Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of our existence: Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism ~ Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

5 posters

Board layout

Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Board layout Empty Board layout

Post by Candlelight.kk Sun 8 Mar 2020 - 14:53

alienpop   You may notice some slight changes to the layout of the Board ....

If anyone is unhappy about the changes and wants to go back to how it was - please have your say here!
    We can have it transformed back in a jiffy. pirat

(I'm not too sure about it myself, tbh rabbit ... so would really welcome views/opinions).

Board layout Owl-an10
    witchy  Board layout 35870767_s-300x175  thanks  
    Misty
    Misty

Board layout Empty Re: Board layout

Post by Misty Sun 8 Mar 2020 - 19:13

lol kk its experimenting time again Mr. Green facepalm. I think you already know my opinion Rolling Eyes but giving it anyway.
    I dont know about others but I'm not liking this new look No angry wagtail I am too used to the old way.
    change it back please. judge
    evergreen
    evergreen

Post by evergreen Mon 9 Mar 2020 - 0:01

No problem far as I'm concerned Candlelight.kk.  Everything is still the same except widget panel is now on the left instead of right-hand side, which makes visibility better in some ways. All still works the same.  Portal same. 
    Happy with it either way. Smile
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Mon 9 Mar 2020 - 0:15

As this is not my only website I'm used to different layouts place-to-place so whatever changes you've made, kk, haven't caused me any problems.

I might not even have noticed!
    ariel
    ariel

Post by ariel Tue 10 Mar 2020 - 6:07

No bother here.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Tue 10 Mar 2020 - 15:05

On a general note I think that whatever side the information box sits it occupies too much of each page. Along with the emoticon panel a good half - if not more - of any page gets used resulting in thread text being very small.

For me it would be prefererable to have the stats. box disappear when I access a thread so I get to see just the information I'm interested in. I suppose that's just the way the website software works? Crying or Very sad
    Misty
    Misty

Post by Misty Tue 10 Mar 2020 - 18:57

mac wrote:On a general note I think that whatever side the information box sits it occupies too much of each page.  Along with the emoticon panel a good half - if not more - of any page gets used resulting in thread text being very small.

For me it would be prefererable to have the stats. box disappear when I access a thread so I get to see just the information I'm interested in.  I suppose that's just the way the website software works?  Crying or Very sad

Yes, maybe if the widget boxes were all on the portal page?
    Most of them are duplicated there anyway.

Mac,
    if you do like I do --- click in the box that says Toggle smileys panel underneath where you post, that will give you a lot more room in the posting part and make it easier to read, not so much scrolling to do either because the posts have more room to spread out across the page.  If you want to use a smiley you can just click in that box again and it toggles the smileys panel back.  It does make a difference.

Also, I much prefer to have the profiles and avatars on the left of the posts like they were before.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Tue 10 Mar 2020 - 19:12

[quote="Misty"]
    mac wrote:On a general note I think that whatever side the information box sits it occupies too much of each page.  Along with the emoticon panel a good half - if not more - of any page gets used resulting in thread text being very small.

For me it would be prefererable to have the stats. box disappear when I access a thread so I get to see just the information I'm interested in.  I suppose that's just the way the website software works?  Crying or Very sad

Yes, maybe if the widget boxes were all on the portal page?

yes - agreed

Mac,
    if you do like I do --- click in the box that says Toggle smileys panel underneath where you post, that will give you a lot more room in the posting part and make it easier to read, not so much scrolling to do either because the posts have more room to spread out across the page.  If you want to use a smiley you can just click in that box again and it toggles the smileys panel back.  It does make a difference.

Oh that's better! I hadn't noticed that setting, kk.. That does make more visible space and now I can magnify my browser page to make the text bigger - thank you! Just that change has made things more 'user-friendly' for me.

Also, I much prefer to have the profiles and avatars on the left of the posts like they were before.

Yes I prefer that layout too.
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Tue 10 Mar 2020 - 20:45

Thanks Misty, Evergreen, mac, ariel.  All your comments are noted. Smile 

This means .... I now have official permission to do a bit more experimenting.... excited 

Taking everyone's views into account, just chipping in to say I will shortly be nipping in to do a bit of snipping and flipping, clipping and stripping.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Tue 10 Mar 2020 - 22:05

Candlelight.kk wrote:Thanks Misty, Evergreen, mac, ariel.  All your comments are noted. Smile 

This means .... I now have official permission to do a bit more experimenting.... excited 

Taking everyone's views into account, just chipping in to say I will shortly be nipping in to do a bit of snipping and flipping, clipping and stripping.

I shall look forward to viewing the eventual outcome, kk. very happy Already I like what I see when I'm writing a response. A wide, plain page with lots of 'white space' that makes it easy to read and an emoticon panel that's there only when I choose. Smile
    ariel
    ariel

Post by ariel Thu 12 Mar 2020 - 17:55

Back as before then kk.  pirat  solved

Like the headgear, mac! thumb
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Fri 13 Mar 2020 - 2:06

ariel wrote:Back as before then kk.  pirat  solved

Like the headgear, mac! thumb

thank you!  Smile   I've had numerous strangers compliment me similarly which is always a surprise but a nice surprise.....  

I've been wearing baseball caps for probably 25 years but took to a 'proper' hat a few years back when my ears often got caught by the sun with cancer a real consequential risk.  The style isn't out of place where I am in winter (but not all that many wear them even here) and would look odd in the UK the rest of the year although I do still wear one similar much of the time.  

How I wish stylish full-size hats would come back into fashion the way they used to be.  The UK has the right climate for hats but few wear 'em other than young uns as fashion items. I see old guys like me with unprotected heads when it's cold and wet and when it's - occasionally! - hot and sunny.  It's plain barmy!   very happy very happy
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Fri 13 Mar 2020 - 15:22

ariel wrote:Back as before then kk.  pirat  solved

Well, not quite as before ...  The widget panel has been put on a diet; it's a bit thinner now than it used to be, leaving a bit more room in the posting area.
    Also, I think I've made it easier for people to use the quoting system, by de-activating the WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) as the default when quoting, at least temporarily to see how it goes ... I'm not sure whether folk are aware that when in the editing area for posting, quoting etc, you can change the look of the display by clicking on the last icon in the editing toolbar above the posting area.  The WYSIWYG has been the default display up until now; it's obviously a personal choice, but I find when quoting that it's easier to use the alternative display (on clicking that token up in the editing toolbar - (don't know what the proper technical name for it is) - e.g. you don't see the emboldened words, instead you will see [ b] in front of the word and [ /b] behind it (without the spaces) ... (is that HTML??  rabbit  ....)  Anyway, if you experiment with it yourself by clicking that icon button while you're posting, you will see what I mean. Mr. Green  You can toggle it back and forth as you are creating your message, just as you can with the smileys.   I think I'm making it sounded complicated, when it really isn't in practice.

Misty wrote:Yes, maybe if the widget boxes were all on the portal page?
    I did consider that point, and tried it out - but decided to keep some of the widgets on the main page - kind of a boring, empty feel without them. What a Face  They just don't take up so much room now Also, some people are not even aware that the Portal is there, and so could be missing out on some important essentials of the forum, like being able to scroll through all the latest topics at a glance without having to go to another page - or perhaps checking on the latest updates on the Coronavirus situation without interrupting what you are doing.
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Fri 13 Mar 2020 - 17:17

quote:" e.g. you don't see the emboldened words, instead you will see [ b] in front of the word and [ /b] behind it (without the spaces) ... (is that HTML?? rabbit ....)"

It's BB code - Bulletin Board code.
    Misty
    Misty

Post by Misty Fri 13 Mar 2020 - 17:52

Got to rush now just popped in to say glad its back to normal again. yay

Will be working from home next week so wont have to dash off at home time. The whole week will be home time. excited

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024 - 2:30