Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of our existence: Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism ~ Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

4 posters

readings - what are they about?

mac
    mac

readings - what are they about? Empty readings - what are they about?

Post by mac Sat 29 Apr 2017 - 1:12

(originally posted on 25 Sep 2014)

On certain websites readings are sometimes offered to, or requested by, members. If you've had a reading at any time perhaps you'd share your thoughts on the following points?

When you made your request for a reading, were you looking for something particular? Did the reading provide it?

Were you given any help over what the reading contained, how it could be used or should be interpreted?

Do you know what kind of reading it was? Was that explained to you before or after the reading was given?

Do you have any other thoughts you'd like to share?
    ariel
    ariel

readings - what are they about? Empty Re: readings - what are they about?

Post by ariel Sat 29 Apr 2017 - 1:13

Which websites would they be, mac? Do you mean websites which give readings to members by other members there? I am not aware of any such sites.

Or are you talking about websites with regular "psychic" members who charge for readings online? I have seen plenty of them but never had a reading in that way, and wouldn't want to either.
    mac wrote:
    On certain websites readings are sometimes offered to, or requested by, members. If you've had a reading at any time perhaps you'd share your thoughts on the following points?

When you made your request for a reading, were you looking for something particular? Did the reading provide it?

Were you given any help over what the reading contained, how it could be used or should be interpreted?

Do you know what kind of reading it was? Was that explained to you before or after the reading was given?

mac
    mac

Post by mac Sat 29 Apr 2017 - 1:15

ariel wrote:Which websites would they be, mac?  Do you mean websites which give readings to members by other members there?  I am not aware of any such sites. 

Or are you talking about websites with regular "psychic" members who charge for readings online?  I have seen plenty of them but never had a reading in that way, and wouldn't want to either. 
    mac wrote:On certain websites readings are sometimes offered to, or requested by, members.   If you've had a reading at any time perhaps you'd share your thoughts on the following points?

Yes just regular, so-called spiritual websites, readings given without payment.  I should have added, though, that I'd  also be interested in experiences from any other way - even paid for ones.
    Misty
    Misty

Post by Misty Sat 29 Apr 2017 - 1:17

I haven't had any readings done in this way, so can't really answer your questions mac, but from the reports I have read of people who have done they have been quite vague with people taking this vague information and making it fit. Those readings have all been done lightly though and in a friendly tone, usually by a regular member practising as part of their "development". Not to be taken too seriously imo.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sat 29 Apr 2017 - 1:18

The key element I'm looking for is just what they're supposed to provide - entertainment, guidance or what?
    ariel
    ariel

Post by ariel Sat 29 Apr 2017 - 1:19

mac wrote:The key element I'm looking for is just what they're supposed to provide - entertainment, guidance or what?

Ideally, we would need to see some examples. Can you link to any?
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Sat 29 Apr 2017 - 1:22

mac wrote:
    ariel wrote:
    mac wrote:
    The key element I'm looking for is just what they're supposed to provide - entertainment, guidance or what?

Ideally, we would need to see some examples. Can you link to any?

That's not what I was asking for, though and no I can't link to any. I asked/hoped to hear from those who had received so-called readings from whomever to learn from their experiences, to see what their reactions were etc. I wasn't looking for anyone to disclose what they received....

I've not contributed to this topic so far because, like Ariel, I don't know of any sites where readings are offered to members. The Psychic Barber site used to have some members who would give readings to other members through Skype. There was also one other site that did the same, but that site no longer exists. I didn't have access to Skype at the time - otherwise, I may well have been interested in seeing what such a reading would consist of.

Ariel has mentioned about seeing some examples ... I imagine what they meant there was examples of some websites that offer these readings, not the readings themselves.
    mac wrote:
    On certain websites readings are sometimes offered to, or requested by, members.

Is that what you meant, Ariel? If that is the case, would mac be able to give the name and/or the link to one of those sites?
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sat 29 Apr 2017 - 1:24

Oh I see what might have been meant.... The subject of this thread is now wandering to websites themselves and for me they are of no importance. I just wanted to learn, from anyone experienced and willing to share, what they experienced from a reading on one and/or just as interestingly from any other source. I said 'website' because we're online and I thought that might have been more relevant.

I have, incidentally, run similar threads on other websites without a single response thus far. Maybe folk are reluctant to share?
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Sat 29 Apr 2017 - 1:26

mac wrote:
    Oh I see what might have been meant.... The subject of this thread is now wandering to websites themselves and for me they are of no importance. I just wanted to learn, from anyone experienced and willing to share, what they experienced from a reading on one and/or just as interestingly from any other source.

Aah, well that broadens the spectrum somewhat. It can be a reading (or message?) from any number of sources:
    e.g.

• a one-to-one reading with a medium (or psychic);
    • a message received through a medium demonstrating clairvoyance on platform
    • you being a member of the audience;
    • a message received while sitting in an "open circle" through the medium heading the circle, or another sitter in the circle;
    • a personal message received while sitting in a closed circle/séance;
    • a reading given on the telephone, with a medium/psychic;
    • a seaside "fortune-teller".

Plenty to choose from there.

mac wrote:
    I have, incidentally, run similar threads on other websites without a single response thus far. Maybe folk are reluctant to share?

Maybe it's the way ya tell 'em, mac. [Only admins are allowed to see this image] (It really wasn't too clear, as to what you were actually looking for ...)
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sat 29 Apr 2017 - 1:36

I don't see how I could have written my original piece any simpler.

There were four questions, each with related other ones which should have given some insight into what I was looking for. I asked about readings, not about messages; after 30 years at this stuff I'm pretty well au fait about communication via mediumship.

I don't pick the words that people use. Folk have asked for or offered 'readings' and it's about readings I was asking.
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Sat 29 Apr 2017 - 1:38

I have had many readings over the years and depending on the circumstances at the time of the reading, my answers to your questions would be different on each occasion.
    Talking about one particular reading that I had many years ago (long before anyone close to me had died).  I was in my mid 20's and this is how it goes.
    mac wrote:When you made your request for a reading, were you looking for something particular?

I was not looking for anything particular.  Where I worked at the time, everyone was talking about this brilliant "fortune-teller" who was giving the most amazing accurate information.  Various accounts from people in other departments who had been to this "fortune-teller" and all seemed very impressed.  He was apparently so good and popular, that he was fully booked up for something like 6 months in advance.  
    Myself and two others that I worked with telephoned the number and made an appointment to go see him for a date 8 months away.  

mac wrote:Did the reading provide it?
    The reading provided far more than I ever could have expected.

mac wrote:Were you given any help over what the reading contained, how it could be used or should be interpreted?
    Yes, at the very end.

mac wrote:Do you know what kind of reading it was?  Was that explained to you before or after the reading was given?
    I did not know beforehand.  Hadn't a clue.  Only when the reading was over, he asked me if I had any questions.  I had one question.
    This reading had been amazingly detailed in a totally uncannily precise way.  The three of us went together to this person's home address (all I remember was that it was in Rayners Lane), where we were greeted by his wife, who made us tea and biscuits in the kitchen while one of us went in to the sitting room to have what I thought then was to have our "fortune" told.  His wife told us that she did healing for animals, pets - dogs and cats etc.

When it came to my turn, he met me at the door of the sitting room and before I sat down, just inside the door he asked that I put my hands together and he placed his hands over mine for a few seconds.  (I remember his hands were warm, very warm).  When he released them he said straight away "there were 2 rings on that finger once".  (I had been married very young (19) and divorced 2 years previous and had not worn my engagement ring & wedding ring since that time.

He sat down in one armchair by the fire and I sat opposite him in the other one , probably about 10-12 feet between us.

He started off by telling me that I was one of 3 children (correct) and that my mother was a few years older than my father (correct) and then he went through a thoroughly detailed account of my younger life, detailing with precise accuracy my friends, my home, my interests, how I and my best friend loved going to the dances regularly to a town about 10 miles away (it was 11 miles actually) various specific events that had happened through my life, the boyfriends that I had had, then telling me that I had travelled over deep water and within a year had met my future husband who had travelled even deeper water (I came to England - by boat - when I was 17, began working at the BBC (my first job) and sure enough had met my husband within a year, who had indeed travelled "deeper water", being Moroccan). He said my husband had been 10 years my senior (correct) and that when we first married we had gone to live in another country - and that I was not happy there, I had felt as though I was "a prisoner in my own home".  (While still engaged, my fiance's employment had transferred him to their office in France.  I went with him and we lived in Rouen for about a year (getting married during that time on a trip back to the UK) and then back to Rouen.  I hated it there, stuck in a tiny little flat, and missed my friends and family terribly and we eventually managed a re-transfer back to the UK.

Another thing he said was - he told me that I was a Catholic and that although I no longer went to church, that I did say my own form of "prayers" each night before I went to sleep - that I didn't believe in repeating the mindless prayers taught at school, but that I said my own words to "somewhere and someone" and not sure who that "somewhere/someone" was.  (Incredibly true!)

At times during the reading, he would nod off every now and then.   In fact, at one time it seemed to me that he had fallen asleep sitting in the chair(!) and what seemed like quite a long time - I was just beginning to think ok, must be over now, perhaps I should get up and go - when he suddenly jerked into wakefulness and started rubbing his leg.  He said to me "Your dad has had an operation, the leg still gives him trouble from time to time".  I told him this was incorrect.  My dad had never had any ops.  He replied "Yes, he has" ...
    then he started rubbing his leg again and said "I feel I can't walk any further, just got to stop and rest for a bit".  I repeated to him that this wasn't right (it was the only thing that he had said that didn't make sense to me).  Told  him my mother had been in and out of hospital, had operations and stuff, but no, he insisted that it was my dad.  He told me then that I would be with my parents in the Fall.  (I had no intention at that stage of being back home in Ireland at Autumn time, but as it turned out, I did find myself back home at that time).  Sitting in the kitchen with my mum - my dad was out in the garden, pulling up vegetables for the dinner (a large garden - my mum's bit was the flowers, dad built the shed and planted every vegetable you can think of; potatoes, cabbages, onions, peas - strawberries ... and much more. We never had to go to the shops for veg. Everything was grown with my dad's own hands.
    My mother said to me "he's never happier than when he's out on the land" .. Then she said "It's so good to see him happy and healthy now, wasn't so a few months ago."  (My dad never moaned about anything and I had never known him to be sick at any time.)  Then my mum went on to say "I knew he was bad when one day, walking in to the village together, he started to rub his leg (where he had the operation!) and said - the very words that the "fortune-teller" had come out with - about not being able to walk any further and needed to stop for a while, all the time rubbing his leg".  I simply could not believe it listening to the words my mother was coming out with.  I told her then about my reading, and how I had thought that had been the only thing the man had got wrong.  She said that he had indeed had an operation (triple by-pass) where veins had been taken from his leg or something, and that's why the pain and tiredness came in the leg.  She said they hadn't want to worry us "children" being far from home - and probably would never have even told me had I not told her about my reading.

mac wrote:Do you have any other thoughts you'd like to share?

At one stage, the man said to me "Okay, we've gone through your past and your present.  Before we go on to the future (and I will say to you right now that I am not a fortune-teller and cannot predict what your future will be.  No-one can.  All I can tell you is that there are certain paths already laid out for you and it is totally up to you which paths you take) ... He said "Before we proceed any further, do you have any questions you would like to ask?"  
    I said yes, I do have a question. (At this stage, I was just so amazed at how this complete stranger had gone through such detail about my whole life - there had been loads of other things that he covered in such minute detail ... that I haven't gone into here) - I wanted to know how he got this information.  I asked him that very question, "How are you receiving all this information?  Do you get pictures in your mind? or what?  He replied that I had a grandmother on my father's side who I never knew - Ihad just been a tiny baby when I met her. (True)
    He said that "she is watching over and guiding you through your life - and she wants you to know that there is a place you will remember where you have felt great happiness, a place with chickens and cows and fields.  She wants you to know that you are always welcome there."
    My dad's home place!  A farm - in the countryside in Co. Monaghan, Ireland - with chickens in the yard and their own cows - where every chance I could get I would visit often.  I absolutely loved it there and spent long holidays up there, where my uncle (my dad's brother) and auntie still lived with their large family (9 cousins).  I loved feeding the chickens, and going down the meadow early in the mornings with my cousin to bring the cows up to the barn to be milked and then going on the tractor up to the crossroads to leave the milk churns where they would be collected and taken to the creamery.  It was a whole different way of life for me to where I was brought up - and I had said many's the time that I felt so very happy there.  I remember one day sitting with some of my cousins on the grass at top of the meadow hill and saying that I felt this place was the nearest thing to heaven I could think of.

I now know, of course, that this was my first introduction to Mediumship.  My "fortune-teller" was a true medium.

Over the years there have since been many many passings to Spirit amongst my family and friends.  I have since had many different kinds of readings from different people, times and places - and my answer to the questions above would be different on each occasion(i.e. "why" I would go for a reading, what I would expect from it, etc.)
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sat 29 Apr 2017 - 1:40

thanks - That was a full and clear response. I didn't expect personal details but they help illustrate your answers. Based on what you've written I'm taking it that some so-called readings were evidential mediumship and some (the later ones?) weren't.... Or perhaps they were and for you reading always implies mediumship?
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Sat 29 Apr 2017 - 1:42

mac wrote: Based on what you've written I'm taking it that some so-called readings were evidential mediumship and some (the later ones?) weren't....  Or perhaps they were and for you reading always implies mediumship?

In response to the emboldened question - definitely not.  I am acutely aware that there is a distinct difference between giving or receiving a reading delivered psychically, and a mediumistically received one (i.e. the details being passed on by a third-party 'spirit' communicator).

This was demonstrated to me very effectively some years back while attending a full-day workshop run by mediums Gordon Smith and Billy Cook.
    It was my first ever workshop of this kind and there were about 50 people there on the day - split into 2 groups in separate rooms, for one half of the day we had Billy while Gordon did the other group and then they swapped over.

One of the first exercises we did - in Gordon's half of the day, was an exercise to decipher precisely what that difference is:  We had to pair up with one other person in the group (all total strangers to each other) and the first half of the exercise to try and give that person a reading, psychically (i.e. picking up from their energy/aura.  I was able to tell this person quite a lot about their personality, character, lifestyle, etc, apparently on a 'psychic' level - and her reading of me was pretty much spot on.
    Then, for the second half we were instructed by Gordon that now we were going to 'tune in' and ask for a 'spirit communicator' to come through with a message for that person.  At the time of doing this, I was pretty convinced that I would not be able to get any more information for this person than what I had already given her.  BUT ....  what happened once I had 'tuned in' was just amazing - and for me a totally unforgettable experience.  At one point, I felt something like an electric shock shudder through my whole body, like a lightning bolt had entered through the top of my head, right down to my toes - and at that moment I saw the word PAT in large capital letters appear just to the back of this girl's shoulder.  I asked her would there be anyone in spirit by the name of Pat, and she confirmed yes.  I said I could not tell whether this was male or female - and immediately a lady's face appeared in the 'screen' where the word had been. Still slightly shocked at all this, I looked at this lady's face without saying anything for a bit, then I began to describe what I was seeing to this girl.  As soon as I spoke the image disappeared and the capital letters TRICIA appeared flashing on and off in the 'screen'.  When I spoke the word that I was seeing, a very sudden sort of  mini electric bolt went through my body, again it immediately disappeared and a date appeared largely written in the 'screen' - which, again, as soon as I voiced what I was seeing, the scene would change to something else.  This continued for some time, with me just repeating to her what I was seeing ... there were other things like an actual moving scene of what appeared to be a family picnic in a field with mountains in the background ... I relayed to her everything that I was seeing, describing what I could of the other people I could see in this scene; then I got a 'knowing' somehow that the young girl and younger boy in this scene was herself at a younger age, together with her younger brother - and I could tell that the lady was the same face that I had seen right at the beginning.  I felt to say that this was their aunt Patricia (which turned out later to be correct - who used to regularly take her and her younger brother on family picnics in the fields nearby where they lived and grew up, in Scotland, surrounded by mountains).  I kept getting a picture of a yellow bobble hat in between all this, and when I mentioned the bobble hat, as soon as I spoke it, I seemed to be aware somehow that this was a favourite hat of the girl I was giving the reading to when she was younger, and I felt myself saying that she never went anywhere without this yellow hat, that she loved it.  There were other things - another date came up in the screen (which turned out - later when we discussed it, to be her brother's (in the scene) birthday). The first date that I had seen right at the beginning turned out to be the date of Aunty Pat's passing.

I just felt an amazed 'WOW' after this exercise, and even moreso when the girl confirmed to me afterwards that she was indeed taking and accepting all this information.  Both she and I had no doubt whatsoever that the second part of that reading exercise was information being received mediumistically - totally different from the first part of the exercise.

We then had to swap over and she was the one to be reading me.  The 'psychic' part of it had been pretty much spot on, but when it came to the mediumship part, she just drew a blank and had absolutely nothing to give me.

As Gordon said, you can be psychic, but not everyone is a psychicmedium.

ETA:  She also told me afterwards that she did indeed have a yellow bobble hat when younger (that she wore all the time) had been given to her by her Aunty Pat, who had knitted it herself!
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sat 29 Apr 2017 - 1:44

I follow all you've said - your account's very much as I understand the difference between psychic/auric reading compared with mediumship and/or evidential mediumship. The workshop example is a good one for demonstrating the differences. I hope you won't mind my probing you for a few more thoughts?

Consider now, please, the website/forum scenario, where a member gives or receives a written 'reading'. The members are, of course, remote from one another and there's no chance of direct feedback as there might be in a face-to-face situation. In such mutually-remote situations, is the information gleaned from psychic reading? Might it also be via mediumship or is it likely to be a combination based on both of them?

Would you - as a practitioner - expect that another practitioner (as in the above scenario) should understand in which way information had arrived and would you then expect that practitioner to explain the way(s) to the recipient? Or is it to be expected that a 'reading' may simply be a mix of psychically/aurically/mediumistically derived information and that the practitioner may be unable to tell which was which?
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Sat 29 Apr 2017 - 1:47

mac wrote:
    Consider now, please, the website/forum scenario, where a member gives or receives a written 'reading'. The members are, of course, remote from one another and there's no chance of direct feedback as there might be in a face-to-face situation. In such mutually-remote situations, is the information gleaned from psychic reading? Might it also be via mediumship or is it likely to be a combination based on both of them?

Would you - as a practitioner - expect that another practitioner (as in the above scenario) should understand in which way information had arrived and would you then expect that practitioner to explain the way(s) to the recipient? Or is it to be expected that a 'reading' may simply be a mix of psychically/aurically/mediumistically derived information and that the practitioner may be unable to tell which was which?

I wouldn't expect anything, tbh, mac, as everyone seems to work in different ways; e.g. some mediums only seem to be able to work clairaudiently - they hear the communicating messages, but cannot see anything. Others only seem to get symbols, through which interpretation is needed. The ability of the deceased to communicate plays a large part as well - some seem to be able to come through very well.

The best occasion that I ever experienced in giving a 'reading' happened in a similar sort of "pairing up" at another workshop, that same year, this time with Glyn Edwards at the helm. Everything came across so very clear and strong, with the minutest of evidential details included to pass on (all of which the recipient could take without question). I remember I felt physically drained at the end of delivering that message - I had physically felt and experienced all the emotions and descriptions that came from this spirit communicator, who had passed only very recently (one month previous) at the age of 93. Turned out that she (the deceased) had herself been a medium throughout her lifetime - so it seems she was very well versed in how to get her messages through (to her best friend, the lady that I was reading) - which made it so much easier for me!

I really wouldn't presume to know how these online readings would work, never having experienced one, but I certainly wouldn't expect any one, uniform type of delivery. So many different circumstances to take into account.

I imagine there may be occasions where a medium demonstrating on platform (for instance) will include some psychically-received information. If, however, as you query above, "is it to be expected that a 'reading' may simply be a mix of psychically/aurically/mediumistically derived information and that the practitioner may be unable to tell which was which?" - I would say that any person giving a reading who is unable to tell whether they are receiving the information psychically or mediumistically - has not to my thinking EVER experienced a real connection of mediumship, because if they had, they would most definitely know the difference.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Sat 29 Apr 2017 - 1:49

I think we've gone as far as we two can go and broadly we see things similarly, perhaps understandably given the way we write about matters.

What's missing now is input from others, the very thing I'd hoped to get when I posted the thread. Without it I'd have to guess that online practitioners may be giving 'readings' that are a mix of psychic-reading and mediumship with little attempt to differentiate which is which and without any guidance for the recipient.

Without guidance, then, the recipient might be left mistakenly thinking that psychic reading aspects was information from a spirit-based source. If other information was truly spirit-based it would still be presented in a similar way. To me that isn't satisfactory .

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 15:41