Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of our existence: Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism ~ Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

2 posters

Dr Matthew Smith's 'Million Dollar Psychic'

Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Dr Matthew Smith's 'Million Dollar Psychic' Empty Dr Matthew Smith's 'Million Dollar Psychic'

Post by Candlelight.kk Wed 29 Jan 2020 - 19:31

Whatever happened to Matthew Smith's 'Million Dollar Psychic'? - and the book he was writing about his project, intending to be published the following year?

If anyone knows the outcome of Dr Matthew Smith's project, and whether the book was ever published - please come and fill in the missing info.  (I can't find any mention anywhere after 2011).

Matthew joined the Spiritlove forum back in 2009 to talk about his project,
    (part of a long thread salvaged from the WayBack Machine of the Internet Archive):
    Post subject: Dr Matthew Smith ~ Million Dollar Psychic ?
    Posted by Kitkat on Sun, 04 Oct 2009, 5:11 pm:

From Sceptic to Psychic?

Can a scientist become a psychic and win a million dollars?

Dr. Matthew Smith leaves behind the safety of academic life today to pursue a unique and rather ambitious project. After more than fifteen years of researching ‘paranormal’ experiences from a scientific perspective, Matthew will set aside his scepticism to see if he can discover and develop his own hidden psychic abilities. In a year-long project, he will work with some of the world’s leading mediums and psychics to discover if he has any hidden psychic talents. Leading parapsychologists will monitor his progress by subjecting him to scientific tests along the way.

I wonder who the 'world's leading mediums and psychics' will be that he will be working with?
    I did hear rumours some time back that Gordon Smith had been approached by Dr Matthew Smith to partake in some research study, and that Gordon had intimated he would be happy to do so.
    Matthew is writing about his experience for a book, Million Dollar Psychic, to be published next year.

Post subject: Dr Matthew Smith ~ Million Dollar Psychic ?
    Posted by Kitkat on
    Mon, 15 Feb 2010, 7:08 pm

You will be pleased to know that Dr Matthew Smith has very kindly agreed to come here to Spiritlove to answer some of the questions that have arisen surrounding his project.
    I am sure there are many questions that folk will wish to put to Matthew, from whatever side of the fence they may find themselves - and I guess here is as good a place as any to make a start.

Thank you Matthew in advance of your most welcome visit here Dr Matthew Smith's 'Million Dollar Psychic' Icon_biggrin
    and my first question is: Is Gordon Smith one of the mediums involved in your Project, and will it involve being tested under the sort of controlled protocols acceptable to the 'skeps'?
    Dr Matthew Smith's 'Million Dollar Psychic' 2906339041  arrow  HERE

Ireland's Boards.ie made mention of it also: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2055991693

lol - Jon Donnis joined the discussion there and in typical style, managed to bring the whole thread around to discussing Jon Donnis and his forum facepalm , which incidentally had been closed down at that stage.
    Originally Posted by MrMojoRisin

RE: BadPsychics closing down. You know, if he hadn't pissed off all the psychics, maybe one of them might have been able to foresee the site's closure and then warn him?!!
    lol

Further relating references:-

https://jerome23.wordpress.com/2011/04/04/million-dollar-psychic-an-interview-with-dr-matthew-smith/

http://www.merseysideskeptics.org.uk/2010/03/skeptics-in-the-pub-matt-smith/#more-533

Spiritlove Forum capture -  Oct, 2009
    ariel
    ariel

Dr Matthew Smith's 'Million Dollar Psychic' Empty Re: Dr Matthew Smith's 'Million Dollar Psychic'

Post by ariel Thu 6 Feb 2020 - 11:57

Hardly worth the effort. Why no trace of the book?  Because there is no book! There never was any intention for a book.  Any existing outcome to this project will be to show that the whole 'project' was nothing but a publicity stunt. judge
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Dr Matthew Smith's 'Million Dollar Psychic' Empty Re: Dr Matthew Smith's 'Million Dollar Psychic'

Post by Candlelight.kk Thu 6 Feb 2020 - 18:21

ariel wrote:Hardly worth the effort. Why no trace of the book?  Because there is no book! There never was any intention for a book.  Any existing outcome to this project will be to show that the whole 'project' was nothing but a publicity stunt. judge

Maybe so, ariel.  I suppose that's something only Matthew himself could confirm.
    I hope, if he ever reads this, he might come here with his own response and let us know what transpired from that time and what he's been doing in the meantime.

Meanwhile, here's something I found that fills in some of the gaps, a podcast by Dr Matthew Smith from September 2019:  A sort of mini autobiography all squeezed into just under 21 mins - but no mention whatsoever of his Million Dollar Psychic challenge.  It's as though that was a period of his life he seems to want to wipe clean and just forget about. schtum  
    (Bit of a break in the recording, where there's a bit of a silence ... but it continues on after a few seconds, with an explanation of why that happened.)

Dr Matthew Smith's 'Million Dollar Psychic' Rsz_ki10  wave  Come on, Matthew ... Be a sport, and come and give us an explanation for that other gap in your research story. 
    Some of us are interested. 

Why study the paranormal?

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024 - 7:13