Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of our existence: Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism ~ Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

3 posters

From the Ridiculous to the Paranormal (Michael Bentine documentary)

Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

From the Ridiculous to the Paranormal (Michael Bentine documentary) Empty From the Ridiculous to the Paranormal (Michael Bentine documentary)

Post by Candlelight.kk Mon 24 Apr 2017 - 22:19

(originally posted on 7 Dec 2016 06:55 pm)

A talk given by Michael Bentine about his paranormal experiences and investigations into mediumship to the Wrekin Trust on 29th October 1989
    Misty
    Misty

From the Ridiculous to the Paranormal (Michael Bentine documentary) Empty Re: From the Ridiculous to the Paranormal (Michael Bentine documentary)

Post by Misty Mon 24 Apr 2017 - 22:20

I knew that Peter Sellers was into allsorts to do with Spiritualism, Mediums etc but didnt know that about Michael Bentine. I wonder if the other two Goons were also ---- Spike Milligan? Harry Secombe?
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

From the Ridiculous to the Paranormal (Michael Bentine documentary) Empty Re: From the Ridiculous to the Paranormal (Michael Bentine documentary)

Post by Candlelight.kk Mon 24 Apr 2017 - 22:22

Misty wrote:I knew that Peter Sellers was into allsorts to do with Spiritualism, Mediums etc but didnt know that about Michael Bentine.  I wonder if the other two Goons were also ----  Spike Milligan?  Harry Secombe?

Well of course there was another member of 'The Goons' - Peter Sellers.  Michael Bentine first introduced him to the occult, and after an apparent near-death experience on the operating table, he became heavily (and obsessively) involved in everything psychic, including séances, Ouija, psychic healing ....

This video documentary  :arrow: Paranormal Peter Sellers says it all!
    This documentary revealed Peter Sellers obsession with the occult.  Sellers was a highly superstitious man who consulted fortune tellers, clairvoyants and mediums to help him make key decisions in his life and work.

Michael Bentine was well known amongst the mediumship circuit.  Was great friends with medium/healer Betty Shine and lots of well-known mediums of his time.  He was a frequent visitor to the London Spiritual Mission in Notting Hill.

As for Spike Milligan, I don't know the extent of his interest, but this extract from The Psychic Handbook by Craig & Jane Hamilton-Parker ( [Only admins are allowed to see this link] ) gives some indication:
    Comedian and author Spike Milligan was brought up in India but never took an interest in the psychic practitioners all around him - until a strange event changed his mind.  One day, while listening to a football match on the radio, he was annoyed when his watch stopped at 4.20pm.  Then the phone rang.  He answered it and heard the speaking clock saying it was 4.20 and 18 seconds.  This shocked Spike, so he dialled the telephone engineers, who explained that it was impossible and such a thing had never happened before.   The next morning, Spike received a sad letter.  His beloved grandmother had died the previous day at 4.20pm.

I've not aware of Harry Secombe being involved in anything paranormal, though I'm sure it would be quite surprising, working with those three, if something hadn't rubbed off on him!
    Misty
    Misty

Post by Misty Mon 24 Apr 2017 - 22:26

I forgot about Spike Milligan!

What a coincidence - I found this story by coincidence on a news site!   I didnt know he was Irish either.  [Only admins are allowed to see this image]

Nothing too dramatic today as far as coincidences go but it’s another small personal experience from one of our holidays.

We were staying in a 16th century cottage in Rye, East Sussex, England. That’s the row of cottages at the front of the photo. The picture was taken from the church bell tower opposite.

One day my wife and I set off for a long walk heading in the direction of the sea. As we crossed some open fields I started talking about Spike Milligan, a British/Irish comedian, writer, actor, musician and poet who died back in 2002. Nothing specific, just general chat as we walked.

After crossing the fields I wasn’t too sure which way to head but saw a sign saying Winchelsea, so I suggested we went in that direction. We approached the village which was highish on a hill and looked to be old and interesting.

We made our way through the old gatehouse and into the village. It was typically, old fashioned England with a big church at the center. Though I don’t belong to any organised religion I like churches: the way they feel, the atmosphere inside and so on. They are usually full of history.

We spent an age in the church and my wife even made a ‘rainbow’ woollen bracelet while there, which she attached to her rucksack. As we were leaving my wife noticed a photo of Spike Milligan in the church!

She beckoned me over and, sure enough, it was Spike’s picture – with directions of how find his grave in the churchyard. This was completely unbeknown to us. We had no idea where he lived when alive or where he was buried. We now know that prior to his death he was living in Rye.

We found his grave outside and paid our respects. In typical Milligan humour his stone bears the words “Dúirt mé leat go raibh mé breoite”. This is Irish and translates to “I told you I was ill.” I have since read that the church would not allow this to be written in English.
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Mon 24 Apr 2017 - 22:27

Misty wrote:I didnt know he was Irish either.

Well, strictly speaking, Spike Milligan wasn't really Irish - despite the name. His father was Irish, his mother British. He was born in India.
    When it came to getting a passport (in England), they wouldn't allow him a UK passport as he refused to swear allegiance to the Crown - so he decided to get an Irish one instead, on the strength of his father's nationality. To all intents and purposes ... really, he was what we would call a 'Plastic Paddy'.
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Mon 24 Apr 2017 - 22:28

Did they have plastic when Spike Milligan opted for an Irish passport?

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 13:52