Light After Life

Exploring the mysteries of our existence: Life, Death and Beyond. Afterlife, Mediumship, Spiritualism ~ Death is not the end; I am but waiting for you for an interval ...

4 posters

What is GDPR ?

Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

What is GDPR ? Empty What is GDPR ?

Post by Candlelight.kk Sat 26 May 2018 - 13:04

GDPR is now in operation - from 25th May 2018. 

But what exactly is GDPR ?  This link should make it all a little easier to understand:
    https://www.schemeserve.com/blog/need-know-idiots-guide-gdpr

You've probably been inundated over the last few weeks with annoying emails from companies and organisations all over the net, advising of their security & privacy terms, & giving you the option to continue receiving stuff from them or the choice to 'unsubscribe' from their marketing notifications. 

In short, all these online companies are now compelled by law to comply with the European security laws protecting people's privacy on line.  These new restrictions came into force on 25th May 2018 (yesterday) and basically, all that it means is that online personal data of every individual should now be a lot safer and more secure - giving the individual user more control over the stuff that gets shared or kept private.

What is GDPR ? 37106_10

Here on the forum, the security and privacy of all our members' data has always been a matter of top priority, so nothing has changed here with the introduction of these new laws.  The only thing that needs to be taken into consideration now - is that you will need to re-set your preferences again from your personal control profile panel.  (e.g. If you have set a preference to receive notifications by email when a reply has been mad to one of your watched topics on the forum - you might need to re-set that preference again.  Even though you might have the box ticked in the individual topic, or in the notifications bar at the top of the forum, it still needs to be ticked from your profile).  Otherwise, the default will be for no notifications etc.  Same goes for receiving Newsletters - you may already have requested to receive(or not) these notifications - but if you still want to receive them, you will now need to tick the box again in your profile.  New members registering on the forums will now automatically have to set these preferences before their registration can be accepted.
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

What is GDPR ? Empty Re: What is GDPR ?

Post by Candlelight.kk Wed 30 May 2018 - 11:38

What is GDPR ? PlXiCwr  gigle
    Misty
    Misty

Post by Misty Tue 5 Jun 2018 - 18:21

I used to always see the flashing NEW icon when I logged in to the forum telling me where a new post has been made in a forum since I was last logged in.  For the last 10 days or so I have not seen any.  I always check the link View posts since last visit and that lists the new posts that have been made, but that too used to show the NEW icon until I read the post and it would disappear --- but they have not been showing in there either.

Now that I have read this, I know the reason. duh  
    I just checked through the dropdown Forum Options at top of each forum and had to tick every one of them again to say Start watching this forum.   Now they are all showing for me again. very happy
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Tue 5 Jun 2018 - 19:00

Misty wrote:I used to always see the flashing NEW icon when I logged in to the forum telling me where a new post has been made in a forum since I was last logged in.  For the last 10 days or so I have not seen any.  I always check the link View posts since last visit and that lists the new posts that have been made, but that too used to show the NEW icon until I read the post and it would disappear --- but they have not been showing in there either.

I just checked through the dropdown Forum Options at top of each forum and had to tick every one of them again to say Start watching this forum.   Now they are all showing for me again. very happy

Hmmm ... I wonder if the same thing is happening for other members.  Bit of a vicious circle really; if you have read this announcement you will know what to do, but at the same time - unless you check the 'View new posts since last visit' link, you would not be immediately aware that this post was here anyway!

Flamin' nuisance this GDPR lark.  Since it came into operation - and indeed for a time beforehand, I have been inundated with unwanted emails telling me I can unsubscribe from these emails if I want to!  Grrrrrrrrr ...
    UNSUBSCRIBE has become the order of the day of late.  It's giving me unsubscribal nightmares. Mr. Green
    mac
    mac

Post by mac Tue 5 Jun 2018 - 19:39

After a flurry of opt-out screens on the various websites I use I've had nothing since.  It did take a bit of sorting out on some of 'em but it appears I've done all I needed to as I've accessed all of 'em since without problem or frustration....
    evergreen
    evergreen

Post by evergreen Fri 6 Jul 2018 - 22:11

Misty wrote:I used to always see the flashing NEW icon when I logged in to the forum telling me where a new post has been made in a forum since I was last logged in.  For the last 10 days or so I have not seen any.  I always check the link View posts since last visit and that lists the new posts that have been made, but that too used to show the NEW icon until I read the post and it would disappear --- but they have not been showing in there either.

Thanks Misty. excited 
    I had the same thing.  Just stopped getting notifications and didn't know why.  The only notifications I was getting was the newsletter, which is what brought me here now, today's newsletter came in my email.

Now I realise it's since the introduction of the General Data Protection Regulation.  We all have to redo all our preferences again. Just checked the forum actions dropdown menu.  I had all forums ticked to watch before.  Had to re-tick all the "start watching this forum" boxes again.
    Candlelight.kk
    Candlelight.kk

Post by Candlelight.kk Sun 8 Jul 2018 - 12:42

It's good to report in here any problems you're experiencing with the board.
    If we don't know there's a problem - we can't fix it!-

I'm glad to see those issues have now been sorted. thumb

You have to be on the ball in this hi-tech age; things are forever updating and changing.  You just get used to and comfortable with one thing and then another happens! If you blink an eye for too long you can get left behind.  Keeps us on our toes though.  I try to keep everyone informed of changes as and when they happen here but if anything does happen to slip through the net there are lots of different ways here for all of us to seek help with whatever issue we are experiencing.
    No-one should be left out in the dark.  Sure, isn't that what this Forum is all about  pirat it's even in the title ... 'Light'.   Lighting up the dark ... Wink
    Misty
    Misty

Post by Misty Sun 8 Jul 2018 - 15:11

Candlelight.kk wrote:It's good to report in here any problems you're experiencing with the board.
    If we don't know there's a problem - we can't fix it!-

I'm glad to see those issues have now been sorted. thumb

You have to be on the ball in this hi-tech age; things are forever updating and changing.  You just get used to and comfortable with one thing and then another happens! If you blink an eye for too long you can get left behind.  Keeps us on our toes though.  I try to keep everyone informed of changes as and when they happen here but if anything does happen to slip through the net there are lots of different ways here for all of us to seek help with whatever issue we are experiencing.
    No-one should be left out in the dark.  Sure, isn't that what this Forum is all about  pirat it's even in the title ... 'Light'.   Lighting up the dark ... Wink

to be sure to be sure KK  gigle  this thread has thrown some light on the matter.   Cool

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024 - 2:39