Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism: Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

Victims of the Burmese Cyclone

Candlelight.kk

Female

Victims of the Burmese Cyclone

Post by Candlelight.kk on Fri 05 May 2017, 18:39

(originally posted on 11 May 2008)

Prayers will be said across the UK for the thousands of people displaced in the Burmese cyclone crisis, as aid agencies face a desperate bid to get supplies and volunteers to the survivors.

More than a week after Cyclone Nargis brought death and destruction to the secretive south-east Asian country, the Burmese authorities are facing mounting pressure to allow aid to be brought in.

More than 100,000 people are estimated to have been killed and a further 1.5 million displaced by the massive storm which struck on May 3.

Hundreds of bloated corpses have been seen floating down the country's waterways and there is an increasing threat of outbreaks of disease.

Aid agencies warned they are involved in a race against time to help prevent a humanitarian disaster.

Politicians, senior aid officials and members of the clergy joined together to condemn the military junta for dragging their feet while people across the country suffered in the aftermath of the cyclone.

It inflicted massive damage on Burma's infrastructure, leaving vast swathes of the country totally cut off.

Aid has slowly started to trickle in, but humanitarian groups said it is not reaching the hundreds of thousands of people affected by the disaster quickly enough.

A United Nations road convoy crossed into Burma on Saturday and three Red Cross planes have arrived, with others due in the next few days.
Candlelight.kk

Female

Re: Victims of the Burmese Cyclone

Post by Candlelight.kk on Fri 05 May 2017, 18:45

Latest news in pictures

[link no longer available]
lynneandjohn
Home away from home
Home away from home

Female

Post by lynneandjohn on Fri 05 May 2017, 18:46

it's hard to comprehend how on one side of the world this is happening when we are thinking of everday stuff, like what shoes shall i wear or hope it's sunny today. i have tried to send out thoughts of healing to these people and to those that have passed,each time you feel such anguish and helplessness for them. i must admit for years now i tend to avoid the media. i don't buy newspapers anymore or watch the news on tv. cop out i know but the suffering you see is heartbreaking. i get very emotionally drawn to their
pain and find that i inturn become depressed. i feel useless knowing there is very little i can do apart from making donations, but by not watching too much on these disasters and awful events i can feel that bit more stronger to send loving and healing thoughts that i don't think i would be able to if i watched and read in detail everything. i hope my energy is of more use so to speak than if it was if i became saw too much. just to imagine their plight is enough to feel their pain. i pray i am of some use this way. luv lynne
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Fri 05 May 2017, 18:48

These pictures are truly heartbreaking to watch and even worse to hear the inferrence that emergency aid, food and medical supplies are being 'deliberately' hindered in reaching those that they are intended for - due to 'political' reasons. It definitely makes you sit up and think. We have so much for which we should be thankful and never, ever take anything for granted and always keep in mind that although we may not see it, suffering, pain and loss of this kind is happening all over the world.
Misty
Happy poster
Happy poster

Female

Post by Misty on Fri 05 May 2017, 18:50

and the situation does not seem to be easing at all. Here's the latest -

Burmese children: Starvation fears

Thousands of young children in Burma will die from hunger within weeks unless food reaches them soon, a British charity has warned.

Save the Children estimates that 30,000 infants under the age of five in the Irrawaddy Delta were already "acutely malnourished" before the cyclone hit on May 2.

The aid agency believes some children in the stricken areas of Burma may now be dying from lack of food.

Burmese authorities put the death toll from the cyclone at 78,000 with a further 56,000 people missing.

But the country's military government has severely restricted distribution of aid supplies, leaving many of the disaster's estimated 2.5 million survivors in dire need of food, water and shelter.

Jasmine Whitbread, Save the Children UK's chief executive, said: "We are extremely worried that many children in the affected areas are now suffering from severe acute malnourishment, the most serious level of hunger. When people reach this stage they can die in a matter of days.

"Children may already be dying as a result of a lack of food. They urgently need nutrient- and energy-rich food, and food containing all the elements of a balanced diet.

"Save the Children is working flat out to deliver the aid they need and we have already reached over 140,000 people. We need to reach more before it is too late."

The charity also warned that people in Burma could remain dependent on outside help until October 2009.

The disaster has prevented many farmers in the Irrawaddy Delta - the country's rice bowl - from sowing seeds in time for the monsoon harvest.

Current date/time is Fri 18 Aug 2017, 06:09