Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of our existence: Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism: Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

Video of the Week now showing on our Portal page is: 'MYSTERIES OF THE UNEXPLAINED'
  • Reply to topic

How many posts per page? (Poll now closed)

Poll

How many posts per page in any one topic works best for you?

Total Votes: x
Candlelight.kk
Candlelight.kk

Question How many posts per page? (Poll now closed)

Post by Candlelight.kk on 2nd March 2019, 17:32

Up until now, the default amount of posts per page in any one topic is 50 (which is the maximum allowed on the forum).  Being able to see the majority of posts in a long topic, at a glance with one click, saves having to keep clicking back to previous page  (Go to page 1,2,3 ..... etc). 

On the other hand, particularly if you are viewing the forum on a mobile, or indeed if the posts contains a lot of long posts, it can mean an inordinate amount of scrolling right down to the end of the page, with the toolbars, gadgets and widgets disappearing from you and having to scroll back up again, all of which can be quite frustrating and annoying.

Also, with topics that contain a lot of images/videos and other media, long pages with multiple posts can become sticky and slow to show up - and you might just see a blank space for a while before the picture or video comes into view.  You might not even be aware there is anything there to see in the first place, especially if your time (and patience) is limited.

It is my personal choice to allow the maximum posts (50) readily viewable at a glance, but for various reasons this may not suit everyone - hence the Poll).

I have changed it (temporarily, for a short period) to 10 posts per page - to give an idea of the difference (if any) this makes, and to make it easier for individuals to make their choice.

Realising that many people do read in the forums just as a guest (thus missing out on a lot of the benefits of becoming a member Wink , but nevertheless ... )welcomeflower  So ...

This Poll is open for votes from both members and guest readers.
You will not have to be logged in to the forum in order to make your voting choice in the Poll.  
(Guests wishing to add a post to the Poll comments, via the Reply How many posts per page?  (Poll now closed) Button11 button, will be required initially to input a username into the box, so just put in whatever name you wish to get you through to the posting area - it cannot be the username of a registered member though - it will tell you that username has already been taken, or something along those lines ... ). Type in your name choice in the box provided, type your comment, and press 'send'.

So, off we go.  Please let us know your choice and/or opinion here, by voting and/or commenting in the posting section.

Thank you.
Anonymous
White Crow

Question Re: How many posts per page? (Poll now closed)

Post by White Crow on 3rd March 2019, 13:37

Hello?  wave 

I ticked the last option.  Did it work?
Anonymous
White Crow

Post by White Crow on 3rd March 2019, 14:15

thumb  Yes, it has registered.  (Makes no difference to me). 

I am not a registered member, but a regular reader in this site and just want to say what a lovely forum this is.  I love the design and the content is informative and unbiased. 
Well done to all of you for doing a great job.  thanks
Candlelight.kk
Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk on 3rd March 2019, 14:56

Thank you so much, White Crow, for your input here. very happy   I know there are some who read in here and who would rather not commit to registering on a forum.  That's perfectly fine and is of course their personal choice - I do the same with other places around the net - I do like to keep up with what's going on!

Thank you for your nice comments, and I hope you will continue to enjoy reading here at Light After Life.  You would of course be most welcome to join here as a member if at any time in the future you might decide to do so.
Misty
Misty
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Post by Misty on 3rd March 2019, 17:23

50.  Saves a lot of time.

Is 50 the total maximum?  IIRC didnt the old forum use to have 100 posts per page? or am I thinking of Spiritlove?
Candlelight.kk
Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk on 4th March 2019, 13:33

@Misty wrote:50.  Saves a lot of time.

Is 50 the total maximum?  IIRC didnt the old forum use to have 100 posts per page? or am I thinking of Spiritlove?

50 posts is the maximum amount per page on any Forumotion forum. 
Both Light After Life and Spiritlove forums had a max allowance of 100 pages; they were both FreeForums-hosted.
'New' LAL (since May 2017) is now hosted by Forumotion. 
Candlelight.kk
Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk on 4th March 2019, 17:39

alienpop From today:
Changing back temporarily to 50 posts per page, to show the difference (from past few days 10) and to make it easier to decide.
Anonymous
Truth Finder

Post by Truth Finder on 5th March 2019, 04:05

50  thumb
mac
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Job/hobbies : retired

Post by mac on 5th March 2019, 14:41

I've tried this short-list thread compared to one where there are many postings.  I prefer the short list page option.

If I were to use a smartphone or tablet I'd find it irksome having to scroll / swipe to get to the bottom of a long list of postings to reach the most recent - the most relevant - ones. On a computer I can use the keyboard keys to reach the bottom quickly.  It would be even better to have the latest posting displayed at the top of any list of postings but I can't see how or if I could change my preferences to achiever that.

Overall I'd say the 5 postings-per-page is a simpler option when following a thread daily or fairly often.  Having 50 per page is only an advantage for me if I were reading from beginning to end of a longer thread, something I only occasionally do.
Candlelight.kk
Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk on 5th March 2019, 15:43

@mac wrote:If I were to use a smartphone or tablet I'd find it irksome having to scroll / swipe to get to the bottom of a long list of postings to reach the most recent - the most relevant - ones. On a computer I can use the keyboard keys to reach the bottom quickly.
That makes me wonder - do you not use the shortcut 'Latest topics' widget in the side bar to the right of the board?  You can avoid all the above by doing so.  The latest topic links appear at the top - click into any one of those links there and it brings you straight to the last post made - or if there has been more than one post made in that topic since your last visit, it takes you straight to the first of those. 

If you do not see that side panel when using a mobile phone, you should have the option there to 'view as desktop' (as opposed to Mobile view) or something along those words - switch to desktop view or something - and your view of the forum will automatically change to just how it looks and works on your computer.  I have mine on Desktop view as default.  Works fine for me. 

Additionally, there is the link at top of the forum 'View posts since last visit' - which does what it says on the tin. With mobile view you might not get all of this, but switch over and it's just as though you are working on a mini computer screen - and of course the option to enlarge if and where necessary.

It would be even better to have the latest posting displayed at the top of any list of postings but I can't see how or if I could change my preferences to achiever that.
As far as I know, there is a way that this can be done in the forum overall. I'm pretty sure I tried it one time, but for some reason wasn't happy with it and changed it back... blink I will have a fiddle and see if I can find this option again - and will give it a temporary trial run to see if it makes things any better.

ETA:
blink Okay, didn't have to fiddle around too much ... this option can be set individually for each category - so as a temporary trial run, I have set it that all topics in the categories under the 'Welcome to Light After Life' section (which includes this topic, coming under POLLS category) should show the most recent posts at the top of the page. I've had a look myself at the outcome - and realise why I decided not to keep it that way before ... that's just me though - I personally find it very confusing. Unless you are someone that looks at the date of each message posted - you would automatically assume that what comes under is in reply to the message above and that message has been posted after the above one. obgob question huh scratch head facepalm geek It's kinda doing my head in already! hairpull crybaby banghead shrug nuts What a Face Suspect gah
(but given me a chance to use a load of emoticoms that I don't normally get to use Happy )

sidestep
getcoat
mac
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Post by mac on 5th March 2019, 17:46

@Candlelight.kk wrote:
@mac wrote:If I were to use a smartphone or tablet I'd find it irksome having to scroll / swipe to get to the bottom of a long list of postings to reach the most recent - the most relevant - ones. On a computer I can use the keyboard keys to reach the bottom quickly.
That makes me wonder - do you not use the shortcut 'Latest topics' widget in the side bar to the right of the board?  You can avoid all the above by doing so.  The latest topic links appear at the top - click into any one of those links there and it brings you straight to the last post made - or if there has been more than one post made in that topic since your last visit, it takes you straight to the first of those. 

If you do not see that side panel when using a mobile phone, you should have the option there to 'view as desktop' (as opposed to Mobile view) or something along those words - switch to desktop view or something - and your view of the forum will automatically change to just how it looks and works on your computer.  I have mine on Desktop view as default.  Works fine for me. 

Additionally, there is the link at top of the forum 'View posts since last visit' - which does what it says on the tin.  With mobile view you might not get all of this, but switch over and it's just as though you are working on a mini computer screen - and of course the option to enlarge if and where necessary.

It would be even better to have the latest posting displayed at the top of any list of postings but I can't see how or if I could change my preferences to achiever that.
As far as I know, there is a way that this can be done in the forum overall.  I'm pretty sure I tried it one time, but for some reason wasn't happy with it and changed it back...   blink  I will have a fiddle and see if I can find this option again - and will give it a temporary trial run to see if it makes things any better.

ETA:
  blink  Okay, didn't have to fiddle around too much ... this option can be set individually for each category - so as a temporary trial run, I have set it that all topics in the categories under the 'Welcome to Light After Life' section (which includes this topic, coming under POLLS category) should show the most recent posts at the top of the page.  I've had a look myself at the outcome - and realise why I decided not to keep it that way before ...  that's just me though - I personally find it very confusing.  Unless you are someone that looks at the date of each message posted - you would automatically assume that what comes under is in reply to the message above and that message has been posted after the above one.  obgob  question huh scratch head  facepalm  geek   It's kinda doing my head in already!  hairpull  crybaby  banghead shrug nuts  What a Face Suspect gah
(but given me a chance to use a load of emoticoms that I don't normally get to use Happy  )

sidestep    
 getcoat  
confused?  me too!

I arrived at your posting, kk, by following the link in the emailed notification I received.  I was perplexed as the latest posting - yours - was at the top of the page!  I hoped I hadn't been talking drivel so I opened another browser window and took a look at an old thread - and that had the most recent posting at the bottom! 

As your quoted posting above was a long one I'd intended dealing with each point you'd made in turn so it was only after I'd hit the 'Quote' button that I saw your explanation at the bottom of the quote box - now I see what you've changed for comparison.  This layout works better for me but it's your website and what works for you should be your priority.

Now to answer your questions.  No I rarely look at the 'Latest Topics' as I use the 'View Posts Since Last Visit' button top right to look for new stuff.  Maybe I should try 'Latest topics' instead but I have to scroll horizontally to see the full column - I always use a computer, presently a 13.3" but at home also a 15.6 inch.  Frustratingly on this 13.3" the emoticons window is fully displayed and way bigger with way more icons than I EVER use.  If that window were narrower or elsewhere the 'Latest topics' window would be seen full width.  But I guess that's down to the template and can't be user adjusted.
Anonymous
Truth Finder

Post by Truth Finder on 5th March 2019, 18:55

laughing Time for another poll, perhaps?
Candlelight.kk
Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk on 5th March 2019, 23:01

Everything is back to normal now.  

mac,
There is another option:  Even with the 'Latest topics' widget being out of view, if you log in to the forum into the Home page (main index), and click the little arrow beside the last post showing on each topic, you are still brought directly to the latest post that has been made in that topic, no need to scroll anywhere ... so, it's possible that you might just be going the long way around up until now, perhaps not realising that there are many different ways to get to your goal. Wink

How many posts per page?  (Poll now closed) Henrymiller1

How many posts per page?  (Poll now closed) Arthurashe1-2x
mac
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Post by mac on 6th March 2019, 00:05

thanks, kk 

It's not a biggie as I'm used to doing what I do and trying to remember to do something different doesn't come easily to this old fart. 

Interesting how this thread that has nothing to do with matters spiritual generates more responses than regular topics.....  Wink
mac
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Post by mac on 7th March 2019, 23:30

Now here's an odd one.....  I've just checked my email where I found a notification - logged as received two hours ago - telling me there was a new posting in this thread.  When I checked - and this time checking first in 'Latest topics' - I found it was my posting timed 00.05, five past midnight UK, that I was being informed about.  I actually posted that almost 24 hours ago!  And it was my posting I was being informed about!  That's bizarre but it's not the first time it's happened.
Candlelight.kk
Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk on 8th March 2019, 00:14

@mac wrote:Now here's an odd one.....  I've just checked my email where I found a notification - logged as received two hours ago - telling me there was a new posting in this thread.  When I checked - and this time checking first in 'Latest topics' - I found it was my posting timed 00.05, five past midnight UK, that I was being informed about.  I actually posted that almost 24 hours ago!  And it was my posting I was being informed about!  That's bizarre but it's not the first time it's happened.

alienpop
Sorry mac for the confusion! I did actually make a reply to this thread - but deleted it shortly after pressing send. Reason being - I had quoted this from you:
Overall I'd say the 5 postings-per-page is a simpler option when following a thread daily or fairly often.

... indicating that (1) there was actually no option in the Poll to tick for 5 posts (that part being correct - if you check back up, you will see it goes 10, 20, 30, 40, or 50. )
Then (2); I went on to say that 10 is actually the minimum allowable on all the Forumotion forums ... so it wouldn't have been possible to make it 5 anyway - but once posted, I went into the setting up panel to check - and found that that's not the case at all. Embarassed You can actually make it whatever number you wish ... 3, 15, 28 ... whatever! Just that 50 is the maximum allowable! Felt a bit of an eejit on seeing this Mr. Green so I very quickly deleted what I had just posted. Obviously, the Forum, doing its job as it should ... sent the notification straight away that a new post had been made.
So, poor old LAL is getting the blame, wrongly, for my silly absent-minded mistake. chair
You're not going mad. laughing Mystery solved.

My excuse: I'm tired ... drunken
mac
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Post by mac on 8th March 2019, 02:35

I've tried various thread numbers on 'my' other place to 'tidy up' as some threads were a pain to scroll through when the posting number was set too high - more pages but I think they're more manageable, especially when using the 'Quote' and 'Multi Quote' buttons when responding.

It's sometimes interesting to try alternative formats but still can't figure why I'm notified about my own postings - and after such a long delay - guess that's the server/software tardiness.
Candlelight.kk
Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk on 8th March 2019, 20:55

@mac wrote:still can't figure why I'm notified about my own postings - and after such a long delay - guess that's the server/software tardiness.

But that's what I tried to explain in my post above.  You would have been notified about a new post which had just been made in that thread (this would be the new post that I had made - at the time that notification was sent (almost 24 hours after you had made your last post there).  Everyone  'watching' that post would have received that notification.  However, something like  4 or 5 minutes after I had posted it - and that notification had gone through to everyone - I decided to delete my post (for the reasons I've given up above).  The already sent notification about it of course could not be deleted, so anyone following that notification and coming to the forum - would just be brought to the last existing post that had been made in that thread (yours - at 00.05) as my deleted one no longer exists.

Does that solve the mystery for you now?
mac
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Post by mac on 9th March 2019, 00:11

@Candlelight.kk wrote:
@mac wrote:still can't figure why I'm notified about my own postings - and after such a long delay - guess that's the server/software tardiness.

But that's what I tried to explain in my post above.  You would have been notified about a new post which had just been made in that thread (this would be the new post that I had made - at the time that notification was sent (almost 24 hours after you had made your last post there).  Everyone  'watching' that post would have received that notification.  However, something like  4 or 5 minutes after I had posted it - and that notification had gone through to everyone - I decided to delete my post (for the reasons I've given up above).  The already sent notification about it of course could not be deleted, so anyone following that notification and coming to the forum - would just be brought to the last existing post that had been made in that thread (yours - at 00.05) as my deleted one no longer exists.

Does that solve the mystery for you now?
yep - my mistake - gettin' old sucks!
Misty
Misty
Seasoned Poster
Seasoned Poster

Post by Misty on 10th March 2019, 16:53

Nothing to do with getting old mac. I think kk just likes to keep us on our toes.  albino
mac
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Post by mac on 10th March 2019, 18:26

@Misty wrote:Nothing to do with getting old mac. I think kk just likes to keep us on our toes.  albino

maybe so!  lol
Candlelight.kk
Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk on 13th March 2019, 22:08

@mac wrote:
@Misty wrote:Nothing to do with getting old mac. I think kk just likes to keep us on our toes.  albino

maybe so!  lol

lol - I have trouble enough keeping on my own toes, as it is!  nuts
Candlelight.kk
Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk on 14th March 2019, 10:49

@mac wrote:Frustratingly on this 13.3" the emoticons window is fully displayed and way bigger with way more icons than I EVER use. If that window were narrower or elsewhere the 'Latest topics' window would be seen full width. But I guess that's down to the template and can't be user adjusted.

mac,
This should help with that problem: When you are in the posting box, writing a message or editing, etc - take a look down the bottom of that box, just outside the box to the left. You will see a boxed notice: "Toggle smileys panel". If you click that the smileys panel will disappear, thus enlarging the posting area and making it fuller, as it will then be brought over to the left margin where the smileys used to show. (Toggle back again if you want to use a smiley).
Hope that helps. Smile
mac
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Post by mac on 14th March 2019, 14:06

@Candlelight.kk wrote:
@mac wrote:Frustratingly on this 13.3" the emoticons window is fully displayed and way bigger with way more icons than I EVER use.  If that window were narrower or elsewhere the 'Latest topics' window would be seen full width.  But I guess that's down to the template and can't be user adjusted.

mac,
This should help with that problem:  When you are in the posting box, writing a message or editing, etc - take a look down the bottom of that box, just outside the box to the left.  You will see a boxed notice: "Toggle smileys panel".  If you click that the smileys panel will disappear, thus enlarging the posting area and making it fuller, as it will then be brought over to the left margin where the smileys used to show.  (Toggle back again if you want to use a smiley).
Hope that helps. Smile
It certainly makes the writing area larger, kk, but I don't find that an advantage and the 'Latest topics' box remains the same size needing scrolling on my 13.3" screen.  I guess that's down to the website's template configuration.

Thanks for your suggestion, though. Smile
Candlelight.kk
Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk on 14th March 2019, 14:37

@mac wrote:
@Candlelight.kk wrote:
@mac wrote:Frustratingly on this 13.3" the emoticons window is fully displayed and way bigger with way more icons than I EVER use.  If that window were narrower or elsewhere the 'Latest topics' window would be seen full width.  But I guess that's down to the template and can't be user adjusted.

mac,
This should help with that problem:  When you are in the posting box, writing a message or editing, etc - take a look down the bottom of that box, just outside the box to the left.  You will see a boxed notice: "Toggle smileys panel".  If you click that the smileys panel will disappear, thus enlarging the posting area and making it fuller, as it will then be brought over to the left margin where the smileys used to show.  (Toggle back again if you want to use a smiley).
Hope that helps. Smile
It certainly makes the writing area larger, kk, but I don't find that an advantage and the 'Latest topics' box remains the same size needing scrolling on my 13.3" screen.  I guess that's down to the website's template configuration.

Thanks for your suggestion, though. Smile

Hmmm .... Mine is a 13.3" screen also, and I don't have that problem. confused  The whole Forum width, including the right-hand widget panel, fits within the left and right boundaries without having to scroll over. 
When I look at the Forum on a 9" screen, I still don't experience any such problem; in both cases the forum sizes in a 100% auto-fit.  Same if I use the 'Website' view (as opposed to 'Mobile' view) on my mobile - an auto-fit width, just a mini-version of the whole Forum.

Not sure what else to suggest - it's obviously some adjustment that's got to be done from your side.
Candlelight.kk
Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk on 14th March 2019, 15:00

Aha!  Inspiration has just hit me! ...
You simply need to adjust the ZOOM in your browser toolbar.  Mine's set at 100%, but I can go up to 110% without a problem (still auto-fit on my 33.3" screen).  If I go any higher, the widget panel starts to slip out of view from the right side of my screen.
mac
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Post by mac on 14th March 2019, 19:40

You're right, kk.  I have the magnification set to allow easy reading of the default typeface.  If I reduce the on-screen magnification (Cntrl -) it brings all boxes fully on-screen but leaves text and buttons smaller than I'm comfortable with. 

I use a similar magnification level on all websites but only those filling the screen edge-to-edge are likely to be a similar problem.  My 27" all-in-one at home is unlikely to be a problem!  That's so big that I have to reduce the open window so I'm not moving my head side-to-side constantly!

thanks for trying!  Smile
Anonymous
Happy Medium

Post by Happy Medium on 4th April 2019, 15:24

The more the merrier, I say.  Cool
mac
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Post by mac on 4th April 2019, 19:33

hmmmm...... Rolling Eyes
Candlelight.kk
Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk on 4th April 2019, 20:23

Happy Medium wrote:The more the merrier, I say.  Cool

Thanks for your viewpost, Happy Medium.  I presume you have voted your choice in the Poll?
Candlelight.kk
Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk on 4th April 2019, 20:43

The Poll is still open and no definite choice has yet been made.

Not sure whether or not anyone has noticed ... but I have been experimenting for short periods with different numbers, leaving that number up for a week.  This week it's divided into 20 posts per page. 
No-one has so far made any comment (as to whether - oh yes, it's better this week ... or What the hell is going on? ... was fine yesterday, but not so today ...) so I guess no-one's really all that terribly bothered! pirat 

Well, I am going to leave the Poll open until the end of April (that way, we'll have got through all the numbered options questioned in the Poll.  So, whatever number is in play on 1st May will be the final count, and fixed thus, onwards for evermore.  (well ... at least until I get itchy experimental feet again ...) Mr. Green

So, keep voting folks!  If you haven't done so already, please come and have your say, while you can!

Thanks to all who have participated so far, and special thanks to any future prospective voters. I love you  

The next four weeks will be crucial! Basketball
ariel
ariel
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Post by ariel on 5th April 2019, 15:20

I opted for 50 posts but have since changed my mind.
Is there any way to undo a undo my original selection and/or swap it around?
Candlelight.kk
Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk on 5th April 2019, 22:35

@ariel wrote:I opted for 50 posts but have since changed my mind.

I'm afraid we can't change the poll, ariel - but if you just state your preference here, we can sort out the swapping once the poll has finished.
ariel
ariel
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Post by ariel on 6th April 2019, 19:40

@Candlelight.kk wrote:
@ariel wrote:I opted for 50 posts but have since changed my mind.

I'm afraid we can't change the poll, ariel - but if you just state your preference here, we can sort out the swapping once the poll has finished.

I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to change, hence my initial reaction.  Now I've got used to the present set-up, so I suggest now to keep it at 20, and that's my final answer. Promise! sidestep
Anonymous
Baron.C

Question To scroll or not to scroll

Post by Baron.C on 9th April 2019, 15:20

This site is a little gem.  Easy to navigate on any device. 
Irrelevant to me how many pages go to make up a topic. It's the content that matters.
Keep up the good work!
mac
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Post by mac on 9th April 2019, 19:28

Baron.C wrote:This site is a little gem.  Easy to navigate on any device. 
Irrelevant to me how many pages go to make up a topic. It's the content that matters.
Keep up the good work!
Don't be afraid of contributing a discussion topic yourself.  Smile
BaronC
BaronC
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Post by BaronC on 10th April 2019, 16:52

@mac wrote:Don't be afraid of contributing a discussion topic yourself.  Smile
I quite often do --- in my head.  
Now that I've managed to sort out my forgotten login details, might make things a bit easier.
mac
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Post by mac on 10th April 2019, 19:55

@BaronC wrote:
@mac wrote:Don't be afraid of contributing a discussion topic yourself.  Smile
I quite often do --- in my head.  
Now that I've managed to sort out my forgotten login details, might make things a bit easier.
It sure makes logging in easier but choosing the topic perhaps less so....  Neutral
Candlelight.kk
Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk on 11th April 2019, 14:35

30 posts per page showing from today, for a few days ......
Candlelight.kk
Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk on 24th April 2019, 12:40

Currently showing 10 ppp (posts per page) in any one topic.  
This number will remain for one week - until 30th April - when voting in the Poll will be closed and the majority choice at Poll closure will become default.  (At present with 27 votes - the majority choice shows 50).
mac
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Post by mac on 24th April 2019, 13:41

Coincidentally, and for a specific purpose, only this morning I've been testing the pages on 'my' other regular website. 

The software default was set at 5 per page and I tried changing that to 50 - everything worked fine but with lots of scrolling top-to-bottom for day-to-day use so I've now changed the setting to 10 per page.
Candlelight.kk
Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk on 24th April 2019, 17:46

@mac wrote:Coincidentally, and for a specific purpose, only this morning I've been testing the pages on 'my' other regular website. 

The software default was set at 5 per page and I tried changing that to 50 - everything worked fine but with lots of scrolling top-to-bottom for day-to-day use so I've now changed the setting to 10 per page.

'5 per page' seems an incredibly low number for a forum, but if they are all very long, detailed posts, I suppose it would make sense to split the pages in such a way.  Personally, though, when I come across a site, especially when it's for the first time, I like to see as much detail of what went before at a glance, without having to keep clicking on previous or next pages.  Also a bit of a nuisance when wanting to quote a post that might be 10, 11 or more pages back in the topic, worse still if you want to make multi-quotes in your reply.  Could get very confusing (for me anyway).
As for day-to-day use, I don't see that there would be any need for scrolling, as you would be automatically brought to the most recently made post (or posts) in the topic anyway.
mac
Gold Star Member
Gold Star Member

Post by mac on 24th April 2019, 18:13

@Candlelight.kk wrote:
@mac wrote:Coincidentally, and for a specific purpose, only this morning I've been testing the pages on 'my' other regular website. 

'5 per page' seems an incredibly low number for a forum, but if they are all very long, detailed posts, I suppose it would make sense to split the pages in such a way.  Personally, though, when I come across a site, especially when it's for the first time, I like to see as much detail of what went before at a glance, without having to keep clicking on previous or next pages.  Also a bit of a nuisance when wanting to quote a post that might be 10, 11 or more pages back in the topic, worse still if you want to make multi-quotes in your reply.  Could get very confusing (for me anyway).
As for day-to-day use, I don't see that there would be any need for scrolling, as you would be automatically brought to the most recently made post (or posts) in the topic anyway.
Well you've seen the range of threads there, kk.....  

Sometimes even 5 postings per page can result in a long page, particularly if they are detailed and/or previous-postings are quoted.  I agree it can be irksome when someone wants to quote a posting from a page from a long way back but that's not a frequent situation.  I don't use a cell phone to access the website but a thread with a large number of postings would need much scrolling on a small screen with so little text visible at any one time. 

How folk go on using a phone I don't know but they're too fiddly for my thick fingers (I'm actually slim but my finger tips are so much bigger than the symbols on a touch-screen keyboard) and for my tired eyes.  I guess folk get used to those things when a phone is all they have - and when they're younger!

The day-to-day scrolling I meant was when exploring the threads without being subscribed to any - new members are in that position when they first explore the website's topics.
Candlelight.kk
Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk on 1st May 2019, 15:20

How many posts per page?  (Poll now closed) T1rsz_15

Thanks to all who voted in this Poll.

The majority vote indicates that most are happy to continue with 50 posts per page.

The voting is now closed,
but the topic remains open for continued comments and discussion.
  • Reply to topic

Current date/time is 23rd August 2019, 13:19