult.

Current date/time is Sun 24 Sep 2017, 11:29