Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism: Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

Forum Avatars - Big Booboo!!

Candlelight.kk

Female

Thumbdown Forum Avatars - Big Booboo!!

Post by Candlelight.kk on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 12:03 pm

I can't believe what's just happened ...

I tried to create a default avatar which would automatically be alloted to members on the forum on joining - and those who had not already created an avatar of their own would automatically get that one - unless they opted to create one of their own.

It worked, yes - BUT ... it ended up with every single member getting that avatar - so I deleted it - but now EVERY SINGLE REGISTERED USER's avatar has been deleted!

I am so sorry! Those of you who are still here can I hope retrieve the avatars that you had from your User Control Panel - I'm hoping that they will still be there for you to just tick them back - or maybe create another one if you choose - we have a selection of avatars in the forum galleries that you can choose from either, but hopefully you can get your own back.

Misty
Happy poster
Happy poster

Female

Thumbdown Re: Forum Avatars - Big Booboo!!

Post by Misty on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 12:04 pm

My old avatar is gone from my profile Candlelight. I've made a new one from the gallery, and it worked!
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 12:05 pm

Thanks for checking and replying, Misty. I imagine everyone else must be in the same boat then, and everyone will have to start from scratch.

Lesson for the day: Sometimes it's best just to leave well enough alone.

Misty
Happy poster
Happy poster

Female

Post by Misty on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 12:52 pm

No problem Candlelight. It was probably time for a change anyway.
evergreen
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Male

Post by evergreen on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 12:55 pm

Got mine back.

mac
Happy poster
Happy poster

Male
Job/hobbies : retired

Post by mac on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 12:57 pm

From my perspective I hope you won't be concerned if you can't set a default avatar, KK.

Over the several websites where I'm a regular not only do I never use an avatar but I also block every other and any other kind of image or decoration. All I'm interested in is reading what folk say.

Pictures, icons and avatars have absoutely no significance or interest for me.
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 12:58 pm

mac wrote:From my perspective I hope you won't be concerned if you can't set a default avatar, KK.

I'm not really concerned about the loss of the default avatar experiment, mac - what has peeved is that all those members who set their own personal avatars have now lost them! That's where my apologies are offered - and hope they are accepted!

mac wrote:Over the several websites where I'm a regular not only do I never use an avatar but I also block every other and any other kind of image or decoration. All I'm interested in is reading what folk say.

So, does that mean that you block out and cannot see the avatar in a person's profile?

The benefit of having avatars on a forum, means that you can easily see who has made a post and where else that person has posted - it stands out from the rest, and also separates the posts in a thread, making them easier to read.
It may well be a psychological thing, (or even just laziness on the part of some readers) but posts do tend to hold more attention and clout if they have a recognised image that can instantly be attributed to a specific member.

Not so much on this little forum, but on the larger forums, there have been instances where people have got mixed up with "who said what"
and such situations have been known to create various 'problems'.

I certainly find it easier to negotiate a thread where it is instantly recognisable who has said what in the thread.
(Remember the comment you made in some other post about "vari-focal" or "multi-focal" glasses? I have the same problem (well ... it's not a 'problem' as such, but these little things do tend to make life a lot easier. )
Misty
Happy poster
Happy poster

Female

Post by Misty on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 1:00 pm

Candlelight.kk wrote:The benefit of having avatars on a forum, means that you can easily see who has made a post and where else that person has posted - it stands out from the rest, and also separates the posts in a thread, making them easier to read.
It may well be a psychological thing, (or even just laziness on the part of some readers) but posts do tend to hold more attention and clout if they have a recognised image that can instantly be attributed to a specific member.

I agree.

mac
Happy poster
Happy poster

Male
Job/hobbies : retired

Post by mac on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 1:01 pm

Candlelight.kk wrote:
mac wrote:From my perspective I hope you won't be concerned if you can't set a default avatar, KK.

I'm not really concerned about the loss of the default avatar experiment, mac - what has peeved is that all those members who set their own personal avatars have now lost them! That's where my apologies are offered - and hope they are accepted!

mac wrote:Over the several websites where I'm a regular not only do I never use an avatar but I also block every other and any other kind of image or decoration. All I'm interested in is reading what folk say.

So, does that mean that you block out and cannot see the avatar in a person's profile?

The benefit of having avatars on a forum, means that you can easily see who has made a post and where else that person has posted - it stands out from the rest, and also separates the posts in a thread, making them easier to read.

Not so much on this little forum, but on the larger forums, there have been instances where people have got mixed up with "who said what"
and such situations have been known to create various 'problems'.

I certainly find it easier to negotiate a thread where it is instantly recognisable who has said what in the thread.
(Remember the comment you made in some other post about "vari-focal" or "multi-focal" glasses? I have the same problem (well ... it's not a 'problem' as such, but these little things do tend to make life a lot easier. )

I did realise why it had annoyed you. I just wanted to let you know it didn't matter for me....

Yes after I've blocked an avatar all I see is someone's name - the only picture I've not blocked is yours, KK, as the candle is rather nice! As I read all postings it doesn't really matter to me to see in advance who's written one. I suppose there's a slim possibility I might need to look back for one person specifically in an old thread but that rarely happens and I'd still have to look for a picture rather than the text and for me text works and pictures don't. We all have our preference I suppose.

It's how I've always been, I guess, and it was only on a teacher-training course, where we analysed how kids learn and we considered the need to present material in various ways, that it became obvious what kind of learner I am myself.

On a busy website it is, of course, possible to get muddled over who said what but I try to use the 'Quote' button when I'm responding. When other don't, though, it can indeed cause 'problems' with folk grumbling at someone else who hadn't posted the material in the first place. Simple forum discipline avoids that.
Stardust
VIP member
VIP member

Female

Post by Stardust on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 1:02 pm

Best laugh I had all day, Candlelight.

I prefer avatars too because, as you mention, it's quicker to see who wrote what.

I'm still giggling...

Not sure I'll be able to replace my avatar since I had problems with Photobucket and avoid using it now.
Never mind though, I can use one from your choice, no hassle.

A gentle whisper like the breeze sighing, so easy to miss, listen carefully...
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 1:03 pm

Stardust wrote:Never mind though, I can use one from your choice, no hassle.

That's good, Stardust. And ... Phew! .... Just as well I did start up our own avatars galleries, or we'd really be right in the messy stuff now! Talk about good timing, eh? I have since added a few more images to the three in-house galleries - and will keep adding more from time to time, so there should be quite a cross-section of choice for all.
(I was going to create a new one called "Spiritual" and another entitled "Nature", but I think it's probably better to just stick with the 3 existing categories now, and any avatars that come under those headings will just be placed in the 'Miscellaneous' category.
Stardust
VIP member
VIP member

Female

Post by Stardust on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 1:05 pm

It's a great idea to have your own forum selection of avatars, Candlelight, much easier for members, but I expect some hard work for you to upload them all.

I chose an avatar from your selection, only to see that Misty was already using that one.

Managed to upload my original avatar though and put it back here, so that's sorted now.

Misty
Happy poster
Happy poster

Female

Post by Misty on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

Sorry Stardust. We have the same great taste. I am happy to see you got your old unique avatar back though, kind of comforting to see in a funny kind of way, the familiarity maybe? And it is so YOU. As well as great to see you back posting here. if I haven't already said.
Stardust
VIP member
VIP member

Female

Post by Stardust on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 1:11 pm

Misty, your avatar is kind of mysterious (or more aptly Mistyrious) looking through the window the mind goes floating off into the big wide blue yonder. Very fitting for this little haven of a forum.

Feather
VIP member
VIP member

Female

Post by Feather on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 1:12 pm

Hi, everybody. I'm back with my new avatar.

Banish the darkness of ignorance. Encourage the light of knowledge.
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 1:13 pm

Feather wrote:Hi, everybody. I'm back with my new avatar.

Hi Feather. Nice avatar.
Feather
VIP member
VIP member

Female

Post by Feather on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 1:15 pm

I must have a good look round here before I post properly. There must be a lot I've missed.

Banish the darkness of ignorance. Encourage the light of knowledge.

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 10:16 am