Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of our existence: Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism: Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

Video of the Week now showing on the Portal is: 'Beyond Our Sight'
  • Reply to topic

How many posts per page? (Poll now closed)

Poll

How many posts per page in any one topic works best for you?

Total Votes: x

Candlelight.kk

Question Re: How many posts per page? (Poll now closed)

Post by Candlelight.kk on 24th April 2019, 12:40

Currently showing 10 ppp (posts per page) in any one topic.  
This number will remain for one week - until 30th April - when voting in the Poll will be closed and the majority choice at Poll closure will become default.  (At present with 27 votes - the majority choice shows 50).
mac
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Job/hobbies : retired

Post by mac on 24th April 2019, 13:41

Coincidentally, and for a specific purpose, only this morning I've been testing the pages on 'my' other regular website. 

The software default was set at 5 per page and I tried changing that to 50 - everything worked fine but with lots of scrolling top-to-bottom for day-to-day use so I've now changed the setting to 10 per page.
Candlelight.kk
Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk on 24th April 2019, 17:46

mac wrote:Coincidentally, and for a specific purpose, only this morning I've been testing the pages on 'my' other regular website. 

The software default was set at 5 per page and I tried changing that to 50 - everything worked fine but with lots of scrolling top-to-bottom for day-to-day use so I've now changed the setting to 10 per page.

'5 per page' seems an incredibly low number for a forum, but if they are all very long, detailed posts, I suppose it would make sense to split the pages in such a way.  Personally, though, when I come across a site, especially when it's for the first time, I like to see as much detail of what went before at a glance, without having to keep clicking on previous or next pages.  Also a bit of a nuisance when wanting to quote a post that might be 10, 11 or more pages back in the topic, worse still if you want to make multi-quotes in your reply.  Could get very confusing (for me anyway).
As for day-to-day use, I don't see that there would be any need for scrolling, as you would be automatically brought to the most recently made post (or posts) in the topic anyway.
mac
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Job/hobbies : retired

Post by mac on 24th April 2019, 18:13

Candlelight.kk wrote:
mac wrote:Coincidentally, and for a specific purpose, only this morning I've been testing the pages on 'my' other regular website. 

'5 per page' seems an incredibly low number for a forum, but if they are all very long, detailed posts, I suppose it would make sense to split the pages in such a way.  Personally, though, when I come across a site, especially when it's for the first time, I like to see as much detail of what went before at a glance, without having to keep clicking on previous or next pages.  Also a bit of a nuisance when wanting to quote a post that might be 10, 11 or more pages back in the topic, worse still if you want to make multi-quotes in your reply.  Could get very confusing (for me anyway).
As for day-to-day use, I don't see that there would be any need for scrolling, as you would be automatically brought to the most recently made post (or posts) in the topic anyway.
Well you've seen the range of threads there, kk.....  

Sometimes even 5 postings per page can result in a long page, particularly if they are detailed and/or previous-postings are quoted.  I agree it can be irksome when someone wants to quote a posting from a page from a long way back but that's not a frequent situation.  I don't use a cell phone to access the website but a thread with a large number of postings would need much scrolling on a small screen with so little text visible at any one time. 

How folk go on using a phone I don't know but they're too fiddly for my thick fingers (I'm actually slim but my finger tips are so much bigger than the symbols on a touch-screen keyboard) and for my tired eyes.  I guess folk get used to those things when a phone is all they have - and when they're younger!

The day-to-day scrolling I meant was when exploring the threads without being subscribed to any - new members are in that position when they first explore the website's topics.
Candlelight.kk
Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk on 1st May 2019, 15:20

How many posts per page?  (Poll now closed) - Page 2 T1rsz_15

Thanks to all who voted in this Poll.

The majority vote indicates that most are happy to continue with 50 posts per page.

The voting is now closed,
but the topic remains open for continued comments and discussion.
  • Reply to topic

Current date/time is 21st May 2019, 00:54