Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism: Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

Doris Stokes

Candlelight.kk

Female

Doris Stokes

Post by Candlelight.kk on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 22:32

(originally posted on 09 Jul 2014)

Doris Stokes - 'She heard voices'
Doris Stokes was one of the most best known and influential psychic mediums of the twentieth century. Her down to earth, practical manner helped demystify mediumship and brought belief in death survival to the masses. She filled the Albert Hall to capacity and Sydney Opera House three nights in a row. She made many television appearances and toured extensively despite her own illness and personal tragedies she was determined to bring hope and succour to as many people as possible.

Read more here: http://www.the-psychics.co.uk/doris-stokes.htm
Candlelight.kk

Female

Re: Doris Stokes

Post by Candlelight.kk on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 22:33

Medium Doris Stokes: Genuine or Fake?
by T. Stokes

http://spiritlink.com/Doris-Stokes.html
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 22:34

Doris Stokes at The Barbican (Parts 1 - 10)

mac
Happy poster
Happy poster

Male
Job/hobbies : retired

Post by mac on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 22:36

My wife went to see her in Sheffield a few months after our significant event and Doris 'brought' someone special to her after the show had finished. It's nearly three decades ago...

Man what a long time back it seems now, what a lot of water has passed under the bridge, what a lot of changes can be seen in the field of mediumship and Spiritualism. I was lucky I caught just the tail end of 'the good times' of the movement.

getting old....

mac
Happy poster
Happy poster

Male

Post by mac on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 22:37

My wife went to see her in Sheffield a few months after our significant event and Doris 'brought' someone special to her after the show had finished. It's nearly three decades ago...

Man what a long time back it seems now, what a lot of water has passed under the bridge, what a lot of changes can be seen in the field of mediumship and Spiritualism. I was lucky I caught just the tail end of 'the good times' of the movement.

getting old....
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 22:38

I'm reading her book at the moment, borrowed from the library at LSM (the London Spiritualist Mission). Well, it's actually a compendium of Doris Stokes' books (four in one. I was so pleased to find it there because her first book 'Voices in my Ear' is a book I have been trying to get my hands on for a long time. I had read the follow-up 'More Voices in my Ear' - way back when it first came out. My mother and father were still alive then and living back home in Ireland. Whenever I went home to visit, I always asked if there were any special requests they wanted me to bring over, and this particular occasion my mother asked for a book by Doris Stokes called 'More Voices in my Ear'. She had read the first book and now the follow-up was out but wasn't available in Ireland.

I got her the book - and had actually finished reading it by the time I arrived over there (travelling over by train and boat - Holyhead to Dun Laoighaire).

mac
Happy poster
Happy poster

Male

Post by mac on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 22:40

I used to have the two you mentioned (and maybe others, I can't recall now) but I lent them out to fellow learners - along with a bunch of other 'spooks' books - and I got just one of 'em back.

Wish I still had them along with a load of my Silver Birch teachings books. How naive was I expecting folk to return what they borrowed, even potential Spiritualists?
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 22:48

I know what you mean, mac. I bought Raymond Moody's book Life After Life when it was first published (some time in the mid 70's). That book was hardly ever in my possession, I lent it out to so many people over the years.
I remember asking one person if they were finished reading it yet and if so, could I have it back - and they said they had lent it to somebody else and waiting to get it back from them(!)
I can't recall who was the last person to borrow it, but I never did get it back.
These days I am very reluctant to lend books to anyone - and I always now write my name (and date) on the inside cover of any book that is my own (obviously not on borrowed books).
We used to be able to get these little stickers "This book belongs to ...............". Whatever happened to them?

We shouldn't really complain though, because in these days of internet technology all of these precious works - and much more - are available to us on tap. You don't even have to go outside of your own doorstep now to get hold of stuff that not so long ago you wouldn't even have heard about.

mac
Happy poster
Happy poster

Male

Post by mac on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 22:49

But there's something about a book that reading from a screen just doesn't cut for me. I guess it's 'cos I'm an old fart who grew up with books and magazines and reading a printed page is more familar and comfortable.

All my books, incidentally, had my name and address in them and also a request for the 'borrower' to return them asap so others in our group could also read them - fat chance! Just one returned out of a couple of dozen....

JDBP
Happy poster
Happy poster

Male

Post by JDBP on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 22:50

She was exposed by the Daily Mail as a fraud, she got caught using plants, and reading people she had read before but made out they were strangers.

mac
Happy poster
Happy poster

Male

Post by mac on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 22:51

ayup, Jon! Haven't seen you around for some time - everything OK?

JDBP
Happy poster
Happy poster

Male

Post by JDBP on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 22:53

Yes thanks, everything good, thought I would have a nosey on here as haven't been on in years it seems.
Bit disappointed by some of the naivety on here though

mac
Happy poster
Happy poster

Male

Post by mac on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 22:55

JDBP wrote:Yes thanks, everything good, thought I would have a nosey on here as haven't been on in years it seems.
Bit disappointed by some of the naivety on here though

Oh I think you're pulling our collective legs, Jon! You surely always expect naivety from those who follow 'the spooks'? Such is your stock-in trade one of your raisons d'etre.... Glad to hear everything's OK with you, though.

We 'believers' muddle on despite everything being against our making progress.

JDBP
Happy poster
Happy poster

Male

Post by JDBP on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 22:56

I am just curious how a believer justifies continuing belief in a medium even after they have been shown to be a fraud

mac
Happy poster
Happy poster

Male

Post by mac on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 22:58

JDBP wrote:I am just curious how a believer justifies continuing belief in a medium even after they have been shown to be a fraud

To get an answer you'd have to ask the believer. I'm not a believer so it's not something I could help you with....

JDBP
Happy poster
Happy poster

Male

Post by JDBP on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 23:00

I thought you were a woo for some reason mac

mac
Happy poster
Happy poster

Male

Post by mac on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 23:05

JDBP wrote:I thought you were a woo for some reason mac

You're learning my lad.....
Candlelight.kk

Female

Post by Candlelight.kk on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 23:06

I thought I heard that 'W' word being bandied around ....

Might have known Mister JD would be lurking somewhere in the vicinity ....

mac
Happy poster
Happy poster

Male

Post by mac on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 23:09

Candlelight.kk wrote:I thought I heard that 'W' word being bandied around ....

Might have known Mister JD would be lurking somewhere in the vicinity ....

Ya gotta give him credit for keeping on returning here to continue his crusade. Like a dog with a bone.

Current date/time is Fri 18 Aug 2017, 06:08