Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism: Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

Ego's tricks

Candlelight.kk

Female

Ego's tricks

Post by Candlelight.kk on Wed 10 May 2017, 00:34

28 May 2008

Ego's tricks

"One of the great dangers of transformational work is that the ego attempts to sidestep deep psychological work by leaping into the transcendent too soon. This is because the ego always fancies itself much more ‘advanced’ than it actually is."

-- Don Richard Riso and Russ Hudson

The Tibetan teacher, Chogyam Trungpa, warned of the trap of spiritual materialism. He says we must be ever diligent to spot the ego’s use of the spiritual journey to further its own ends.

We may think it’s spiritual to yearn for divine connection. And yet, if the longing is to fill an emptiness inside, just how does this differ from the one who yearns for money or possessions to fill the inner void? Do we look to our spiritual practices as proof of our evolved consciousness or as protection against fears?

Any time we use spiritual disciplines to maintain our identity and security, we are not yet on the path of genuine spiritual development.

"Enlightenment is ego’s ultimate disappointment."

-- Chögyam Trungpa
Feather
VIP Member
VIP Member

Female

Re: Ego's tricks

Post by Feather on Wed 10 May 2017, 00:36

28 May 2008

The thought for today certainly struck a chord with me. I've always wondered if church-going peeps are merely chalking up brownie points for
themselves but, after reading what you quoted, Candlelight, I am in no doubt that I, a non-church-goer, am just as guilty as regards spirit. I'm ashamed
that a lot of my involvement is the result of my own grief, loneliness and fear. That is selfishness not true spirituality at all. I feel spiritual inside but
the way I live my life leaves a lot to be desired. I'm looking for peace of mind for myself instead of doing all that I can to help others in need. I do try to
help my friends, especially the ones whose husbands have passed but I do not do any public work in the community or help with any charity etc. I can't seem to face that sort of thing. I would feel too exposed. I don't like to be in the limelight. I'm happiest in my own home and being on the forums has
made me feel that more and more.It feels right for me but how can it be when it is obviously selfish?

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Wed 10 May 2017, 00:37

28 May 2008

If something feels right for you, Feather, then you should be taking comfort from that. I don't believe it selfish to feel the desire to be at one with oneself. Everyone is striving for that inner peace within themselves, just travelling different roads to achieve it. Some of the roads are straight and narrow, some are rocky, but they all lead to the same destination, eventually. How boring life would be if we all travelled the same safe road.
Feather
VIP Member
VIP Member

Female

Post by Feather on Wed 10 May 2017, 00:38

29 May 2008

Thank you for that,Candlelight. I suppose if we don't look after our own well-being, we won't be able to look after other folks'. It looks as if it's one more example of that "right balance" thingy---a happy medium!!!! xxx.

Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Female

Post by Stardust on Wed 10 May 2017, 00:40

10 Nov 2016

Sadly I find it's rare to share the spiritual road with the same person(s) for any length of time. We each have our own path and sometimes we're privileged to share with a companion for a short while, then we're on our own again, that's the way it is. It's as ineluctable as birth and death. It can be lonely but it's something we all know, so when paths meet and continue together for a portion and we have company by our side, we should mutually try to glean new insights from the other until the road divides and separates us again, because these are meaningful encounters from which we have something to learn.

Current date/time is Tue 17 Oct 2017, 17:38